Noob turbo tuning - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Noob turbo tuning

So I will be building a boosted z6, I'm doing a stock rebuild, plan to run maybe 8-10lbs, not looking to build a race car but a fun family cruiser. My question whats the best an easiet tuning out there thats cheap an some what noob friendly?? There aint any close dyno tuners in my area so if I can street tune it my self that would be a big plus or maybe a company I could send out my ecu to get chipped an socketed with a basic street tune??? I have been told go with the honda 300 but trying to see whats all out there thays cheap an some what easy to use. Thanks for any help guys
siccivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by siccivic View Post
so if I can street tune it my self that would be a big plus or maybe a company I could send out my ecu to get chipped an socketed with a basic street tune???
It seems you are wanting to actually get it to a dyno/professional tuner after it's built right? If so, I would start by trying to find a tuner now. Ask the tuner what he/she prefers for hardware/software, as you would hate to get to a tuner with a system they won't touch.

In either case, with just about any system, yes there are companies that can get you safe tunes created based on just information from your build. These tunes are only really designed to get you to the nearest dyno/tuner. These tunes are great options for folks in your position (where you live pretty far away from the nearest reputable tuner). Do a search regarding "remote tuning options" for your car in Google, and see what others have used to accomplish that task. You can also call reputable tuning companies to get more information on this.

Street Tuning a car yourself is tough if you know hardly anything about the systems that control it. When you say noob, I guess providing a bit of your own personal background might make this easier. Most "noobs" simply buy the "cheap option" engine management systems that their tuner suggests, then throw it on the tuner to "make it work". If you are wanting to do things yourself, can you currently answer yes to any/all of the below?

1. You have a good handle on engine tuning theory

2. You have had your hand in diagnosing electronic and mechanical driveability issues on modern engines

3. You are familiar with and understand the premise behind electronic fuel and ignition control systems

4. You don't mind chancing breaking something critical or expensive yourself to further your own growth with this subject matter

If you answered yes to all of the above, then it really doesn't matter which engine management system you choose for personal usage on your vehicle. They are all relatively the same. The important part is that you understand a tuning product's feature-set, and understanding what it all means for your engine and for your ability to tune. Just do your due-diligence before hand so you know what you are buying to make sure it will work with your application.

If you answered no to all, instead of simply asking what's cheap and easy to use, you need to ask yourself if you are willing to invest the time required to be able to answer "yes" to all of those number points. Research everything you can on the subject of tuning and check out use cases from other users who were willing to share their "self-taught tuning journey" with the world. There are many folks out there who have intimately shared what they have learned, free to the world on YouTube/other places.

It's easy to narrow choices down by price, but "ease of use" is to each their own. For Honda's, I find Neptune and Hondata's software interfaces fantastic due to their "ease of use", but many of my friends who are extremely "computer savvy" yet not so "car savvy" often look over at what I'm doing to my car with my laptop, don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing and might as well relate "tuning" to hacking into the pentagon.

Following up with the statement in your OP about being a noob to this stuff, if you do plan to "self-learn", I would say you need to do a few weeks worth of studying up on modern engine operation and tuning theory to understand how engine control computers, their electromechanical component counterparts and tuning software/hardware tie the whole she-bang together.

If you don't feel like investing the time, I promise you will save yourself headache and money by just finding a good tuner and asking the tuner what they recommend and buy that. Let them tune the car when you finish the mechanical build.

If you're like me (hardheaded and wanting to understand how everything works together), do your research and read about other user's experiences that are already posted everywhere on Al Gore's internet. You will come to a sound conclusion regarding product choice on your own, because you know your skillset best.

If you come back to this post after a ton of research and have found like 3 different product choices, and want the pros and cons of them from forum members geared toward a noob, that's a better starting point and others will be likely to provide more helpful information.

Hope this helps.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Turboedit is super easy to learn and understand but it’s certainly a bit antiquated. And it’s OBD0 as well.

The Honda S300 has everything you could ever want but the learning curve is steep. I would only go with the S300 if you had an amazing local tuner who used it or if you have a lot of time and energy to learn it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in