Gt12 or gt25 ching chong - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Gt17 or gt25 ching chong

So building the supercharger setup isn't on hold but w airflow math indicating more power than my current motor can take necessitating a turbo build w the y7 backup motor ...long story short it's a longer term project than I'd like it to be so in the short term in piecing together a turbo set-up w the goal of hitting 140-155 at the wheels.

Motor is a jdm nonvtec d15b generic replacement motor w some miles and it's dd so power over 6 grand isn't what I'm looking for. Falling off and just holding power flat from 5k-6500 sounds ideal.

Are ding dong gt17 and gt25 clones the ticket?

I'm only planning on rocking stock wastegate pressure which seems to be 8psi for both.

I'd probably port the wastegate and be happy w whatever power it made as long as it's not blowing up.

Speaking of...

If that much boost down low is gonna blow me up even w a small volume and stock boost, what would be a better selection? T25 flange stuff is plentiful and inexpensive!

Last edited by evotec1; 04-26-2017 at 06:42 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

Why not look at an OEM junk yard turbo from a recked car? Should get you what you want easily with a little research it shouldn't be too hard to find the right turbo. Just a thought.
Animag771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Word, I'd go either way if I came across a low mile turbo but isn't a dingaling Chang jobber halfway decent these days, especially if they aren't being pushed?

Last edited by evotec1; 04-26-2017 at 06:59 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

Sadly I'm not too familiar with many junkyard turbos. Pretty much just look for a car that came with a factory turbo and has similar displacement. Any of those should work fairly well. I know the Pontiac Solstice is a good one along with Evo turbos and there's also Saabs. Just to name a few. You could probably get one out of a Nissan Juke or maybe a Ford Focus Ecoboost I know they have them stock.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

only issue with junkyard turos are they dont use a T3 flange and alot of custom work to be done to get it to work with t-3 flanges
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 04:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
only issue with junkyard turos are they dont use a T3 flange and alot of custom work to be done to get it to work with t-3 flanges
I've never messed with junkyard turbos, but I wouldn't imagine it would cost too much to have someone fab up an adapter plate for whichever turbo he chose. Don't people do that all the time with the DSM ones anyway?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well gt17 and gt25 turbo are oem sizes, I'm more into whether a small turbo boosting below 3k is gonna blow be up. Was told a long time ago lag is good and boost up top doesn't break stuff as easily.....but I dislike lag
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Well gt17 and gt25 turbo are oem sizes, I'm more into whether a small turbo boosting below 3k is gonna blow be up. Was told a long time ago lag is good and boost up top doesn't break stuff as easily.....but I dislike lag
That lag is good stuff, is just a matter of personal preference. Lag is good for getting traction off the line though. Some people like it to lag all the way until 5,500rpm and have great power for a whopping 2,000rpm before they have to shift. Others like to have boost off idle and smoke their tires through 3rd gear before they get traction. I'll be going for something in-between so I can stay out of boost during normal commuting, but as soon as I put my foot down it will almost instantly spool up and should hold strong to redline. If it falls off a little early, I'm ok with that.

For your power goals there shouldn't be a problem boosting, regardless of when the power comes on. As far as safety and reliability are concerned, it's mostly in having a good tune.

Last edited by Animag771; 04-27-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Older Volvo turbos used a T3 flange. My 13C was loads of fun and got me to 180 WHP. It was about the size of a T25. Pretty much zero lag on either my mini me or D17 set up. Worked great until the D17 pushed it out of it's efficiency range and it ate itself.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Older Volvo turbos used a T3 flange. My 13C was loads of fun and got me to 180 WHP. It was about the size of a T25. Pretty much zero lag on either my mini me or D17 set up. Worked great until the D17 pushed it out of it's efficiency range and it ate itself.
Seems like that would be a pretty good choice then. It would be really easy to slap one of those on a cheap log manifold and it would make the power he wants. Out g curiosity, how much boost were you running before pushing it out of its efficiency. I'm being lazy, I don't want to go looking around for the compressor map and plotting it to figure it out lol.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Love ur build threads btw
Old 04-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Autox, it sounds like your motor (b7) may have been in similar shape as mine is, an unknown mileage jdm motor w 45k since the swap, w great maintenance. Do you think your issues with the rear seal were pcv/catchcan related, or can I expect similar failures at low boost levels?

A more detailed story on the failures of your b7 and the events that led to it's eventual destruction, what <10k after going turbo would be a great read if youd indulge us...

I don't run my car hard daily and do 2-3 events (drag or autox) a year plus a few laps on weekends when i work corners (only partial laps each run to and from my station, but with gusto)....honestly now, it sounds like you ran it pretty hard for that 10k. With less arduous use, can I reasonably convince my other half that reliability won't be problematic, and still sleep soundly knowing I'm not living on borrowed time? (Both w car and family lol) ....i can lay off the autocross. Dunno bout laps and drags
Old 04-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Out of all the China made turbos available, CXracing is the one I'd go with.

I've read some decent reviews on them.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
Seems like that would be a pretty good choice then. It would be really easy to slap one of those on a cheap log manifold and it would make the power he wants. Out g curiosity, how much boost were you running before pushing it out of its efficiency. I'm being lazy, I don't want to go looking around for the compressor map and plotting it to figure it out lol.
You likely won't find a compressor map for the 13c anyway ... I never did. It didn't like 14 psi ... I was running it around 10 - 12 (IIRC) ... but it spooled way too fast on my stroker and it started to fall on it's face at about 6500 RPM. It was fine up to 6800 ish on my 1.5 mini me.

You can find some dyno plots in the "stolen" build thread in my sig.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:

Last edited by AutoXCivic; 04-28-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Autox, it sounds like your motor (b7) may have been in similar shape as mine is, an unknown mileage jdm motor w 45k since the swap, w great maintenance. Do you think your issues with the rear seal were pcv/catchcan related, or can I expect similar failures at low boost levels?

A more detailed story on the failures of your b7 and the events that led to it's eventual destruction, what <10k after going turbo would be a great read if youd indulge us...

I don't run my car hard daily and do 2-3 events (drag or autox) a year plus a few laps on weekends when i work corners (only partial laps each run to and from my station, but with gusto)....honestly now, it sounds like you ran it pretty hard for that 10k. With less arduous use, can I reasonably convince my other half that reliability won't be problematic, and still sleep soundly knowing I'm not living on borrowed time? (Both w car and family lol) ....i can lay off the autocross. Dunno bout laps and drags
B7 motor did not fail ... it stared smoking after adding boost ... at ~180k miles the rings were just tired. I had the bottom end built because ... why not. Not because of any grenading of the B7 bottom end. I had originally planned to build the B7 bottom end ... but it just ended up being simpler to do the D16 stroker.

Rear main seal was just old and tired ... and gave me an excuse to replace my transmission. I had zero issues once the transmission and seal were replaced.

Pretty much any "problem" I had was extremely minimal and I just used it as an excuse to upgrade parts ... instead of just repairing the existing problem.

I was not kind to the car and it kept begging for more flogging.

Another option you can look at ... the Volvos that I got the 13c from also used a Garrett T25 (same flange) interchangeably ... you might be able to find parts for the T25 more easily than the 13C.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2017, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

ding dong ping pong ching chong!

Keep the AFR in check, dont detonate, and keep the EGTs from melting shit and you are GTG!
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

I'm going on my 2nd year with my ebay ching chang 50 trim turbo. It does lag a bit until 4k but it pulls hard after that and stays in boost with good shifting.

With the amount of extra work it takes to use a junkyard turbo these days its kind of a no brainer to just go with a ebay turbo. They are proven to work. Mine is a rev9. Id recommend one of those or like the other guy said, a cx racing.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Gtg and proven to work sounds good to me!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just picked up extra work as a corner marshal at Pacific Raceway and the Ridge in Shelton so I might be able to start collecting bits sooner than later
Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Just a fyi, mazda speed protege are ball bearing t25 and spool super fast.

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in