Injector/Fuel Pump woes? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Injector/Fuel Pump woes?

Thought it would be a while before I came back with troubles..

Long story short, 94 Civix DX, stock d16z6, smallish turbo, adjustable FPR, DSM black tops and box, Walbro 255, bkr7e's and factory ignition system (wires, distributor, etc) tuned on ECTune.

The rundown -- was driving home today, car is at about a 1/4 tank of 93, let off the gas while braking because it seems to have developed a habit of puffing smoke during decel while in gear, didn't do it when it was freshly tuned; and the car died. Immediately started it back up, proceeded to run fine and drive as usual. About 10 minutes later I was accelerating and the car died completely. Wouldn't start back up, though I could hear fuel pump priming. After several attempts at starting the car, it finally fired and managed to get me home, all while running as if nothing had happened.

Haven't torn into it to try to diagnose it yet, came here to see if anybody has any recommendations as to what I ought to look for? My Wideband never give me any strange readings during running and the car never threw a CEL. It cranks fine, goes to start and it's like someone has just suffocated it, doesn't even try to idle. I will also note that when its hot (I live in Florida) and the car has run for 20 minutes or so I can hear the fuel pump whining hard, and in some instances while my blinkers are being used I can hear it fluctuating with the blinkers. Sometimes it will fluctuate at a normal idle.

Ideas?
hoimmaslapyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

New symptom, fuel pump primes only when the key is turned as if you were starting the car, but not accessory on, CEL and ABS lights aren't working on accessory on either, only when the key is turned to actual start. Guessing this is indeed ignition related.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Had simular problems on my ek4, changed igniton switch and there was no more problems so i would start there.
david_2oosx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Did you change the full ignition/locking mechanism or just the electronics?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

First look at the ignition switch, then maybe the main relay. EG/EK are old enough where BOTH parts are starting to fail, but nobody ever believes it til they replace them.

To explain why it would prime on "start" but not "on", they use different contacts to power different main relay pins. "Start" runs the main relay directly, while "on" allows the ECU to activate the main relay. If one or both of the ignition switch contacts are bad, or either of the main relay pins/wires are bad, it will not prime in either/both key positions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Okay, cool. I thought it odd that all of a sudden it wasn't priming like it normally did. I believe I've got an old main relay I pulled that was still functioning (preventative measures I take when I buy any type of Honda lol) that I'll give a whirl. Certainly cheaper than changing out the ignition switch.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I had a similar problem ,no pump prime or dash lights in run position and occasional leave you on the side of the road .

the ignition switch contacts had worn away ..
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

easy way to tell if ignition wiring.

turn blinker (not hazards) on left or right. if it dies with car, its ignition wiring.

Did this on my car, solved hot stalls and stalls over bumpy roads. partially holding key towards starter position kept it running

pop sparkplugs out and check them over

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks guys, gonna try and cram my big ass up under the dash to just confirm its the switch, having trouble finding the 7 pin connector that goes to the fuse block.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

google ftmfw

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Yea I identified the 5 pin.. Not sure which one of those are meant to be the 7 I'm supposed to pull to check resistance.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

pull the bottom steering cover off and look at back of ignition switch. follow wiring to plug.

unplug. do the test for continuity between key positions. if it doesnt work, wiggle key around. if it then works fine, hit up ebay.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Couldn't find 7 pin connector because zip ties and electrical tape, SMFH. Antique car alarm wiring had it hidden.

Checked continuity and wouldn't you know it? Switch is bad. Got one coming asap. Thanks again folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in