M12 ar 50 vs. garrett ar42 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default M12 ar 50 vs. garrett ar42

got a choice

1) garrett ar 42 t3 turbo off a nissan (from what im told)

2) ebay special m12 turbo (believe its one of those ebay 50 ''trims'')

i know the garrett would be more reliable, both gotten from a very reputable shop. I just cant find real answers on the forums with these to side by side

which would make more power and why (going on a d16y7 with blue top 450cc injectors and y8 intake manifold 3inch downpipe to 2.5 inch after resonator on midpipe)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m12 ar.50 ebay.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	118217   Click image for larger version

Name:	garrett ar42.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	118225  

Last edited by EKpeg; 03-03-2017 at 10:19 AM.
EKpeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

from what i seeing the garrett 42s are making 140-160whp on the y7, quick spool is obviously for daily driving and having the power right there with no lag.

ebay 50s from what ive read are making anywhere from 180-240whp on the y7, spools around 3k full by 5k and pull around to the redline from what it says.

ebay 50 has much more top end where the garrett 42 is pretty much dead by 6k and out of breath by the readline.

i do a lot of highway driving so quick spool isnt a worry plus i feel like later spool/bigger turbo would mean i get better economy if im not always in boost right?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

would be more helpful if you have both turbine and compressor specs.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

not really sure what the specs are bought them off the mechanic at the shop he just took them off a couple cars he had and sold them to me.

Uploaded photos if that helps.

I think the ebay one is comp; trim= 55 / ar= .50 and turbine; trim=73/ ar= .63

with the garrett i have no clue im trying to find more info on it, hoping someone on here might have used one
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

on the garrett is says ''ar42 m24 garrett 80''

Last edited by EKpeg; 03-03-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

my garrett says .42 on one side, and the other says .48. if theyre in your hand, look em over for any markings. or take a pic and upload it
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

VWVortex.com - Factory rebuilt Garrett A/R 42 M24 turbo

this is the exact turbo, couldnt find any markings or anything besides it saying ''m9'' and a caution message
Old 03-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enough

I had experience with both. The Garrett will make around 240 HP maxed out and it won't stay alive that long at that power level. I think I had it pushing around 15-18 psi but it would drop off by redline. This is actually on an LS though but I ran the turbo on a single cam before I switched over and it wasn't too much different. I never got to dyno the single cam but car ran the same times at the track. The m12 makes around 300 @20 psi but when I tried to run more than 23 psi it started to surge. Of course the Garrett is more responsive but reliability wise I never had too many issues with the m12. When I took it off the compressor housing had oil on it but it didn't smoke and still produced boost fine. I worked with maybe three different cars on that turbo and none had any failures. So for 200 HP I vote Garrett and anything more go eBay special.
jockobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockobo View Post
I had experience with both. The Garrett will make around 240 HP maxed out and it won't stay alive that long at that power level. I think I had it pushing around 15-18 psi but it would drop off by redline. This is actually on an LS though but I ran the turbo on a single cam before I switched over and it wasn't too much different. I never got to dyno the single cam but car ran the same times at the track. The m12 makes around 300 @20 psi but when I tried to run more than 23 psi it started to surge. Of course the Garrett is more responsive but reliability wise I never had too many issues with the m12. When I took it off the compressor housing had oil on it but it didn't smoke and still produced boost fine. I worked with maybe three different cars on that turbo and none had any failures. So for 200 HP I vote Garrett and anything more go eBay special.
thanks for the response! so i was cleaning off the turbo and noticed it did have something written on the turbine.

The turbo is a Garrett T3 ar .42/.63
compressor .42 turbine .63
im pretty sure its not a ''super 60'' though but it might be? im not a turbo expert,
Goal with the turbo is to make the most amount of usable hp mostly for highway pulls
Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

that's a Volvo TB03 T3, you can tell from the wastegate housing
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

T3 Super 60 Confusion - Honda-Tech
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Put it on and run it.

If you run into any problems, figure out what it is and fix it.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Put it on and run it.

If you run into any problems, figure out what it is and fix it.
not about the ''problems'' I pretty much just wanted to see if this turbo would work nice with a d16 at the later part of the powerband unlike the ar42 48 (havent heard anything about ar42/63 's on a d16 motor), its just that to get it tuned then the turbo not working the way id like like to and having to change it out and get it retuned would be a huge amount of money lost for no reason (could use it somewhere else).
Old 03-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Im just hoping that it will out perform the ebay 50 trim i know for sure that it should outlast it so i guess ill have to put it on the dyno after the snow melts and find out for myself
Old 03-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

with the garrett ar 42/63 should i run a higher bar map sensor?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

If you plan to run over 9psi, you should upgrade to a map sensor that can read higher pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKpeg View Post
with the garrett ar 42/63 should i run a higher bar map sensor?
I would, go to a junkyard and pick up a GM map sensor.
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

yah it was thinking the same thing garrett is pretty small seen people running over 9-10 psi on them and its better to be safe then sorry
Old 03-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

What turbo manifold are you going to use?
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornFromAshes View Post
What turbo manifold are you going to use?
Rev9 log manifold (ebay) with 38mm tial sport wastegate
I can make a build post you'd like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in