Re programming after manifold swap? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Re programming after manifold swap?

Hey guys i just bought a civic with a built d16 turbo engine with the common vitara setup, its been running fine but the manifold was cracked badly and blowed like hell also looked like a 10year old welded the manifold so the quality is s*it. im not a bad welder and considering making a new manifold myself, but the flow will look a bit different, my question is does the ECU needs reprogramming with a different manifold?

Thanks in advance
try_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

You probably will be fine really. probably not much difference unless its radically different manifold deisgn or shape, and that may only change the spool rpm. If you have a wide band o2 id just watch that..

If you made no changes to the fuel maps and you see leaner numbers you will make power with a tune. If the wide band says richer numbers you have lost power

If your wide band says the same. Then the motor is flowing the same and tune wont help anything

Last edited by Evanguy; 05-09-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

thx for the quick answer, yes i have AEM uego wideband fitted, I will try to make the similar shape manifold as it was on before

Old 05-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I'm assuming exhaust manifold? (EDIT: Didn't see your reply about the wideband)

Either way I don't think it would matter much on the intake or exhaust unless they were dramatically different designs Like Evan stated above.

The question now is what style did you have and what style are you planing on replicating?

Are you a good enough fabricator that you feel you could take the job on?
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Update: now i installed a new exhaust manifold, the following problem occurs: since now there's no exhaust leak the turbo spins more freely, when i floor the gas pedal at 3rd gear around 4k rpm i get a boost cut because the turbo want to overboost, my aem uego ufr was reading nothing (only the 3 red - - - so there was something wrong, i turned down the boost on the manual controller (cheap ebay) car runs fine there's no overboost cut at all but my afr doesn't work anymore, its just stuck at 14.7 which probably means the sensor is gone. Can i still safely use the car with the bad afr?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by try_all View Post
Update: now i installed a new exhaust manifold, the following problem occurs: since now there's no exhaust leak the turbo spins more freely, when i floor the gas pedal at 3rd gear around 4k rpm i get a boost cut because the turbo want to overboost, my aem uego ufr was reading nothing (only the 3 red - - - so there was something wrong, i turned down the boost on the manual controller (cheap ebay) car runs fine there's no overboost cut at all but my afr doesn't work anymore, its just stuck at 14.7 which probably means the sensor is gone. Can i still safely use the car with the bad afr?
Really depends on your fuel maps. I wouldn't risk it, it's running lean you could be in a world of hurt very quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Agree^

Can you try recalibration the sensor?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

To see if it is actually running lean instead of a bad sensor, just pop a coupler off the intercooler. It should run way differently, and the sensor should indicate as such.

If the sensor still continues to say lean, drive it gently until a new sensor is installed.

Most AEM UEGO sensors do respond to a new calibration, so follow the instructions AEM has available!

Another option, though ghetto, is to remove the wastegate gasket, reinstall the wastegate (assuming it is external) and let it make that horrible leaky sound once again until you hit your tuner up.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

i took the o2 sensor out and did the break cleaner in the rag trick, it stayed on 14.7 didn't moved anywhere, im 99% sure that my sensor is crap
Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

also i forgot to tell in my update comment, after the manifold swap the car was running great for about 30minutes, and that was a full throttle run without mercy, the hard 2step launches could have killed the sensor and caused the car to cut the boost as it was reading bad signals, anyway new sensor is ordered, after fitting the new sensor i will update again if problem still there or not
Old 05-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Never heard of the brake cleaner and rag thing.

Perform the re-calibration and post back.

Dont do backyard tricks before proper diagnostics when they are available.

brake cleaner itself can kill the sensor quite easily.

Build what you have!

Old 05-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

This is the test i have done,
Old 05-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

That test actually looks great.

I guess in my head I was picturing a rag dripping with brake cleaner being wrapped around the sensor.

Looks like you diagnosed it correctly.

Does AEM have any sort of warranty on their sensors? maybe they will cover the new sensor you are waiting on.

Build what you have!

Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

swapped the sensor and problem solved
Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Formerly weebeastie

Rep Power: 13 Soul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

How does your AFR look now under boost? Any dramatic changes? Going back to the original topic of how much did it change.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Wide band O2s do not last very long, especially daily driving.
I would change mine about once a year maybe two years. It would start reading completely wrong at times.
PLX with a VW wideband.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Engineering View Post
How does your AFR look now under boost? Any dramatic changes? Going back to the original topic of how much did it change.
no dramatic changes under full boost its around 12 and 12.1
Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Update: The car started to smoke badly on higher rpm, checked my turbo for play it have an accceptable side to side play but it has also in and out play which means bad. is it worth to rebuild a gt2871r turbo or just better get a new one?
Old 06-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

call up https://gpopshop.com/ and get some pricing for a rebuild kit or rebuilt turbo. they re-built mine
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

smoking at high rpm can be a ton of things.

Sometimes with turbo builds it can simply be the turbo getting too much oil pressure.

I would make sure the motor itself isnt smoking from bad piston rings or valvetrain seals first before pointing finger at turbo

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in