turbo help and indentification/parts. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default turbo help and indentification/parts.

i lucked up today and got a garret turbo for 30 bucks with no shaft play and good condition. i have a few questions though and hope you folks can help. i was told it came from an isuzu truck. from my research that appears to be true and that its a TB25 which is apparently similar to a t25. my concerns are the exhaust side of the turbo had a "pressed it" elbow going to the downpipe instead of a bolt on type. i will be installing this hopefully into a 92 civic si and need to know where i can find an adaptor to fit the exhaust side or a bolt on "style"hot side snail. almost forgot...this turbo had an external wastegate if that helps.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 06-25-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Skymarshall4545 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

A litte research gave me this

Isuzu/ GMC garrett TB2518 turbo

4BD1T & 4BD2T engines => 4BDTSwaps.com

4BD1T & 4BD2T Turbos.

The later 4BD1T's (post 1988 update) and the early 4BD2T's had a non-wastegated (free floating) TB25. Several model codes exist including 466898 in Bush65's pictures below. It uses a T25 bearing core (water jacketed) and compressor, but has a T3 mounting flange which bolts to the factory manifold at an angle of approx 60 deg.
This non-wastegated (freefloating) turbo has a large turbine housing (0.87 inch A/R) and sized to run all day long in an NPR at ~3000rpm. It will not provide enough boost at 2000rpm for most swaps into smaller vehicles.

Side Mount TB25 wastegated.
This turbo is found on early 4BD2 engines, it is a good choice for people wanting to keep their engines stock.
The mounting flange on this one is the garrett T3 pattern, 10mm bolts with 11mm holes on 86x44mm rectangle.
51.3mm/40mm cold, 60 trim 0.48 A/R cold
55mm/42mm hot, 58 trim, 0.67 A/R hot
Code XE 0201J
Isuzu 8971056180
Garrett 466409-1

The downpipe ( elbow) is bolted onto the exhaust manifold and keeps it in the turbine housing. There aren't any adaptors for this kind of turbine housing ,but i think you could either use the same idea Isuzu did and make a elbow that connects to the turbo manifold.Or you could weld on a V band flange ,but welding cast iron and stainless steel requires some skill .
hondanickx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in