Time to choose another turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 04:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Flip
Default Time to choose another turbo

Hey guys...... well my wife's turbo (the awesome modded 16g) blew apart a week after tuning session... So I am looking for another turbo that will get me to 300+ and very fast spool, like the 16g.

I know what popps into my head first, the gt2860rs disco potato that I sold a couple years ago LMAO. So......

I definitely want a WARRANTY with this turbo, do you guys think a NEW gt2860rs with a warranty is still the way to go?

I want the best, I was looking at different turbos, of course there are a lot of 300+hp turbos for our car, just want some opinions before I drop $1300 on another turbo.

Also, I know Greg from go-auto has some turbos, but any comparable to the disco potato?

Also looking at gtx model garrett turbos...

Btw, I want this this turbo to spool so fast I'm at full spool at idle!~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Flip; 04-09-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abide

might as well go gtx2860r for the new wheel, dont think youd find more power with a faster spool unless the gamma-ti turbine on the BW EFR 6258 can manage it. Those are my two picks if i ever find the budget.
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

The old Disco Potato is still a prettyy good performer, especially considering its age.

That being said, if youre already looking to spend that kind of cash, the Borg EFR series are really excellent. And if youre already looking at building a nnew manifold, why not go with a turbo that has an very good IWG and built in bypass valve?

Here is a comparison between the Borg EFR 6758 (dotted line), and the Garrett GT2560R (solid line)

Very comparable turbos. These two may be a little smaller than youre looking for, but I dont have a comparison of the Disco Potato with the next size up EFR.

EDIT:
The above graph is from MiataTurbo, where apparently people are saying something is fucky. The EFR on similar setups normally blows the Garrett out of the water both in spool and power.

Here is another car running the EFR 6758

Shit is pretty impressive.

You can tell the EFR really likes high boost.

Last edited by Full_Tilt; 04-09-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all

integrated recirc, wg, and solenoid is hard to argue with even for the price. sucks no twinscroll in that size though. their integrated twinscroll wastegate would be perfect for packaging.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

For the price of that Borg Warner 5862.... Like $1,200 minimum capable of 440hp. I was looking at the precision 5431 capable of 500hp and about half the price of a BW. Anyone that can chime in would be helpful. Thanks
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I would imagine there is a big difference in spool. The EFR turbos have some space age voodoo magic shit in them.

It just comes down to what youre trying to do with the car. If it was a competitive road racing car, the best possible, best matched turbo is what you want. This is where the EFR turbos are popular.

Street car or drag car, budget conscious, Precision or Turbonetics is probably the way to go.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

^ for starters that price difference on the precision is a journal bearing. The same size compressor wheel would actually be the next size up on the EFR. Capable of the same max hp but the EFRs have a much lighter exhaust turbine than anything else I'm aware of made from a titanium alloy instead of inconel.

basically just more power/flow earlier and held for longer. if you do account for an effective internal wastegate, boost controller, and integrated recirc it's still a little on the expensive side compared to a GTX.

Last edited by Abide; 04-09-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
I would imagine there is a big difference in spool. The EFR turbos have some space age voodoo magic shit in them.

It just comes down to what youre trying to do with the car. If it was a competitive road racing car, the best possible, best matched turbo is what you want. This is where the EFR turbos are popular.

Street car or drag car, budget conscious, Precision or Turbonetics is probably the way to go.
This is not my race car. My wife is going to be driving this car more than me. I want this turbo to spool as quick as possible, and be reliable at 300whp, which seems to be the perfect number for the street.

I've been researching the efr turbo's, and that is probably what I will end up getting. If these efr turbos can spool anything like my 16g did, it would be perfect.

This is going to be our secondary car. It was our secondary car and was doing perfectly well until the 16g decided to turn into a hot air intake.

Flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in