d16y8 stock turbo!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d16y8 stock turbo!!

Hello there...
I recently finish my d16y8 turbo "build".
I have a chinese t3/t4 turbo 0.63ar and i was runing without oil restrictor, (didn't know i have too) and i had problems with my cold side wheel, it was spiting oil... I've done some reserch and i decide to get an 0.035 restrictor... When i install it for few days it was runing perfect... Then it startet to spit oil again... Not much but it is noticeble... I have send the turbo to an expert to see if i blew any "sealings" but he sayed the turbo is good.... Any suggestions?? I still thinking i blew the "sealings" or it is natural to have some oil in the cold side wheel??
i want some more opinions!!!!
Thnx for your time guys and if you don;t understand something or i didn;t explain correctly just tell me to be more accurate in my explanation!!!
P.S and sry for my english :/
sw2ncx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

drop down to a smaller restrictor. how does the drain look? if a shop said it was good, Id tend to believe them. if its a china turbo maybe take it to have a 2nd look from another shop
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

You also need. Good drain. If your drain isnt good then it will backup and oil will have no where to go.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thnx guys for the reply.... I think my return line is ok because it was working good for a few days..... I will check it again to be sure.... What size smaller restrictor??? Isn't it .035 small enough? Is metter tha tthe restrictor is on oil adapter plate and not in the turbo???? (cause i coudn't find one to screw on the turbo and i just made a gheto and screw it to adapter plate ) I will send it again for check to another shop, but first i want to try what i can and then send it again!!!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I checked the reurn line it seems to bee fine... is almost straight down and i'm using 13mm hose..... If i drop down to .025 restrictor (0.6mm) will it be good for the turbo?????
Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

It should work fine. Where are you from?
91hatchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

I had similar issues with the same turbo. It was wet on the cold side, and somking after continuous idle (10 minutes).
I took the turbo apart, replaced all bearings/seals, put a custom made banjo bolt with a specific hole size, and the problem is gone.

I forget what is the size of the restrictor, but I'll check it and update soon.
Front big intercooler
Ebay turbo T3/T4 - A/R 50. boost ~ 0.5 bar
TIAL wastegate
Ebay Exhaust manifold + 2.5" straight pipe
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
JRSC_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Hello again... I'm from greece.... I will try a smaller restrictor then... I was just afarid of my turbo lubrication.... I will wait your reply JRSC_D16 before i proced to smaller restrictor..... If i try different OIL??? Right now i'm using 10-40 full synthetic... If i go to 15 will it have any problems???
Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Hey m8,
The restrictor size was 0.065".
I'm attaching links so you can see almost the whole procedure I've gone through, in order to fix my turbo issues.
I installed it not so long ago, so those posts aren't updated, but I can tell you that after I rebuilt the turbo, made a new return line and put a restrictor in the oil inlet, the turbo is dry on both sides and not smoking a bit.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/force...moke-idle.html

https://www.d-series.org/forums/force...4-rebuild.html
Front big intercooler
Ebay turbo T3/T4 - A/R 50. boost ~ 0.5 bar
TIAL wastegate
Ebay Exhaust manifold + 2.5" straight pipe
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
JRSC_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Hey. Sounds like turbo seals are blown. Time for rebuild
91hatchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

heyyy there...... Ok i have smaller restrictor than yours.. So i propably i have to make a service my turbo and it will be healthy again without any wet sides.. :P Thnx for the info my friend.... I will try it and come back to post my results...!!! thnx again!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Ok i found something new.... I went to a mechanic and i explain to him my problem... And vuala.... My turbo cold side is fluttering.... I can't explain it better.. Like my bov is not big enough and when i let the gas she opens and then the turbo start to brake and we hear a flutter from the turbo cold side.... I have HKS sequental china .. So he said that's the problem for the oil in my cold side... I don't know that much for this one but is seems to be true.......Is that possible??
Old 05-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I doubt the BOV is causing your oil seal leak in your turbo..

I do see it malfunctioning since it is a knockoff and the chinese dont care if it works right or not, they get paid .15/hr to toss that shit in a box and sell it to people who dont want a real BOV
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

So the flatering is not doing the damage for the oil leak....
But i quess i have to buy a real bov... (it wasn't for lifetime anyway i just istall it to work the car until i can buy a good one)... So i quess i'm going back for turbo "seals".. Or i just get a Real Garret turbo and i will be fine...... :/
Old 05-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

What your hearing is compressor surge. which could possibly cause problems..

But not running an oil restrictor usually is the main culprit with the chinachargers

Old 05-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Cool..I will send my turbo for rebuild, i'm currently running 0.9mm restrictor....I will get a good BOV And i will come back with news!!!
Thank u all guys for the help!!!
One more Problem i have is That my water tempratures is too high and with water Oil is following.... Is this because i'm using stock D series radiator?? Is anyone knowing???
The motor is rebuilted with stock internals (didn't planing for turbo but... it happend xD )
and i'm planing to change it with a Skunk2 but will this fix the problem with my tempratures problem???
Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

is the downpipe anywhere near the radiator?

Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

the downpipe is in the oposide direction.. is far from the radiator........!!!! But the radiator seemms to small... i think i 1 or 2 core ....
Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Could be the fan is old as shit..
probably the original.. Might start looking for a replacement..

Boost aint cheap.. It will make you find the weakest link til youve replaced just about everything. Wait til the mounts take a shit. Thats going to mess up the axles and welds on the DP

Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Yes i know boost isn't cheap.. I already startet to understanding for good... :P
Yes is the OEM origal one and i think is a bit slow when it kick on... So for the DP i made it from scracth i didn't want the ebay one and i just keep the flange for the turbo .... So if i change the radiator and the fan propably i will be fine???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in