Rough idle and puffing exhaust - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Rough idle and puffing exhaust

Hi

After some advice with my new build

Specs

JDM D15B Vtec
H-Beam rods (maxspeeding which is an eagle clone)
YCP vitara pistons 75mm
King rod and main bearings
Cylinders honed/deglazed
Hasting rings
450cc injectors
Stock fuel pump (have a walbro 255 to go in)
Blox adjustable FPR
Mildly polished head
BK7RE spark plugs gapped to 0.28
Chipped P28 running Crome Pro via an Ostrich 2.0
PLX Wideband and gauge
TD04-15G turbo
ARP head studs
stage 2 XTD clutch
New timing belt, water pump, tensioner

Ok so after all that, the issue I have is before the I rebuilt the engine I tuned it up myself and it was running pretty well, good AFR's at idle and throughout the power band.

Then I'm pretty sure I did blew the head gasket as I had coolant going everywhere and a lot of smoke/steam.

So I rebuilt it following guides, had the rods and crank sized to make sure the bearings would be ok and they came out as 0.023" which I know is a bit outside specs but from what I've read people have said a bit looser is ok for turbos.

Anyway the issue I have the engine running and the AFR is ok at idle, but it is really rough, the RPM is sort of surging a little bit and its accompanied by the exhaust making a sort of puffing sound. The engine is a bit tappy so I will have to adjust my valves again I set them to middle of the spec ranges 0.09 and 0.11 whatever they are.

The engine seems lumpy while idling, I've not actually driven the car anywhere yet merely doing some tuning in the garage. Timing seems to be ok I've got the engine warm and then jumped the service thing and adjusted it to standard timing with the distributor it seems to run fine unless I move it towards the white line too much.

So what is up with the lumpiness and puffy exhaust its pretty smokey too but I figured this was blow-by until the rings settle in.

Sorry for the long post but I guess more information is better than less in these cases.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

So an update on this, I found 1 ring was a bit smaller than the others so I have re-sized that. It was a top ring and was 0.016" compared to all my other ones which were 0.021. All my 2nd rings were 0.023-0.025 and third rings were all 0.025+.

But what I think has actually been causing it was that one of my arp2000 bolts was grazing the girdle. No idea how as when I put it together on the stand I triple checked that it wasn't touching, so had everything off and dremeled out the clearance.

My head gasket seems to have shrunk which is really weird it came off really easy but now won't go back on, any ideas how to get it back on? it is basically brand new only been in the car for about a week.

Ruined my intake gasket removing the intake manifold which is a right ball ache as that was brand new about a week ago. So will need to order another one too.

Do we think a slightly tighter ring and a glazing bolt would cause puffing? Maybe if its slowing down a cylinder enough? Thoughts?

Fingers crossed.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Head gaskets can be a bitch to get over arp studs sometimes. You just have to work it lol. I don't really think a tight ring gap would cause any problems until it butted ends and cracked. But if the rod bolt was hitting the girdle i could see that possibly slowing the engine down and causing a problem. I'm surprised you didn't hear it.

For your smoke concern, if it's still smoking after 50 miles of break in time I might be concerned. Do a lot of engine braking to help push the rings against the walls.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Hi

Yeah I couldn't really hear it although you would think you would, I think because it was only grazing with oil to lubricate it and not really hitting thankfully otherwise I'd be in a more trouble than I already am.

As far as the head gasket issue I think I'm just being stupid and need to flip it over, had been under the car for like 7 hours by that point.

Yes I decided to take the rods and pistons out with the engine in. I do have a crane but it would have taken me as long to get the enough out and put it back in as to do what I did, even if it would have been more comfortable. I didn't want to have to drain my gearbox again

I'm going to flush the engine once its back together and then I will let you know if the roughness and puffing is gone.

Fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in