Safest way to up compression on z6 vitara build? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Safest way to up compression on z6 vitara build?

Alright everyone thanks in advance for hearing me out with what may be dumb questions, but i'm indecisive after doing enough research to make my brain hurt a tad lol.

So after mulling it over a while, I decided to stick with the d-series platform because my ek hatch came with a d16z6. They're a dime a dozen near me so i can pick up a full running engine for $350 at various places. Since this is my first time turboing, don't want to pay a good amount for a b motor and the swap parts and mess something up. I plan on buying an extra motor and rebuilding it. Looking to get 325-375 whp!

I plan on using/doing the following things for the rebuild:

Eagle Rods
OEM bearings, rings and gaskets
Bore over stock sleeves to 75.5mm
new oem water pump/oil pump
New belts

I will be running e85 and i was planning on running the tried and true vitaras but, I was told on here that running a higher compression on e85 is recommended but vitaras give under 10:1. Anyone running low compression like this and using e85 not quite sure the negatives of low compression with e85.

I wasn't planning on doing anything to the head unless i upgrade valvetrain, but wasn't sure if that would be necessary. I'll probably do a more aggressive cam but haven't looked into them. I read on another forum that port and polish had little to no effect in power on the d series. Thoughts?

As far as the turbo pieces:
Ebay cast manifold
Ebay intercooler and piping
Go auto Oil lines
tial wastegate 38mm
greddy fv bov
t3/to4e 50 trim .48 A/R garrett turbo from STC 48lbs/min
turbosmart manual boost controller
go auto downpipe 3"
custom 3" exhaust
walbro 255lph pump
rc injectors 1000cc
custom dump tube

Is there anything I should switch? Also, before someone asks why i went with an ebay manifold, it looks identical to the go-auto one for a third of the price. If a cast won't get me to my goals in power, i'm all ears for an alternative. I can't find a quality log that's not diy. Next thing I was looking at would be the mini ram/downpipe/dumptube setup from go-auto. If there's anything else I'm overlooking please let me know! In summary, I'm most unsure of the piston type/compression, turbo size, manifold type, and if the 255lph pump is enough for e85.

This will be a somewhat daily driver for nice days when I don't have my son with me and I'm looking to get into autox as well with it! Looking for good spool characteristics on the turbo. Cheers!
vkhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Well, If it were me, I would at least get the head serviced while its off the car.. These engines are 20+ years old. Some spring cleaning and tolerances should be checked/repaired/replaced..

I didnt see a listing for pistons or compression goal for the engine build..

And when you route the paping, weld up as much as you can, but still can take it apart if needed. Use the less amount of couplers as yuo can.

I didnt know STC made a 50 trim turbo. But who knows, maybe they did over the past 2 years..
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 05-21-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Its not that E85 and low comp wont work well, its just that the effective octane of E85 allows you to run more compression and ignition advance than normal pump gas. So normally you want to take advantage of this.

The E85 will still make more power simply because it has oxygen in the molecule and it makes power because of it. All else being equal.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

^^

Yea, but for a DD, I wouldnt go with low compression.. Also the throttle response..

But who knows how the spool will be, maybe its down low??

Old 05-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
Well, If it were me, I would at least get the head serviced while its off the car.. These engines are 20+ years old. Some spring cleaning and tolerances should be checked/repaired/replaced..

I didnt see a listing for pistons or compression goal for the engine build..

And when you route the paping, weld up as much as you can, but still can take it apart if needed. Use the less amount of couplers as yuo can.

I didnt know STC made a 50 trim turbo. But who knows, maybe they did over the past 2 years..
I planned on getting the head cleaned up and checked with the block at the machine shop.

I was planning vitaras but was iffy because of the low compression with e85, didn't know if that has adverse effects on anything, hence this post asking about it.

It's not their turbo it's just a garrett "off the shelf" I believe. I'd link but I can't post one yet. It's under the garrett journal bearing section if you want to take a look.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Go with the RCautoworks vitaras and custom length rods or p2p0.com kit and bring that compression up closer to stock

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

where would you get custom length rods?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

nevermind i see what you meant. my apologies. do you have to notch the block for these rods?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

You have to notch the block for eagles and just about any other rod, I think the older fjt custom lengths didn't require notching but I'm not positive.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

I cant remember, but aftermarket rods fit OEM Honda pistons?

Here ya go OP..

Get your measurements and add it up.

Now this is just a ballpark calculator.. not a bible

http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

Old 05-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
I cant remember, but aftermarket rods fit OEM Honda pistons?

Here ya go OP..

Get your measurements and add it up.

Now this is just a ballpark calculator.. not a bible
I don't believe they do fit, but i plan on getting some aftermarket pistons as well just wasn't sure which. And that's a handy tool thank you. Would milling the head/deck be safe to do?

side note what's a safe amount to over bore the sleeve?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Default Safest way to up compression on z6 vitara build?

Like the title says, I'll be building a vitara z6 for turbo using custom length rods. Playing around with the zeal calculator, I got 8.65:1. That was using a cometic headgasket .030" and 76mm bore. I'm thinking about decking the block or milling the head but don't want to shave too much off. Whats a safe amount to shave, and is it better to take material off the head or block?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You can deck the block until the pistons are flush and shave head to get desired CR. Make sure you get an adjustable cam gear to make up for the difference.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

^^
Thats going to be alot of shaving.. I would just get OEM pistons, shave the head.

Ive never been a fan of low compression builds unless strictly for high HP applications.

For a street car, Id keep in the 10:1 range.

So the logical thing to do would be to change pistons, deck the head according to what youll need. I wouldnt go too extreme.. The timing belt will also be a factor to look into

But hey, thats just what I would do..

Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

why not buy some je pistons?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

DOesnt YCP piston make pistons for the D?

I used the ITR replicas for my B20 build and I cant recall if they had D series pistons, but pretty sude they do. They fit OEM rods.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

I planned on getting one but wasn't fairly certain how to tune it. I can put the stuff together just not very knowledgable on the fine adjustments. Not sure how the gear timing correlates with shaving material but i'll look into it thanks!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
why not buy some je pistons?
mostly cost I can get the full bottom end parts for 200 more than a set of those pistons and I've seen vitara builds in my goal range of 350-400whp.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
DOesnt YCP piston make pistons for the D?

I used the ITR replicas for my B20 build and I cant recall if they had D series pistons, but pretty sude they do. They fit OEM rods.
yes they are the vitaras
Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

For that power level, your going to spend it elsewhere to get to that level. Better turbo and manifold for starters.

Sounds like you have a little more planning and budget to get to your goals. Seems like your trying to get to your power level the cheapest way possible. I guarantee your not factoring in alot of things needed for your HP goals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in