D16Z6 Catch Can setup, do you approve? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16Z6 Catch Can setup, do you approve?

Hey guys, I've booked my appointment with the dyno tuner for end of the month and just double checking and triple checking how I have things set up so he doesn't look at me like I'm a retard and tell me to go home and fix my car. lol.

I've attached a pic of it and I'll explain what I have going on. So as you can see in the pic, I modified the catch can so it vents from the top. The line on the right goes directly to the open port on my valve cover. The left line goes to my black box on the back of my motor which has been modified as well. I closed off the stock hole and welded on a hose barb. So the left hose goes directly from the catch can to the new hose barb on my black box.

Is this acceptable?

Right now I'm dealing with a bit of a surging idle and I only have a basemap for my hondata and I'm paranoid it's because I have something setup incorrectly. My friend told me it's normal to have a rough idle because I have 1000cc injectors and a F'd up air/fuel mixture right now.

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-09-10-18h41m05s859.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	122466  
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Yup, that's fine and is how I have mine set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome,thank you for that peace of mind.

Do you find you have to empty your catch can a lot with this setup?

Old 09-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Looks good. Vent the black box and valve cover and your good.
The black back is an oem catch can.
The nipple on the intake should be plug or use it for vaccum tees for boost gauge, bov etc..

I can say depending on your setup you might need more ventinf or larger hoses.

And what mixture are you getting in the can? In cold weather you can get alot of water in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
Awesome,thank you for that peace of mind.

Do you find you have to empty your catch can a lot with this setup?
I don't drive my car a lot but nothing drained from the can last time I opened it

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Looks good. Vent the black box and valve cover and your good.
The black back is an oem catch can.
The nipple on the intake should be plug or use it for vaccum tees for boost gauge, bov etc..

I can say depending on your setup you might need more ventinf or larger hoses.

And what mixture are you getting in the can? In cold weather you can get alot of water in there.
Thanks for the info! I tapped into my brake boost line for my bov vacuum. It probably would be a better idea to replace that brake booster line and just use the blocked off line off the mani for the bov? Would look better too. I've changed the vacuum line setup a few times with the help of friends.

Here's a video of it running from last week after I put in a new wastegate because the one I had was missing the valve seat. I also replaced all the boost lines with better quality black vac lines. Those red lines were limp noodle crap lol.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Q...tkVjNCenM/view

I
Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

I don't know how crazy you are getting with the build but most builds don't really need a catch can. You will find that most will stink. I'd fix the throttle cable, looks to have a weird double dogleg in it.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm hoping for 300whp or in that ballpark. Then considering a meth kit next year to get closer to 400 and that'll probably be enough for me. I remember driving my buddies integra when it had 300whp and thought this is all I'd ever want. I bought his turbonetic turbo off of him for my build as he went with a larger Garrett and is now getting 535whp which is absolutely insane and I won't even drive it anymore lol.

I'll take some pics tomorrow of the throttle cable routing and if you see anything wrong or could give me some suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I remember when I did the routing, it was quite annoying and I had to make some brackets for it. I have the d16z6 in a 98 civic so I didn't have all the right brackets.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

sure
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in