New to Turbo, Local deal on a build should I buy? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New to Turbo, Local deal on a build should I buy?

Hello, new member here, I'm in Canada with a 1996 CX hatch with a nearly perfect shell, not a dot of rust, rolls/starts/stops great.
I've looked locally for B swaps and they are all beat and require rebuilds, however an ad came up locally for a D16z6 project build someone is getting out of, the machine shop which did the work/assembly is very reputable, but I honestly know nothing of the quality of the components or the nature of his build.
Would this be a good base to start off of and compile the remaining components? He's asking $2300 CDN

I have a garage, and a mechanical engineer/mechanic to help me on my way.

Quote:
i have a project d16z6 build im looking to sell or part out with turbo gear aswell.

New in box
-ACT 6 pad clutch with ACT pressure plate
-Cometic 75.5 bore/.030 thick head gasket
-Bisimoto adjustable cam gear
-Greddy type-RZ blow off valve
-AEM wideband o2 sensor with digital gauge
-ARP head studs
-Precision injected 680cc low impedance injectors
-Turbonetics T3 super 60 turbo
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-Lovefab turbo exhaust manifold
-Bisimoto Level 2.4 cam
-Blackworks oil catch can

The block was all assembled at (Machine Shop) oversized bore 75.5, new bearings main/rod, crank polished, block notched and has bisimoto rods with supertech low compression pistons(8.8:1).

The head has Ferrea racing valves with bisimoto springs, titanium retainers, new valve seals and bisimoto 2.4 cam.
BigMcLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Hmm... IDK what 2300 converts to USD.. IF its around 2300 USD, than its a great deal in my opinion..

But the whole package sounds pretty good, the only thing I dont like is the low compression pistons. IF the engine is already assembled, swapping the Pistons and HG to bump it up isnt an option. But it lists ARP headstuds as new in box, so does that mean its not assembled? If not, buy some decent pistons and swap them in.

But add up everything and im sure your well past 2300 especially NEW IN BOX and a legit rebuilt engine.

Jump on it and try to tell them you have 2100 in cash right now..
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-22-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Its 1750 usd

Also i noticed your from NS. Do you know whos motor it is. Or where the guy selling it is located. Im sure ill have friends that know him. Also was it build at Armstrongs in the valley?

Last edited by Evanguy; 09-22-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

The work was done at Nova, what's the big draw back on the piston selection?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

They are just real low compression. Good if your shooting for like 400 whp. Since we only have 91 oct. But if going for like 200-250whp you want higher comp.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I am definitely not looking for any more than 250, this is a weekend car, not drag.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

For that power level id look for 9.5:1 - 11:1 that way out of boost the car still gets out of its own way.

Last edited by Evanguy; 09-22-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna check out the gear in person tomorrow and go from there. I wasn't really leaning towards a turbo build prior to seeing the guys post, but I know just the engine work alone would likely cost close what he's asking and the rest of the parts aren't generic crap.
If I was to take on this build I would like to come out with something around or slightly over 200whp that can be used reliably in the summer and take to track days.

One concern though, how much can you put into a D16 without sleeves?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Depens on the tuner. But 400 whp would be no ussue on stock sleeves. Also Nova isnt that great. Lots of people use armstrongs for that reason. When they decked my block .020 it came back with .040 decked off it. Through convo with them i figured they decked it didnt tag it and then decked it again before i picked it up. That was a bummer. Like 12.5:1 comp wasnt enough allready lol.

But yes go look at it. Also whos selling it? Im sure can find out lots of info on that build and if he ran into any problems before trying to sell it. Seems like a good deal. Im surprized my buddy tnever told me.of tis motor being sold. Also where would you get it tuned. Id stay away from Ravin motor sports even though he has a mustang dyno. Id take her to NB for the tune.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

A compression ratio of 8.8:1 (pulled for Supertech's site) isn't too low; higher than a Vitara build. But for a responsive, fun lower HP build, I'd agree you'd want closer to 10:1.

I hit right at 400WHP and 330ft lbs on a stock Z6 block without a block guard, posts, or sleeves.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Jacob Locke is the dudes name, if I take it I'm definitely gonna put different Pistons in, any recommendations, or would I need measurements of the head?
Old 09-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah, not sure on a tuner, like I said new to turbo, I have heard positive and negative things about raven. I know of the NB guys just based on FB posts, I would be happy to trailer a car up there if they're reputable.
Also that said best ECU chip/program?
Old 09-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Moates demon/neptune or hondata. The demon and the hondata are both small daughter boards that you install into a chipped/socketed obd1 ecu.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Another question, which may be stupid, other than the pistons and related compression ratio what would make the engine a turbo build aside from slapping all the parts on it.
Could you in theory just replace the pistons with a higher ratio and run this N/A?
Old 09-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Jd's switched to neptune on their car and love it. They can tune anything but they say they prefer nuptune. And ill take a poke aroubd and see what i can come up with about his build
Old 09-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcLargehuge View Post
Another question, which may be stupid, other than the pistons and related compression ratio what would make the engine a turbo build aside from slapping all the parts on it.
Could you in theory just replace the pistons with a higher ratio and run this N/A?
Its a play with words.

Is you say you have a NA bulild 9/10 its going to be High comp piston, bored over and ported, cam work.

If you have a turbo build 8/10 times its going to be thicker rods that wont bend or break under the extra power. Piston can be either low or high comp (normally stock ratio or a bit lower), better valve springs to keep the valves close under boost.
Normally port and polish and boring isnt done, unless the build was shooting for high power.

Thats why you take what people say with a gain of salt.
Fully build to one isnt the same to another.

So find out whats inside the motor and what you wanna do.
Then find out how to get there form what you got and if its the amount of work you wanna do.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Sounds like a good price!! any pics

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in