D16 is EATING some gaskets. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16 is EATING some gaskets.

Front side of my valve cover just above my turbo manifold steadily leaks oil after drives where I get above vacuum, never seems to fail. I've tried a plethora of VC gaskets, from Honda to generic garbo from your typical supply houses. Even used high temp sealant at the corners of it on several, but still get leaks.

This has been a long standing issue with my car ever since I boosted it, I'm guessing I've still got too much crankcase pressure despite the fact I've got a breather on the VC and a length of hose at the top of the black box that's strapped over to a side with a breather on it at as well.

Do I need to have another port added to my VC and run an actual catch can setup or is there something that I'm missing? I'm on stock internals and running about 13psi through a fairly small turbo. I don't think the head/valve cover connection is warped anywhere because this never happened prior to the turbo going on. I'm about at my wits end with this, so if anyone has any words of wisdom I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks, and happy holidays.
hoimmaslapyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Valve cover could be warped. You sure everything is torqued down good?

Show us a picture of your breather set up. You might not be venting enough pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx

Last edited by AutoXCivic; 12-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I've gone as tight as I can go without breaking VC bolts. I know this because I actually snapped one off and had to back it out and that was a painful ordeal.

As for photos, once I get home from family event I can do that. But envision one of your typical small K&N breathers you'd find on practically any Honda motor VC breather port and that would be what I have on my VC, in addition to one + a 6" length of hose off the black box. Of course with that said, those filters COULD be clogged and need to be replaced.. That is something that hasn't crossed my mind.
hoimmaslapyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Over torque distrorts the rubber gasket. Quick dorking around and buy an inch pound torque wrench
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

When mines leak it was do the catch can setup.
I added 10an fitting to the valve cover and it stop.

If its only leaking during boosted days then its to much pressure.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
When mines leak it was do the catch can setup.
I added 10an fitting to the valve cover and it stop.

If its only leaking during boosted days then its to much pressure.
I would wager that using that tiny port in the VC is not venting enough pressure.

Hrmph I don't have pictures of my previous catch can set up readily available. I was only making about 180 - 200 whp ... I could easily stick my thumb in the fitting that fed the catch can. I only ever had a leak when I somehow managed to get a deformed gasket ... and I was not kind to it.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

Our valve cover leaked on our track car using the oem port with 16psi. Once we upped to dual -10 fittings solved our problem.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

my old coupe leaked under boost too, I found buying allthread and then cutting it into studs and using nuts on studs instead of the shitty d16z6 bolts let me crank down really hard and finally sealed it up
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in