Small turbo bad for freeway mpg? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Small turbo bad for freeway mpg?

So I'm told two things.

One is that at cruise you'll never see much/any boost until you tip into it and exhaust volume increases.

Others (all ebay turbo dudes so big turbos) say a small turbo will be spooled all the time and will cost mpg, whereas they don't get into it til 4k and say they save gas

Anyone running a gt17 or .42/.48 to3 / other similarly all-in-by-3k turbos have input? Ppl think I'm stupid to be happy w all the fun ending at 6k AND having minivan mpg.

I've read up on ecomodder but let's be real. I'm not putting a lancer evo turbo on anytime soon but it has me thinking there's validity to the big turbo guys arguments....I'm not sure.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Done right a tiny turbo will help MPG, I've wanted to do it.

But I've also ran into the "know it alls" on ecomodder that save my old 53 MPG DX EG HB wasn't possible....so I gave up on them. I was wanting to try a tiny VW/Audi turbo (K03?) when they do a common K04 upgrade.

I could be wrong on those numbers....it has been a while. HF manifold (I have one) with a tiny scroll then learn how to drive it for best MPG was a plan for my CRX....but that will never happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

The main factor is the tune and the right foot. I ran a t3 60 trim .42/.48 and only got about 32-36mpg but my tune was crap and I was always racing around. I've seen others with the same turbo getting 42mpg on the same engine

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I had a .42/48 45 trim with a .694 fifth and 4.21 final drive.

I'd get 3-4 psi with light throttle at 2400-2600 in fifth, mostly when going up hill.

Switched to an EBAY TO4E 50 trim because I worked the little guy a little to hard and started leaking out the exhaust seal.

The bigger turbo gives me 2-3 psi at 3000ish with light throttle.

I miss the little guy, It's a lot more enjoyable to drive.
A common mistake is tuning light load boost too rich, even though you'r in boost a rich mixture isn't always necessary.
flat_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The tiny Audi's I mentioned above, the were tuned from the factory to still get great gas mileage at zero boost/vac, but it take a steady foot. Keeping the throttle in ONE position is the biggest key to better MPG....

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

I did it,

Just touching 65 MPG, running 16:5 AFR and 45-50 degrees of timing.At about 4500~70mph~ 0 vacuum

Using a 1.00x4.0 FD/5th, .60 cold.48 hot T3 super 60 or something close
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I didn't have any mpg issues with my 13c (tiny Volvo turbo).

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

So .42/48 45 trim seems a bit small for most of my driving, would probably be seeing boost a lot, and all I find is labelled a 50 or 51 trim on the ebaze

How does this compare size wise to a gt17, I'm only shooting for 155-175 hp and ebay .42/.58 50 trim t3 says 350 hp

If boosting a bit is what's gonna happen at a 3k cruise on the interstate I guess I'll deal.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

you only make boost when your accelerating.
as soon as you lift (or back off the throttle) you're back in vacuum

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Big turbo, small turbo, two turbos, ALL THE TURBOS. if you stay out of it, be conscious of your want to get good MPG, and you'll be fine. I ran a .42/.48 at 12psi making halfass decent power on a Z6 and still got 40+ MPG. It sounds like you want to go super fast all the time and get good MPG. One or the other my man, if you can find the balance you'll be able to do your spirited driving and still get 30+.

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Nah all fast all the time isn't my thing, I just don't wanna be boosting and using fuel to excess while cruising at regular speeds. I love my current economy.

If habits are what it comes down to then that's cool, my habits tend towards economy as is. So as stated w steady input and learning what works best w my setup even a small turbo shouldn't be boosting much at cruise.

If this gets an in town mpg boost too my wife is gonna let me do her 4 door as well : )
Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

what transmission are you using?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Short 5th B000 box
Old 10-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
I just don't wanna be boosting and using fuel to excess while cruising at regular speeds.
as i said before, you only make boost when you accelerate...
i can drive around all day without hitting the boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Short 5th B000 box
good for accelerating, not so much for mileage...

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

Short 5th? As in 1.00 ? Or the same .702 as everycar
Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
as i said before, you only make boost when you accelerate...
i can drive around all day without hitting the boost.

good for accelerating, not so much for mileage...
Why is it bad for mpg? Aquafina was getting 45+ mpg spinning a D16Y7 at 4000+ rpm on the highway...

Quote:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Why is it bad for mpg? Aquafina was getting 45+ mpg spinning a D16Y7 at 4000+ rpm on the highway...
PSSSHHHH mediocre....

If that shit aint lean bucking, theres too much gas and not enough timing..!!

AHAHAHAH

"You thinkk einstein went around thinking averybody was a buncha dumb shits?"
Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Short 5th as in my 5th gear is shorter than the b000 box we put in our 4 door so its the si one? It gets 43 as is, maintaining 40+ mpg at 3k cruise is a priority
Old 10-17-2017, 01:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

They call me Tenderfoot. 5.3L V8 automatic in a huge BLACK Buick.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in