Need help building a z6!! I'm new at this. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Need help building a z6!! I'm new at this.

Hi guys, I'm a new member to D-series and I need help with suggestions or recommendations on parts I've already picked out for a future D16Z6 build. I have never built a car before and plan to build my first Honda very soon. Of course all of my parts are from eBay and I need people who build these cars to help me(ALL OPINIONS ALLOWED). Ill include my parts list with prices. I know that I need a fuel system, but I have no idea which. My goal is for around 450-500whp.

CXRacing Inter-cooler and BOV($199)
Skunk2 Intake Manifold + 70mm Throttlebody($379)
GT3582 Turbo($114)
Ram Horn Turbo manifold($97)
Gram 1000cc Injectors($440)
ARP Headstuds and Bolts($120)
YCP Vitara 75mm Pistons and Rods + NPR rings($440)
Skunk2 Valve Springs Ti retainers($289)
COMP Cam 59300($266)
AEM Cam Gear($101)
King Main Rod Bearings($3
Chipped P28 ECU ($179)

This is clearly a budget build and I'm new at this, so go easy on me. If any of you were wondering, the Z6 would be going into EG Coupe when I find one. I don't plan on getting the Block machine as I'm on a budget. If anyone has suggestions Ide appreciate the help thanks guys.
ptcutie05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

If it's a budget build, i would take the following things off your list:

Skunk2 Intake Manifold + 70mm Throttlebody($379)
Skunk2 Valve Springs Ti retainers($289)
COMP Cam 59300($266)
AEM Cam Gear($101)

You can still make good power without those^. And i'd add:

- Metal head gasket
- factor in some cash to clean up the head and the block
- fuel pressure regulator
- fuel pump
- rods
- Find someone good to tune your car and see what type of management they're comfortable tuning with.

Also do people still build with vitara pistons? I thought they dump your compression ratio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I see Vitara builds on Youtube still alot. And I was reading into headgaskets both on here and Honda-tech and most that boost them still use OEM headgaskets.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Have you worked out what your compression ratio would be with those pistons?

Old 09-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

The "Vitara Info" thread states "D16z6 with standard length Rods and Vitaras- 7.64 to 1" which to me is just numbers. I'm pretty new at all of this, and since you mentioned that I need new rods and possibly pistons. What are some good affordable recommendations? Everyone says if your going cheap go Vitara.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

if you can find them, get the fjt custom length rods with the vitaras, or find some eagles. hell, if you look hard enough, you can find some forged slugs for a pretty good price.

y8 headgaskets are mls (multi layer steel) and theyre oem.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

What eagles should I run with? I know some sellers on eBay offer a combo with the Vitara's but not sure which ones I should run with. do you have any suggestions for the other parts I listed above?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

whatever eagle rod they make for your engine.

stock head, upgrade your injectors and fuel pump
hondata or whatever software you want to use
stock oil pump
y8 headgasket
mill the head a little bit
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 09-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Alright man thanks for the suggestions... what do you think about the no notch speed factory rods, are those any good?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

check the reviews and decide for yourself
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcutie05 View Post
The "Vitara Info" thread states "D16z6 with standard length Rods and Vitaras- 7.64 to 1" which to me is just numbers. I'm pretty new at all of this, and since you mentioned that I need new rods and possibly pistons. What are some good affordable recommendations? Everyone says if your going cheap go Vitara.
Holy moly that's low. I can't see why anyone would want to run pistons with that low CR. Find some pistons that get you in the high 8's, and find a good tuner and chat about what management they're comfortable tuning with.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Do you have any suggestions for pistons at a similar price?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Most people who go for a budget build over 400whp already are familiar with hondas.

I highly suggest starting with the tuning solution, and dinking around with that first on a factory, stock car.

Get familiar with what functions do and how the motor reacts, it will be a lot safer for you.

Then do things small. grab your fuel injectors and fuel pump, dial in a tune.

You will have some fun, as the ol D series motors really take to a modern injector.

Then, save and stockpile turbo parts.

Look for a cheap second motor to build up if you really want over 400whp.

Else, you REALLY need to make sure the brakes, tires, and suspension are SAFE and up to the task of dealing with power.

Almsot ZERO new honda/turbo enthusiasts realize how janky a stock or hgih mileage civic acts with even as little as 180whp

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the advice man!! Especially for a newbie like me, this info is crucial. Do you suggest my Gram 1000cc injectors and a Walbro 255lph for starting off or start even smaller?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I have no clue about gram injectors.

I do suggest you start with the injectors you plan on using in the future. No need to buy them twice.

I do suggest a better tuning solution such as hondata, or aem inifinity.

a chip tune is USABLE, but without a Demon or similar, having to pop the chip out to reflash every time will get old as shit

EDIT browse xenocron.com for some more guidance. Great customer service via email also if you have specific questions.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Vitara pistons suck if you don’t use custom length rods which are hard to find. If you shave the block or the head enough to bring the CR back up you’ll likely need an adjustable cam gear to adjust for the reduced height.

Since budget is a concern, I’d suggest some sort of aftermarket OEM style pistons with forged rods.

Never understood the idea of running lower compression with forced induction builds. If your tune is good, you can run definitely run OEM or higher compression. People have taken to this idea the a lower CR is safer which isn’t true. It’s all about how you tune it

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 09-13-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

First, shoot for a lower number. Around 300-350. Your 450-500 whp figure is fraught with broken ringlands, grenaded blocks and if it survives, immense turbo lag.

Get a good turbo (not China).
Get a good mini/full ramhorn manifold.
Get a Y8 style intake manifold.
For intercooler and piping, feel free to use chinesium with good quality hose clamps.
Get a bigger fuel pump.
Get a Hondata S300 or Neptune RTP.
A good tune with a wideband and looking at plugs.
Whatever pistons you go with, clearance properly as per manufacturer recommendations.

You don't need (to start with):
Aftermarket valves/retainers.
Junk2 intake manifold.

Good luck.

cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks man!!! I Figured 450-500whp was reasonable for the parts I had. I've never been in a "quick" Honda but I know the power/weight ratio is great. Since you recommend none Chinese turbo, do you have any suggestions for budget turbos for the power levels you suggested? People keep telling to me to use custom length rods for Vitara's as the CR is low, but what does "custom length" mean? I read somewhere that it means 138.63 mm rods and I know Skunk2 has they're Alpha series, but nobody mentions them.

Last edited by ptcutie05; 09-14-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

CR = Compression ratio.

Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS LLC - WWW.GO-AUTOWORKs.COM on the turbo.

Look up Humble Performance https://humbleperformance.com
They have built a few high horse "D" motors on eBay parts.
They have a youtube page as well look them up worth your time.
Alex @ Humble can also do remote tuning and sales ecu's with Hondata already installed he is a dealer for them.
Depending on your location might be worth setting up an appointment for a dyno tune.
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

Humble is the worst recommendation anyone could ever make. If you want a professional tune remotely, contact speedfactory. If your interested in Neptune products, I am a dealer. I can also remote tune. I will recommend a lot of bigger name guys to you if you wish, however humble is not on that list.
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
budget, budget build, coupe d16z6, d16, d16z6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in