E85 in a jrsc - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Blackrex is learning the way of the DBlackrex is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default E85 in a jrsc

Guys I wanted to get your opinions on converting to E85. Is it worth it would the power made be worth the effort? A couple of stations now where I live carry E85. This is just a weekend play car so gas consumption is not a concern.
I am running a zc dohc with a jrsc and the LHT upgrade.

Thanks
Blackrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Everyone keeps pushing me to go E85, and i've got the same setup as yours. The only thing holding me back is availability really... I'm sure the car would love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Blackrex is learning the way of the DBlackrex is learning the way of the D

I am thinking the same thing. The only thing that concerns me is how this stuff goes bad if left in your tank to long.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

there are plenty of additives and rust inhibitors to use with E85. Find a good mix from the guys who drag with it

the gains are definitely worthwhile when you are fighting high IAT's via the supercharger.

I would not be surprised if you gained 10-20h on a proper E85 tune

I recommend doing new fuel lines though. oem honda civic lines will not like it on a long term basis.

perfect opportunity to get a bigger diameter to get more out of the pump anyways.

I think the walbro 190 and 255 and 255hp pumps can withstand e85

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks mattliston for the reply. I am running the walbro 255 with 450 dsm injectors now. From what I understand I should upgrade to bigger injectors also? 10 to 20 hp I think would be worth it for the little M45.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Im not familiar enough with E85

I would say whatever power you have now, add 50% injector to it

so if the 450cc injectors were running at 70-75% duty cycle, maybe throw a set of 700cc injectors on there?

More knowledgeable people will chime in, but yes, E85 requires much more fuel, like 30% more minimum

Build what you have!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

On all the cars I tune know e85, it requires 25-30% more fuel. I have never had one over 30%. So upgrade your injectors. As for stock lines, they will be fine. E85 doesn't hurt anything, it's the moisture it attracts that does, and that can be prevented easily with additives. I've had a tank of e85 sit for almost a year with some stabilizer in it and it fired up first crank. I of course drained it later but it doesn't hurt anything.
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

As for power increase, it's significant and worth it. It is also way better for your motor as it significantly decreases your Chace of detonation
Old 09-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

When i was datalogging my 450cc injectors, i was never getting over 50% duty cycle on pump gas at 11psi. Which would mean you wouldn't be getting near the limits of the injector if you increased by 30%

450*50%=225cc
(225*30%) = 67.5cc's more with E85

or 292.5cc (225+67.5)/450cc which is 65% duty cycle

Old 09-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Atheworld0 that sounds encouraging. EFB055 I was thinking that myself but was not sure if these injectors would be able to handle e85, that makes the switch a lot more worth it. Can anyone confirm if we would be ok with the DSm injectors? EFB055 what kind of hp numbers are you putting down with your set up?
Old 09-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

you cannot accurately calculate like that.

what fuel pressure were those 450cc ratings from? 38psi? 40psi? 45psi?

lets make it super easy. if those 450cc injectors were done at 40psi, and your honda runs at 40psi, then yes, those calculations would be within reasonable accuracy.

err on the side of caution though.

you datalogged 50% duty. WELL within the safe limits of the injectors.

based on that, you are probably good to go.

just watch the duty cycle and keep it max of 75 or 80% to keep the injectors happy

Build what you have!

Old 09-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

My tuner has me at 48psi on the injectors, I think he said the spray pattern was not the greatest on the dsm injectors. I would still consider upgrading if it allowed the car to idle a little nicer even if not needed.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

there are turbo K20/k24 builds with 1200cc injectors that idle smoother than my stock civic lol

modern injector design is FAR above what those ancient DSM injectors are lol

Build what you have!

Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Guys I was reading good things about Injector Nation and was thinking about picking up
IN600 Bosch EV14 Fuel Injector Set Honda OBD0 OBD1 B18 D16 H22 F22. They are out of stock at the moment. Do you think they will work well with E85? Also will these work with a resistor box?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Those are high profiles injectors. No need to run a resister box with them, just remove it. I have owned 4 or 5 sets of his injectors. I usually get the in900 and they idle perfect.

Yes modern injectors are way better then the old dsm technology. I have a set of fic 1150s that idle smooth as can be on e85 with cams in a built gsr.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheworld0 View Post
Those are high profiles injectors. No need to run a resister box with them, just remove it. I have owned 4 or 5 sets of his injectors. I usually get the in900 and they idle perfect.

Yes modern injectors are way better then the old dsm technology. I have a set of fic 1150s that idle smooth as can be on e85 with cams in a built gsr.

Aatheworld0 do I need to do anything else, just unplug the box and cap the end?

I did not see the In900 on their site. Maybe I missed it.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
you cannot accurately calculate like that.

what fuel pressure were those 450cc ratings from? 38psi? 40psi? 45psi?

lets make it super easy. if those 450cc injectors were done at 40psi, and your honda runs at 40psi, then yes, those calculations would be within reasonable accuracy.

err on the side of caution though.

you datalogged 50% duty. WELL within the safe limits of the injectors.

based on that, you are probably good to go.

just watch the duty cycle and keep it max of 75 or 80% to keep the injectors happy
Yeah, but there's a big safety margin there though.

About 150hp with the factory FPR.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You will need to bypass the box by either buying a pre made harness or matching the colors and putting them together IIRC. There are a few guides on here for it.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks BeerDrinkin, I will see if I can locate the pre made harness.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Look up high profile and send him a pm to order injectors. Look in the for sale section as we have a member that will custom make you a harness or modify yours. It's really simple to bypass the resister box. Just connect the in to the out without the box there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in