Is dyno tune a must for a hondata boosted d - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Is dyno tune a must for a hondata boosted d

So every tuner around here is just stupid expensive. Im boosting my car Its a 96 civic cx with a d15b vtec swap.p28 ecu with the obd1 to 2 jumper harness... garret turbo internal wg with a 5lb spring. Hondata.v3 is on its way in the mail. I can chip it myself piece of cake . Is there anyway to tune this myself or is that too risky. Im hoping on keeping injectors fuel pump and everything stock should make less changes ti be had . Help appreciated!
1.5L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

That's a lot of time and effort spent to only run 5psi. Have you even checked to see if the stock pump and injectors will flow enough for 5psi?

I'd upgrade the fuel system, pay for a tune and happy days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

https://www.d-series.org/forums/natu...-pressure.html

priorities right?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Formerly weebeastie

Rep Power: 13 Soul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

LOL. I'm going to echo the above statements. Stock fuel injectors, and fuel pump are going to spell disaster for you. They literally will not flow enough fuel for the mystery "Garrett" turbocharger you have selected with internal waste gate. Is it a t25, or a GT28rs? Maybe a gt2871r? Either way. They are stock. Your peak power potential will be highly limited by them.

Will you be able to tune it?

Its highly doubtful if you don't understand the need for larger fuel injectors and a higher lph/gph fuel pump.

If you have the money to buy a Hondata S300 V3, surely you can pay a tuner the $300 to $500 he is going to want in order to dyno tune it, or even street tune it for you.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Every tuner here costs around 25% more than hondata and 1k is the cheapest . But its all good ill figure it out with this mystery turbo and all. Its one of those u mentioned but ya peace

And I get the need for it bud its not that i wouldnt take a fuel pump if it were free but there not so thanks tips

Last edited by slo_eg8; 05-28-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

if you don't like the answers, don't ask the question. its your car, your money, your time. build it, blow it, repeat.

cheap
fast
reliable

PICK 2
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5L View Post
And I get the need for it bud its not that i wouldnt take a fuel pump if it were free but there not so thanks tips
I think you've underestimated how much it'll cost to turbo your car.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Get a fuel pump, they aret much cost, cheap junk yard injectors (find a rdx in pick n pull for example) and a wide band. Load stock ignition maps and pull timing in boost. Grab a fuel map off another tune file that is close to your setup. Watch wideband and make fuel adjustments as need. Once you have fuel figured idle through WOT;
rent a dyno for an hour and make a detcan and adjust timing as needed. ( or do it in a safe place to do some WOT pulls with some load (hill or higher gear))

Simplest way to get it running ok without "a tune"

And if you went with crome and a chipped ecu over s300 the money saved would buy a fuel pump and new injectors
Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

You can get really close w a street tune.

Like Evanguy said, start by dialing in the fuel across all driving conditions...that on its own will take a while. Then when the fuel is dialed in, you can use a det can during WOT pulls to add timing until you hear detonation and then pull back a degree or two.

I got my supercharged CRX real close before getting it on the dyno. There was very little to be gained on the dyno after street timing w the above method although I did find some power down low.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 clorbag is worse than Satan's assholeclorbag is worse than Satan's asshole

I would street tune and not cheap out. Worst case I’d you gotta start from scratch.
clorbag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Ok I wont cheap out. Not paying thick forc tune though f that .. Thanks you guys !! 🙂.....
Old 05-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Unless you have a spare motor to burn up while you learn how to tune, I suggest paying someone proper to tune it if you boost it right away.

You could always get the full tuning setup and practice tuning the stock motor setup.

You can learn how to read datalogs, learn what settings do what, and significantly increase your chances of a successful turbo build if you plan on doing it all by yourself.

I personally have not blown a motor street tuning, but I also took a metric shit ton of baby steps while learning. I also stayed away from steep hills and high traffic areas until a baseline was done in a safe manner.

First and foremost, do NOT do any sort of tuning until the motor is fully warmed up, you will be fighting all the fuel trimming and enrichments. Get it running good enough that it doesnt hurt anything by dialing back ignition timing and adding a bit of fuel.

Once fully warmed up, dip your toes and strap yourself in.

If it matters at all to you, anything under a $1000 for a top to bottom dyno and street tune from a professional is a good price.

You are paying someone's labor time, dyno cost, any employee's paychecks, food, business utilities, software licenses, etc...

For someone to be trusted with a strange-to-them setup for 2-10 hours while they perfect the setup, a grand or less is more than worthwhile.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I should refrase that Idont wanna pay a k to a non reputable tuner. Might have to look for one in a bigger city near me..
Old 08-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 32 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

Tuning a car is potentially expensive but what's also potentially expensive is not tuning it. Either way you will end up paying out. You can tune it yourself but keep in mind it's difficult to get a solid tune on the street. Some good advice is posted above, consider what's being suggested. Good luck.

Check out my civic build here -->

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 someone is learning the way of the Dsomeone is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Unless you have a spare motor to burn up while you learn how to tune, I suggest paying someone proper to tune it if you boost it right away.

You could always get the full tuning setup and practice tuning the stock motor setup.

You can learn how to read datalogs, learn what settings do what, and significantly increase your chances of a successful turbo build if you plan on doing it all by yourself.

I personally have not blown a motor street tuning, but I also took a metric shit ton of baby steps while learning. I also stayed away from steep hills and high traffic areas until a baseline was done in a safe manner.

First and foremost, do NOT do any sort of tuning until the motor is fully warmed up, you will be fighting all the fuel trimming and enrichments. Get it running good enough that it doesnt hurt anything by dialing back ignition timing and adding a bit of fuel.

Once fully warmed up, dip your toes and strap yourself in.

If it matters at all to you, anything under a $1000 for a top to bottom dyno and street tune from a professional is a good price.

You are paying someone's labor time, dyno cost, any employee's paychecks, food, business utilities, software licenses, etc...

For someone to be trusted with a strange-to-them setup for 2-10 hours while they perfect the setup, a grand or less is more than worthwhile.
x2
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in