Oil Restrictor Size on D16A6 with Turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Oil Restrictor Size on D16A6 with Turbo

Hi - so a friend and I are working on building a D16A6 engine with a turbo, and we bought the EMUSA kit online. I know ideally we should buy a better turbo, but we are working within a budget and this kit seemed to get the best comments among the cheaper options.

We don't plan on running a ton of boost, since we are working with stock internals, engine has all new seals, everything was within spec, rehoned, and the head decked professionally. Our target is around 220 - 240 hp.

One of the comments mentioned when I was looking up the turbo is that we should run an oil restrictor for the turbo, and since this seems to depend on the oil pressure that the engine generates, I was wondering if anyone knew the correct size. I haven't found any guidance on this other than it be larger than .04" in diameter.

Best,
Martin
kyngfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

if it is a sleeve bearing turbo, give it all teh oil pressure you can.

If it is a ball bearing turbo, compare it to a similar size garrett turbo and see if garrett recommends a restrictor on their turbo, and use similar size.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

but my garret isn't a ball bearing turbo and I have to run a restrictor
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
So I found a thread in another forum that recommends a 0.064" restrictor with a -3an feed line. The kit comes with a 10an feed line and no restrictor. It is a journal bearing turbo, nevertheless everything I read about the turbo online says they work better with the restrictor. I'll keep trying to read up, but what size feed line and restrictor do you run with yours?
kyngfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

I don't remember, gpopshop sent me one along with the other parts for my turbo after they rebuilt it
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyngfish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
So I found a thread in another forum that recommends a 0.064" restrictor with a -3an feed line. The kit comes with a 10an feed line and no restrictor. It is a journal bearing turbo, nevertheless everything I read about the turbo online says they work better with the restrictor. I'll keep trying to read up, but what size feed line and restrictor do you run with yours?
I'm pret-ty sure that -10an is a drain and not the feed. Those kits are fairly common for skipping out on the feed. If it is in fact a feed; holy shit...
Also.. Most of these turbos are the journal bearing type that will not require a restrictor, unlike some turbos like Garrett or turbonetics, and even THOSE are few and far between. -4an feed should be fine with a universal restrictor plate of .035 or -3an with no restrictor.
txdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyngfish View Post
If using a restrictor on a JB turbo then the common size will be .065; typically paired with a -3AN line.

-10 is the oil drain line size.

Shop 24/7 @

Join Us on FACEBOOK

88' Civic D16 [email protected]135MPH
Thanks D-Series.ORG for all of the continued support!
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US FOR ALL OF YOUR BUILD NEEDS!
2009'-2011' Import Face-Off Title Sponsors...Keep the Sport alive, Come Race with US!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in