Budget turbo B16, help me sort out the details! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx
Default Budget turbo B16, help me sort out the details!

I've come to realize I've got enough spare parts to have a running B16 88-91 car, and I'm picking up a shell on a trade. In fact, I have my old cams from my autoX car, trading more parts for a full Skunk2 valve train, and an updated P30 intake manifold. Only thing I'll need is a flywheel, turbo and turbo accessories.

My initial plan was to get an HX35 and throw it on the stock motor for around 300whp then build a spare shortblock I have and try to turn it up as much as sleeves will hold. I think I can get the initial setup going for under $2K, trading work and CRX parts for most of the stuff I need (and having a friend build me custom manifold).

My main question is will the hx35 support 5-600whp? That's my endgame, with a sub 2000lb car. I have access to a GT35RS that needs a rebuild as well if it will make more power but it will likely be a pricey rebuild vs the Holset (again, have a hookup on a friend who can rebuild Holsets). It's been years since I've researched or tuned a turbo car, so I've forgot everything haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

The 7 blade hx35 will get you a little over 500whp, a gt35rs wont be easily rebuildable since garrett doesnt sell the BB rebuild kits.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The issue isn't the holset, but rather the b16. Worst motor to build for high hp drag car. Do a lsvtec if you want that kind of power
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
The 7 blade hx35 will get you a little over 500whp, a gt35rs wont be easily rebuildable since garrett doesnt sell the BB rebuild kits.
Good to know. Not trying to build a world beater just something fast on the cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheworld0 View Post
The issue isn't the holset, but rather the b16. Worst motor to build for high hp drag car. Do a lsvtec if you want that kind of power
Why's that? I'm not building a hugely fast car just something quick on a budget. If I wanted a silly fast car I wouldn't be putting 13:1 slugs in my 85mm GSR. If I can throw some rods and pistons in a spare block for under a grand I'll likely have less than 3K in a car that will run 11's

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

What do you want to do with it?

With your stated aim of 5-600 whp, won't you also need to factor in some sort of launch control? Even if your right foot is eminently controllable, you'll surely need some other help to be progressive.

Or is that simply the point of view of an old fart who grew up thinking Jaguars are quick? (And RWD!)

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enough

Nothing wrong with the B16, here's one that I tuned over the years. b16 10.19 stock sleeves - Honda-Tech Thhttp://honda-tech.com/drag-racing-36/b16-10-19-stock-sleeves-3072629/ The stock motor made 400 hp for a long time before he decided to build it.
jockobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 car_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I went 11s on 284hp so it shouldnt take much to get into the 11s on a boosted b. If you want to help keep the price down just pick up a cast manifold and bolt the hx up to that. I would do the hx over the 35r because of the cheapness. Stock flywheel and a good clutch is a big help too. Eventually if you really want 5-600 you will probably have to go bigger like the 35r depending on model or a hx40. I see a lot of the big guys run a twin scroll on a t4 flange but I bet a non divided manifold would work great and go fast.
91 hatch; stock internal z6, y7 cam swap, 5431 12.6psi, - [email protected]
2009 Infinity G37; [email protected]

07 R6s; slip on, k&n, Powercomander 3, Factory pro velocity stacks, Factory Pro +4 iginition [email protected]
car_freak66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

So I have personally ran a b16 boosted and my friend has. In that link posted it's clear to see they have their limits. Car runs 10.7 with 400 hp, and with well over 600, runs .6 faster. It's because the powerband of that 600 hp is so small. I had a 57 trim on mine and spooled it at 5500, and my friend had a hx35 on his, and he didn't hit full boost till almost 6500 rpm. If you build the head and balance the bottom end, take the car to 10k, great, go for it. But your tq level will still be significantly lower than a b18 block. If your goals is 11's, in a light chassis, you can do that on 400 hp pretty easily.
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in