Oil and Water Lines - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Oil and Water Lines

Hello,

I am curious as to where I can tap into on a D16Y1 engine to supply a turbo with both oil and water. I will be taking the engine out of the car in order to rebuild it, so if there is any drilling of the block/sump, I can do that whilst I have it out.

Thanks
Racer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

i use a sandwich plate for my oil feed to my turbo.

you could also remove your idiot light sensor and use that spot as your oil feed.

as for water im not sure as ive never used a water cooled turbo. though if i was doing it i would probably tap off of one of the lines that runs to the throttle body and just ad the turbo into that loop but again ive never done it before so im uncertain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

That's great, thanks for the info.

What sort of boost can you run through a non water cooled turbo? I'm still researching these sort of things and I thought all turbos were water cooled

Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

im running 15psi through mine right now.

i wouldnt be scared to run 30 through it. ive never heard that you could run more boost through water cooled turbos.

non water cooled turbos are cooled by the oil that runs through them.

to my knowledge its just a preference thing.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I see. This is really helpful, thanks.

Most articles I have read mention water cooling, but it helps to hear you don't necessarily need to use it
Old 01-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

I'll be running a sammich plate for an oil cooler and doing the idiot light bit to source for the turbo, with a few 50 cent bits added to have a port for oil pressure gauge and for the idiot light. If you do that remember ppl have posted horror stories about just teeing off the sensor port. Moving it to the firewall (very well documented) is quick and easy.

Plus for 2 bucks of bits and fittings you can add ports like I did.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

For my turbo I ran water lines from the IACV
NoShowAllGo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

For oil, as civicdxude said either a sandwich plate or removing the instrument cluster oil light sending unit entirely and tapping in there.

Water is a different story.

I was trying to find you a white paper PDF that Garrett released about this very subject.

It was a great engineering paper, but Garrett stupified their website recently, made it way too sales oriented and harder to find the good research papers. All of the old links redirect to this stupid sales monstrosity.

I found the document they replaced the original with, they cut out all of the good important stuff and summed it up with a sales pitch. It seems like they are going that with all their documents now.

You need to make sure one line has a source to "cold" and the other has a source to "hot" water. For my Y8, "hot" side I used a nipple off the intake that tee'd into the passage that lead to the heater core, and the "cold" is the nipple that's on the water pipe between the thermostat housing and back of the water pump.

There is a really good reason for the need for temperature differential, as well as making sure there is forced circulation in one direction through the circuit. Also making sure the CHRA is angled so that the "hot" water outlet is higher than the "cold" water inlet. This allows for temperature differential coolant circulation that still occurs naturally even when the engine is off.

Anyways, if you have a water cooled CHRA then you must run water through it. If you don't it will cause hot zone issues, as the metal they remove from the CHRA to allow for a water jacket around the rotating assembly has to be filled with something that allows for heat transfer.

Otherwise, it's just a pocket of air and the bearing/journal nearest the turbine housing will feel the wrath of excessive heat build up first. You're just asking for problems not running water to it.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 02:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Incredible info. Many thanks.

When you talk about a sandwich plate, I have googled what they look like but I'm just curious as to where to run it from or where to tap into.

I do want this to last, so I will take your info on the water supply and run with it, drtalon123.

Thanks again everyone. It's pretty obvious that this is the first time I have attempted a project at this scale, so any and all information is welcome.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer75 View Post
When you talk about a sandwich plate, I have googled what they look like but I'm just curious as to where to run it from or where to tap into.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOWSHIFT-H...:rk:1:razz:f:0

Head to that link. The sandwich plate goes between the block and the oil filter, and has threaded ports in the aluminum for access to clean side engine oil pressure.

Run your turbo oil pressure line from one of these ports. It also supplies you with additional ports for other accessories like an oil pressure gauge/sending unit, etc.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

A quick search. https://www.d-series.org/forums/forc...ant-lines.html
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Then oil from the turbo is returned to the oil sump via a bung. Correct?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer75 View Post
Then oil from the turbo is returned to the oil sump via a bung. Correct?
Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in