D16z6 vgt - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Jimster480 Send a message via AIM to Jimster480 Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster480 Send a message via Skype™ to Jimster480
Default D16z6 vgt

Hey guys,
Working on a VGT HY40V on my D16z6 vitara setup.
Just wondering if anyone else on this forum has played around with Holset VGT's on any of these cars.

I'm an old member here and I've had my civic for a decade now, planning on finishing it over the summer as I refreshed the block/trans/axles almost 2 years ago now and the car has just been sitting in my garage.
Jimster480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster480 View Post
Hey guys,
Working on a VGT HY40V on my D16z6 vitara setup.
Just wondering if anyone else on this forum has played around with Holset VGT's on any of these cars.

I'm an old member here and I've had my civic for a decade now, planning on finishing it over the summer as I refreshed the block/trans/axles almost 2 years ago now and the car has just been sitting in my garage.

My old build thread My D16z6 w/ SC14 Supercharger. Pg 6 Twinchared

You may have to add the photobuckethotlink extension to your browser and enable it to see all of my picts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatness

I saw one setup hat had two actuators, one wastegate one vacuum. The wastegate opened the vanes and the vacuum kept it from slamming completely shut when lifting. No clue how well it worked

Last edited by jabberwock; 03-29-2018 at 07:09 PM.
jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster480 Send a message via AIM to Jimster480 Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster480 Send a message via Skype™ to Jimster480

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock View Post
I saw one setup hat had two actuators, one wastegate one vacuum. The wastegate opened the vanes and the vacuum kept it from slamming completely shut when lifting. No clue how well it worked
Yes I plan to build my with springs. It is fine for it to slam shut while lifting with a spring because it opens again instantly.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatness

I think the issue was when you downshift or just lift you are at high rpms and making the housing super small will end badly. The goal was to get it somewhere in the middle in vacuum then close up when the throttle is opened. As boost is built it opens back up. Let me see if I can find what I'm talking about. I had the website bookmarked on one of my PCs.

Edit: I found it but photobucket is a huge piece of shit and the link is broken. It's basically a disc attached to the VGT gear. On one side is the vacuum actuator. On the other the boost one. There is a groove cut in the disc for the vacuum actuator yoke to ride in. In boost the pin doesn't stop it from rotating and the boost actuator opens it up. In vacuum the boost actuator shuts and the vacuum actuator keeps the disc from returning all the way to the closed position. I think it sat somewhere in the 12cm^2 area (instead of like 6 for shut all the way). When vacuum goes to 0 (throttle opens) the vacuum actuator disengages and the disc is allowed to close all the way to build boost. Looked awesome but then again I can't find where I originally saw the setup

Last edited by jabberwock; 03-30-2018 at 05:50 AM.
jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Interesting theory, A dual actuator could work aswell but the thing is that it needs to be a "by boost" actuator that opens slowly as it builds boost. Because if you just open it fully with like a WG arm like some of the DSM guys are doing.... you will fall out of boost and have to rebuild boost.

So I am trying to work on a smooth transition system for these VGT's.
Maybe I should do one with an arm that scales on RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in