need opinions on oil drain route - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default need opinions on oil drain route

So I'm mocking up my turbo and ran into a small problem. I got a drain kit from fast turbo and I don't know if it's going to work. It's super short. I have the original fitting for the turbo and rubber hose I was going to use before I ordered the fast turbo kit. I could really use some advice on which route to go.

Fast Turbo fitting

original fitting

Option 2 with rubber hose

Option 3 rubber house with AN fitting in pan

cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

So get a new hose the proper length..

The flow looks to be ok..
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

I mean obviously I will cut the braided hose. I didn't know if the angle would be ok or only using like 2 inches of hose between fittings

Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Drop option 1. It'll be a pain to get on since the hose is so short.

Go with option 3 . . . better to have the taper seal of the AN fitting on the bottom.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

I know it will be a pain but if it would be better than the other options Im willing to try it
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody

Yeah, I think option 3 would probably be the easiest. Any real issues you'd have would probably be with kinks but the bend in the fitting should help alleviate that possibility. I just went with barbs and hose and there is a slight kink, but not enough to restrict flow so I kept it.
anomolix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

I think Im leaning towards option 3. I feel like there would be alot of pressure on the braided hose using such a short length. It's not super flexible
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

i dont know if you have the hose specs but each hose has a minimum bend radius (tightest bend you can make before kinking) and minimum length specs.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcaterpillars View Post
I think Im leaning towards option 3. I feel like there would be alot of pressure on the braided hose using such a short length. It's not super flexible
Handling such a short length of that braided stuff while still trying to keep it together would be a pain in the butt.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
i dont know if you have the hose specs but each hose has a minimum bend radius (tightest bend you can make before kinking) and minimum length specs.
I search fast-turbo's website and there's no specs on the hose.

I think option 3 looks like the best solution at this point.

What Psi usually comes from an oil return
Old 03-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Quote:
I search fast-turbo's website and there's no specs on the hose.

I think option 3 looks like the best solution at this point.

What Psi usually comes from an oil return
For most of the turbos I've had experience with, you don't want any pressure in the return which is why they are usually fed with 3/16" line and have a drain line size of 5/8"

I don't know of anyone who has hooked up a pressure gauge to their return line but I'd say you would ideally want 0psi in the return and *might* be able to get away with a psi or two.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

ok so I shouldn't need to worry about the hose blowing off. I guess I didn't think about it being gravity fed.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
ok so I shouldn't need to worry about the hose blowing off. I guess I didn't think about it being gravity fed.
You'll be fine so long as there's no major kinks. I have a slight kink in mine and it's fine.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

rubber hose it is. Thanks guys
Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Here is my drain line. I had issues with the turbo hanging super low. A lot of people told me this set up wouldn't work and that it would smoke and blah blah blah. Well it doesn't. I put about 4,000 miles on it last summer with no problems.

honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post
Here is my drain line. I had issues with the turbo hanging super low. A lot of people told me this set up wouldn't work and that it would smoke and blah blah blah. Well it doesn't. I put about 4,000 miles on it last summer with no problems.

what kind of traction bar is that and did you notice a difference with it? My buddy has one that he wants to sell me for $50. Can't remember who makes it but it's a good company. Looks just like that
Old 03-22-2017, 03:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

It's a full race traction bar. I put it on before my turbo kit and at the same time that I went over the entire suspension so its hard to say how much of a difference I notice.

But I was turbo all last summer and didnt have any problems with wheel hop on hard launches.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

I haven't met many people running them around here. For $50 it's hard to pass up
Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean_reptile View Post
Cityofc, saw you scored a sweet block off of H-T for $500.

I'll post pics of my drain so you won't feel bad about yours lol
Sure did. I just got my head back from the machine shop. Hopefully Ill have the engine and turbo installed next weekend
Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Stainless steel lines are a bi**h! I would order a foot of nylon braided line and use that. Only about $3-$4 on ebay shipped.
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in