Weird smoking problem. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default Weird smoking problem.

ill try to keep this short.

MY turbo d16 seems to smoke after i drive for a bit then sit and idle for 10 to 15mins.
This normally happens at the worse time. Fast food drive thru.

The car will be fine and ill drive see no smoke (stop and go, boost and cursing here and there).
Then i pull into a fast food place. wait in line. if the wait is about 10 or 15min long. The car will start to smoke.

Makes a weird sound too. I believe its the fan kicking in and the idle dropping and everything kinda running on lower power.
Doesnt stall, AFR gauge is normal 14-15ish. but once i hear this i can look out the window and see it starting to smoke.

SMOKE is greyish with a small amount of blue. Misty like smoke. seems to break up easy.

Ill sit in the drive thru with this misty smoke (comes out pretty good)
ill gas it to pull up a car, some more smoke comes out. does this each time i pull up.
Then i get my food and take off, small amount of smoke then it stops.
Get home which is about 2min drive from my normal places.

Get out and let it idle for 5mins and no smoke.
Give it some gas and no smoke.
Hit LC for a few seconds and no smoke.
Let it idle for a few mins then put some load on the motor (brake and gas) No smoke.

I know that when the valve seals are bad. It will smoke after high vac.
I try to decelerate in higher gears and see if i see any smoke. Nothing i can see.
Dont got a lot of people that can follow me around to test this out.
But did have my sis-in-law follow me somewhere we where going and she didnt see any smoke.

Nothing on my setup has ready change. Same drain,feed, tune, places i get gas.

I did redo my crank ventaliztion. but i made it better. it smoke before and after the redo the same.

I remove the turbo to do my emission and check it out.
The turbo has a film of oil on the compressor side. Blades are very clean and still look new.
The exhaust side is dry and looks normal.
The manifold look

I did find a piece of plastic or rubber, in the oil drain housing.
IDK wft it is. looks like like a very thin oring, but cant find out what oring it would be and why it would be in there.
id also say blown turbo but there is no play in the shaft and no oil in the exhaust.

idk if im loosing oil because i had a VC leak and just fit it a day ago.
I lose coolant from time to time. Havent been able to find out where. pressure test show bottom rad hose, fixed it now it shows good but every once in a while ill see a few drops on the bottom of the rad.

But im not thinking head gasket since it doesnt smoke all the time and the spark plugs look good and cant see any oil coolant mix.

Going to drive around for a few day without the turbo on and see if it will smoke.

Looking for any help with testes i can do to see what is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_150335.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	107698  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Check your cold side piping from the turbo and see if there's any oil in there. Could be just a blown seal

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtec8k View Post
Check your cold side piping from the turbo and see if there's any oil in there. Could be just a blown seal
well the compressor has a film of oil, but the ic pipe is just a little dirty.
there a 90 right off the outlet. i put my hand and felt around in there. it doesnt feel oily just kinda dirty. the other end of the pipe is good and the other ic pipes are dry and clean.

I heard some people said before you can get oil in the compressor if the filter was dirty and you boost sucking oil in from the center housing.

. RIP

Old 05-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Hmmm.. How's your return line looking like?

Old 05-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

not the best drain, but not much i can do about it.
ill try a new line when i reinstall the turbo.

so you dont think its the motor?

. RIP

Old 05-16-2016, 05:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to evo_lucian

I think if it were the motor it would be constant
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

well pass emission. swap the turbo back on.
First start and warm idle there is a small amount of smoke.
So yea its the turbo.
It still boosts just fine tho. Im undecided on what im going to do.
I have a .060 restrictor already.

IDK if i should go with a smaller one or just get another turbo /build this one.
Ill try to do something with the drain but like i said never had smoke until a month ago.

. RIP

Old 05-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

I had exactly the same problem as yours. What I did is:
Put a oil inlet restrictor (which you said you already have), made a new return traight line with no bends, replaced bearing and oil seals, and the problem is gone.
How long do you ahve the restrictor on it?
Please post a pic of your drain line, I would suspect it at the first place, especially if you say that it's not the best one.

Please take a look at my posts on this thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/force...ock-turbo.html
Front big intercooler
Ebay turbo T3/T4 - A/R 50. boost ~ 0.5 bar
TIAL wastegate
Ebay Exhaust manifold + 2.5" straight pipe
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
JRSC_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

restrictor since day one. its the 1.5mm (or .061)
My drain isnt the best but has been untouched for the year i had this turbo..

only pic of the drain i got

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/xile...64121.jpg.html

I plan to order some an fittings to see if maybe i could get it a bit better. But without redrilling the pan i might not be able to do much.

would it be good to use a 1mm restrictor?

img tag isnt working for some reason but clicky link

. RIP

Last edited by xile6; 05-16-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

IMO 1mm is way too thin and I afraid you will fry the bearings like that.
Your restrictor size is excellent, it really makes sense that your drain is the weak link.
Please upload the pic again, I can't see it.
Front big intercooler
TIAL wastegate
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
Old 05-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Glad you figured it out i kind of figured it'd be the turbo. One of our integra is doing to the same thing so i sold him my PTE 62mm.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Richardtuning is almost a somebodyRichardtuning is almost a somebodyRichardtuning is almost a somebodyRichardtuning is almost a somebody

Turbo issues IMO
Precision 5431 Billet
1/4 mille @ 13.1 sec for now!!

Richardtuning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

The drain looks fine.
Front big intercooler
TIAL wastegate
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

I would get the turbo rebuilt. Since it's intermittent problem you likely blew out the seals..
91hatchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in