I have $1,200 to spend on turbo kit. looking for opinions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default I have $1,200 to spend on turbo kit. looking for opinions

I have around $1,200 to play with. *I'm trying to figure out the best bang for my buck. *I'm looking to make around 200 ish HP. *It will be tuned using Crome Pro and Ostrich which I already have. *It will be going in...
EG Hatch 94
D16Z6 - has new rings, seals, bearings 700mi on rebuild

option 1 - guy on craigslist is selling the following for $850
D16z6 engine w/ axels, starters, alternators and 2 extra intake manifolds
cable tranny
Stage 2 clutch w/ pressure plate and throwout bearing (brand new)
p28 ecu
Full greddy turbo kit including intercooler
Walboro 255 pump
DSM 450's

Option 2 - Go-Autoworks starter kit

Option 3 - give me some options
cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Humm craigslist ahhh.
Id pass on that. Plus the piece soundsbto go to be truth.

The go autowork starter is a really nice kit.
Id say if you got the money go with that and no worth about looking for parts.
Somethings in thw go autowork kit can be replace woth other cheaper parts that will work.
So ot really just comes down to if your trying to save some money or time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

I know it does sound to good to be true.

Only thing with the Go-Autoworks is I still need IC and piping oil lines and other little stuff. All that is at the upper end of my price range

This would be my first turbo install so it would be nice for things to go smooth

Old 09-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcaterpillars View Post
This would be my first turbo install so it would be nice for things to go smooth
I'd suggest increasing your budget.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
I'd suggest increasing your budget.
I have a total of $2,000 all together. Just found out I was getting more than I thought
Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

$2000 is still not enough for reliability and smoothness.

sure, its plenty for a quick and dirty, but you need to properly setup your car.

grab new coolant temp sensor, throw in a new Ignition Control Module and new Ignition coil, buy a set of NGK wires (8036? I think is part number), buy a enw set of spark plugs (NGK7/8 or Denso 22) buy a WIDEBAND sensor kit.

get those installed along with a new fuel filter and a new fuel pump sock.

tune the stock motor with those parts. Learn crome. find out its lack luster options, and figure out if you are even going to stick with crome.

Most people who choose crome are not prepared for the real cost of a properly running turbo setup

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Lol *poof* there went my turbo wish, if crome is gonna limit reliability w a turbo setup im staying n/a. Is it really like that?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Like already stated 1200-2000 is a tight budget to do it right. You'll be surprised when you think your almost done and then find that you need 200 bucks worth of little things.

I have 2k into just my Mani/downpipe, Neptune RTP, wastegate, injectors and turbo.

I would highly suggest saving more before you get started.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

You can piece together a turbo kit from oem parts off saabs and vw, and a d15 exaust manifold but you need to know how to weld and make stuff work. I can be done on your budget but where you are asking and wanting to buy a kit shows you arnt ready for that yet. So save and get it all at once as a bolt on kit, your budget is low for that though.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Like I said I have the engine management already with the exception of the wideband which will be coming.

I have a Garrett t25 that I was going to build around but the other day I was looking at it and noticed some shaft play.

I came into some money and thought it may be a better idea to scrap the T25 and go with a kit or piece something else together.

Just because this is my first turbo doesn't mean I didn't do my research. I'm just looking for some guidance with my options.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Yeah im limited by my desire to use what i already have. I can learnto live with quirks dealing w hardware and software and junk but if im better off not managing a turbo car w crome pro thats lame.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

crome pro required money. an extra $200 is not a bad thing to sell it and move to s300 or similar.

crome can and will run things just fine. it simply has more severe limitations that are irritating to deal with.

its like optimizing windows xp to work on todays software. its possible to an extent, but requires quite a bit of tinkering to make fluid

wait on the wideband. when you get it, like I said, tune the stock motor. you will learn a lot of what the tune effects and you can severely reduce your chances of blowing stuff up by gaining some familiarity with the software

Build what you have!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 skweekz is learning the way of the Dskweekz is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

check out my thread in the for sale section!
skweekz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcaterpillars View Post
I know it does sound to good to be true.

Only thing with the Go-Autoworks is I still need IC and piping oil lines and other little stuff. All that is at the upper end of my price range

Yea as said you can piece the kit together.
I dont remember how much it cause me for my kits. (turbo the car twice lol.)
but if you can do some fab work you can cut the cost.
IF not get the manifold, turbo and DP. Once you got that everything is easy and can be had for cheap if you research and see what knock offs work for other people.

I had an ebay wastegate (emusa i believe) that over boosted. top hat needed to be ports.
Then i also had one that work just fine.

So if your willing to do some work on some parts your be fine.

Oil lines are cheap in price if you know what your buying.
Dont buy oil feed line, but brake line (yes same thing, different name but you get better stuff if you get brake line vs ebay run of the mild oil lines)
drain is the same. My drain cost like $30 and thats for a weldles fitting, 2 an fittings and the turbo drain flange. Hose was heater hose from autozone.

So research some more and your see you can get it done for your budget but you might have to do more work then just bolt it on and good.

And dont forgot fuel managent and injectors. (i know you said crome pro but factor the cost of who your paying into this)

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by skweekz View Post
check out my thread in the for sale section!
I don't have access to the for sale section yet.

I don't mind having to work a little to get everything to fit. I've got some other options now. There's a guy selling a complete Turbonetics kit for $1000 w/ mini ram manifold.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

As with everything, if uget it used be prepared for if it should turn out to be junk. Factor rebuild/repair/replacement w another used unit costs when deciding if u should take the risk.

Glad to hear hulog will function at least, ive heard its far from plug and play like youd think. Tunerpro w moates gear for gm was nearly bug free, im sad its play w crome isnt gonna be as fun.

At least it can do it,im stoked. I dont have any obd1 gms anymore and neither do my folks
Old 09-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Send a message via Skype™ to evo_lucian

I had about $400 into my budget turbo system IIRC. I don't expect too many person on here to be able to reproduce my results with the same budget but its doable. For $1200-2000 I would piece together a kit, its not that hard. If that's out of the question just spend a lil more and get a goautoworks kit
Old 09-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

call greg at go-auto and see what can be done with that budget
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

I am completely fine with piecing a kit together. I would rather do that. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I wanted some ideas on pieces to get. I will contact go-autoworks too.

Liked I said stock d16z6 daily driver. Only want around 200 Hp. Something that spools quick.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

well, that T25 will definitely do the job.

Just do your due diligence, keep track of parts, find a way to get some minor welding done if necessary, and enjoy the end result when its all good to go

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in