Which turbo is right for me? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Which turbo is right for me?

Hey there,
My setup is:
D16 ZC VTEC - Built bottom end with CP 9:1/Eagles.
900CC Bosch EV14 injectors.
Walbro 991 Fuel pump
High density FMIC with 2.5" charge pipes.
2.5" Straight exhaust pipe with 20vt back muffler.
Greddy type RS BOV.
Ebay cast iron T3 manifold with Tial external WG ,downtube marging with downpipe.

Currently running a T3/T4. By the times it ran well, It was pulling real hard and made decent power up top, and I liked it, but it was a bit laggy for me. Now it started with some surging on high boost and is leaking oil.

I want a good turbo, which can bring me around 400HP at the motor, and make a wide usuable powerband (fast spool) as far as possible, without hurting too much the high end power (I know it's a bit problematic). My biggest concern is doing at least 8s 100-200kph.

I was thinking about twisted motion GT2871R ver 2. I've heard really good things about this turbo from the SR20DET community.
I was also thinking about the CXRACING T3/T4 stage 3 ball bearing turbo. Anyone has any idea about them? Are they spooling faster then the old journal bearing ones?

Please tell me what would you recommend for my setup and goals?

Also, I'll be happy to hear from you guys about your D16 turbo setups and experience.
Front big intercooler
Ebay turbo T3/T4 - A/R 50. boost ~ 0.5 bar
TIAL wastegate
Ebay Exhaust manifold + 2.5" straight pipe
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny

Last edited by JRSC_D16; 09-12-2016 at 04:25 AM.
JRSC_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Anything twin scroll with a compressor map that pleases your needs.
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

i dont know what the hell a t3/t4 is, or the 500+ different turbos that it represents, but any of the evo 8 or above turbos will meet your needs and be pretty darn responsive as long as the manifold is properly designed for it

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Open your wallet nice and wide and get a twin scroll Borg Warner EFR 6258. Seriously. You want 400 hp and a broad power curve? Open your wallet.

My website:
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

As everyone says.
Twin scroll.
Its the only way to have both worlds.
Other then that you drop max power for faster spooling.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Uhh T3/T4 is just the flange/cover size. Doesnt mean shit.

Someone needs to learn about turbos and proper turbo sizing

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

The twinscroll thing sounds really intersting to me. Is there any cheaper alternative other then the borgwarner?
Another thing, I should get a special manifold for it, or just a maching flange will do the job?
Front big intercooler
TIAL wastegate
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny

Last edited by JRSC_D16; 09-13-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSC_D16 View Post
The twinscroll thing sounds really intersting to me. Is there any cheaper alternative other then the borgwarner?
Another thing, I should get a special manifold for it, or just a maching flange will do the job?
yes ,you will need a manifold designed for a twin scroll,
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

$1500-1800 for a BW turbo that will last years of abuse is EASILY worth that money

the notion of turbos being cheaper than a grand for a new one is a foolish one made from ebay and china sellers.

Go ahead and look up the price for a brand new evo 10 turbo for USDM. the price is higher than many think

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Not only is a BW going to last, in short they're just engineered better. If you want to spend less money then change your goals. You're asking too much from a 1.6 L engine without spending a relatively high amount of money.

My website:
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Just looking at the manifold, the cast is a great choice for longevity. It wont crack and will hold up.

The problem is it gets restrictive when talking big numbers. Its great for 200-250hp area. But what is this car intended? If its for drag than you have a long way to go. If its for street, you have a long way to go.

You want 400 HP? Than your have to get to the big boy league of proper parts (which includes big boy wallet)
YOu should look at other Dseries builds and see what turbo's they are running. a 1.6L doesnt have the same characteristics as say a 2.0L. 9.1 is a low CR for a streetable set up. I would stay in the upper 9's for throttle response and spool. For 400hp you want to look for a turbo that flows 43lbs/min area. but realize it might spool late since its such a big turbo and fed by tiny cylinders. So theres a give and take in the turbo world. So finding a properly sized turbo for response and efficiency is key!

Dont try and be that guy who thinks they can go cheap and have it work. Those who tried are still rebuilding after a few weeks of accomplishing their goal then everything went south fast.

Cheap
Reliable
Fast

^^
Pick 2 and the 3rd is what it isnt.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-14-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

I understand you point guys, but the BW turbo is just too expensive for me.
Maybe I'll set my goals a little different. I want the setup to be as responsive and possible, while achiving 100-200kph in 8 sec. I know that bigger turbos and bigger hp numbers not always telling how fast the car moves.
I saw this video on youtube (
) and this car moves really great for a gt28rs imo.
Do you think that gt28rs/gt2871r can reach my goals?
Front big intercooler
TIAL wastegate
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
Old 09-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Yea, thats a good turbo. get that one!

Old 09-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

That driver sucks in the vid lol.....
But really he shouldnt do pulls like that on a close to emtpy tank.

But back to you . I think your reaching outside your means.

Gotta pay to play.
Make a goal of what you want and work towards it. If you gotta spend more money then you plan then so be it.

And yes that turbo will make your goals.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

always plan to spend more than what you think it will cost. This is just a reality especially with that HP figure. Flip has spent years trying to hit 600hp and has had a lot of setbacks. Kudos to him btw.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Twincharge it

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

street driven d series?

answer is always the same for me: T3 50 trim.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

What kind of gas are you going to be using?

Haven you checked out a gt3071

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

A few things that I don't see mentioned:

1. No one ever mentions gearing. Having a short/close transmission to keep you in boost/VTEC when shifting will go a very long way to moving the car more efficiently. Also, having an EMS that allows flat foot shifting greatly reduces stresses of shifting and the transient back to boost.

2. A more efficient intake manifold will go a long way to keeping torque flat at higher RPM which you will want and need to meet your goal.

3. 2.5" exhaust is not what I would be using to achieve the smallest spool time. I would suggest a 3" downpipe and exhaust. Turbos work on pressure differentials. The greater the pressure differential, the more work the turbo can do for a given amount of energy input. You need to maximizes the efficiency with a D15 since you are simply displacing less air per revolution.

4. It is going to be easier to hit your goals by lightening the car, re-gearing and pursuing efficiency over trying to make more power that is just more difficult with even less displacement and exhaust gas velocity (due to the engine geometry).

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Nothing thats gonna make 400whp is going to spool up quickly on a 1.6L.

Sad to say but ever thought about building a K24? Seriously, its not that expensive and you can probably take ur current turbo and swap it over and have a quick spooler that makes 400whp all day, probably on pump!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in