Preferred method to CCW rotate an Eaton M62 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Preferred method to CCW rotate an Eaton M62

Hi.

I have searched...
and searched... and searched some more.

A few members here have done this. I don't know if they are still active or not.

I want to use a Mercedes c230 Eaton M62 charger with the clutch pulley . The only thing holding me up is switching to the ccw rotation.

Can i simply flip the rotor pack & snout around, drilling out the top holes a little bit? Done?

Some people say I need to pull the rotors off the shafts, flip the shafts, and reinstall the rotors. This is to accommodate the rotors having 'worn' themselves to that side of the case. Is this accurate?

Last pic is for attention. it sure got mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2608ea6s-960.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	125355   Click image for larger version

Name:	d43725cs-960.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	125357   Click image for larger version

Name:	15724817_728883027259762_8612477053329914328_o.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	125359  
EFing8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Rabid is the only person I know of who can really answer your question because he’s done it.

For what it’s worth, the supercharger case and the rotors should never “wear” themselves together. There should be no contact between the rotors and the bores of the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Rabid is the only person I know of who can really answer your question because he’s done it.

For what it’s worth, the supercharger case and the rotors should never “wear” themselves together. There should be no contact between the rotors and the bores of the case.
I am really hoping that Rabid shows up and chimes in with the info.

I didn't think there would be any 'wearing' or 'pairing' to the bores of the case. I read it somewhere, and it stuck in the back of my head like bad science.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

It's an M63 Eaton.

It loses about 10% pumping eff. spinning it backwards. Even the Eaton engineers didn't believe it, but they tested it and that was the numbers we were given.

Eaton company used to have a free day at Milan Dragway, I thing it was the first Tuesday after summer started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Oh yeah, then cheap turbo setups came along and the whole idea ditched.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Cheap turbo's and abundant tuning options sure did change the game for everyone.

There are still a few good reasons to try this, over a small turbo setup. I also like the idea of using an n/a tune and sc tune, using my oem a/c switch (a/c is long gone) to switch maps and turn the charger on/off. *press button* *light comes on* c'mon! Below 2krpm of course, I know the clutch doesn't like to be turned on/off at higher speeds. Then there is the part about the sc sounding awesome. Sometimes I drive long distances and it would be great to be able to kill the sound and save fuel. Edit: it won't even save fuel. it might even use more because of the restrictive intake.

Last edited by EFing8; 12-17-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: i'm a dummy
Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

This is an example of one that has just had the rotor pack flipped around inside the case.

Normally the blades would be oriented like the green line, not the red line. To match up with the outlet port angles.

Is this how people are using it and only getting 10% loss?

cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flipped.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	125363  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

0:58 these guys are pulling air IN the outlet and OUT the inlet. Is this the way people are doing it??
Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

There's no reason why you should get worse fuel economy with a supercharger. I didn't notice any difference in my highway fuel economy when i put mine on. Just make sure it's tuned well and run a wideband sensor.

Also after driving it i reckon you'll think the switch idea is dumb and you'll just leave it on.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Ya, you are right, good point. Now about this ccw rotation that has me perplexed. I'm seeing a lot of Russians using them, with what appears to be, good success. But I don't speak Sputnik and can't understand the videos.

This new 3rd method of pulling air in the outlet seems insane to me, but they are doing it!
Old 12-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFing8 View Post
Ya, you are right, good point. Now about this ccw rotation that has me perplexed. I'm seeing a lot of Russians using them, with what appears to be, good success. But I don't speak Sputnik and can't understand the videos.

This new 3rd method of pulling air in the outlet seems insane to me, but they are doing it!
See my notes above. "TimtheStick" was the originator of the idea on his del Sol.

But the issue is the SC is mounted so far forward it breaks the bolts off. My design (never finished) tucks the SC against the block but a custom header is needed.

Search AKSC on here.

Also note you need a way bigger crank pulley to spin the SC to even get near it's max speed.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I must have miss understood this from the beginning.

You are telling me, that sucking air IN the outlet
and pushing it OUT the inlet, only causes a 10% loss in efficiency?

I did a search for 'TimtheStick' but not a lot comes up. I believe they sell a header on ebay now that would achieve what you were after.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You can just flip the bearing housing and snout on the rotor housing. You'll have to oblong the holes in the center because they are spaced a little different to prevent this. I did everything the hard way by taking it all apart to replace seals and bearings. Do not do that unless you really want a headache.

Quote:
Yes, that's what they are saying.
rabid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Wow. I am as dumbfounded as those Eaton employees then. I would never had guessed that would work. A testament to how little I understand about how these things work.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
I must have miss understood this from the beginning.

I did a search for 'TimtheStick' but not a lot comes up. I believe they sell a header on ebay now that would achieve what you were after.
Likely the same one they were selling 15+ years ago....

Quote:
Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

So yeah, if you’re spinning it backwards and then using the inlet as an outlet and the outlet as an inlet...I can see how that would work.

Could be helpful if you’re locating the supercharger ok the front on the block but worthless if you’re trying to incorporate the supercharger into an intake manifold.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 12-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

TimtheStick on here (I thought that was his username) did the design with hanging the Eaton WAY out and keeping the OEM D15B7 exhaust manifold. Except the bolts kept breaking. My design above used crank main bolts that were laying in a box, was a pain to fine nuts for them.

We also had a Rotrex from a BMW to play with, way before Oscar Jackson started using them on the K and L motors.

But I will say this, a M63 being spun backwards on a D15B7, the NOISE is makes, seems like something is sucking your soul away.

Gutted D15B7 del Sol, on my 20x8x14 sicks at 13 PSI, using a Holley Line-Loc on the clutch for cutting a near perfect RT, went 14.00...on stock injectors using early version of Hondata.

I have ALL the videos on a HDD backed up....somewhere.

Oh yeah, WAY BACK.....

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r17...leys-111s.html

The GSR M90 del Sol (Scho's) vs. my D16Z6 EG HB on 75 shot of ZEX, Scho gained 1/2 car at launch (BFG Drag Radials and Hondata Launch Control) and we stayed that even until....well we went to stoopid speeds on a 35 mph road in Taylor Michigan.

100+ in a 35 and it was a dead heat, then we gained out senses and we never did that again.

M90 vs. a REAL blower from Tim's dad (Pop's) 67 Chevelle....

"Thats not a blower, THIS is a BLOWER!"

Quote:
Old 12-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Tim the Stick was his username....now a guest....

https://www.d-series.org/forums/tran...-friction.html

Quote:
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Yay for superchargers! Way to do it guys, roots boost is best!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I was poking through, and saw the post about breaking bolts when mounted in the AC position.

If someone were to remake the AC bracket to include the torque mount arm, this can prevent broken bolts.

The question would be, is the custom plate bracket worthwhile to produce?

You could have some triangulation with the power steering mounting holes, and use a bracket to "hang" the outer edge of the SC belly to reduce bolt stress, but you are then probably looking to drill out and tap the PS bracket holes for larger bolts, as many eat the threads after someone does a German Torque Spec on them.

I am curious overal, because I have a chippable OBD1 ecu in my hands for my 95 accord, an M62 would be a fun little match up, especially since I have a two piece intake manifold.....

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in