1/8th mile turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Misease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Misease
Default 1/8th mile turbo

Okay so i know there are a million threads on what turbo everyone should run for hp goals/dd goals/ 1/4 goals etc. One thing i haven't seen much is what is essentially ideal for 1/8th mile. I've had hp goals in my mind the entire time i've been building my D and i'm just now coming to the conclusion, there is only an 1/8th mile track near me so i should be more concerned on something that would perform well in this platform. So i'm about to order my turbo and i'm starting to lean more towards a smaller turbo. Anyone have any inputs or mathematical reasoning on some ideal turbo sizes or 1/8th mile.

Motor is vitara/p2p rods with stock z6 head so far. I also have a golden eagle sheet metal intake i'm thinking about ditching after finding out how much tq loss one has.

Car will be moderately gutted ek sedan. I hope to be able to run mid 7's in the 1/8th while being able to drive my car to and from the track.
Misease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Im not so sure there would be much of a difference in an optimum setup between 1/4 and 1/8. Maybe if we were talking a super high power car, you may opt for a little bit smaller turbo, but most D builds are not on that level. Most of what youre going to be working on is getting the car out of the hole, and that is the same if youre going 1/4 of a mile or only 1/8.
A big turbo has no trouble overwhelming the tires in 1st gear with the help of "antilag". Size the turbo for the power you want to make, and it will spool as fast as it will. THat is all you can expect.

Basically, I think you can look to emulate these 1/4 mile builds and do well on the shorter track.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Misease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Misease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
Im not so sure there would be much of a difference in an optimum setup between 1/4 and 1/8. Maybe if we were talking a super high power car, you may opt for a little bit smaller turbo, but most D builds are not on that level. Most of what youre going to be working on is getting the car out of the hole, and that is the same if youre going 1/4 of a mile or only 1/8.
A big turbo has no trouble overwhelming the tires in 1st gear with the help of "antilag". Size the turbo for the power you want to make, and it will spool as fast as it will. THat is all you can expect.

Basically, I think you can look to emulate these 1/4 mile builds and do well on the shorter track.
I understand i just thought that perhaps the hp loss with the faster spooling compared to higher hp/slower spooling. There would be some sort of a median for 1/8th mile. As i know D's have a hard time spooling bigger turbo's.
Misease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 CandyRedRC46  is accepted as part of the communityCandyRedRC46  is accepted as part of the communityCandyRedRC46  is accepted as part of the communityCandyRedRC46  is accepted as part of the community

basically you would really need to maximize your traction and gearing, as in absolute shortest ratio final drive and closest gear set possible, limited slip differential, minimal rotational weight (fly wheel, wheels, tires etc), traction bar and slicks (as small of diameter possible, to minimize weight and lower your effective gearing, while still maintaining traction). This car would need to focus a little less on out right horse power and more on being able to get out of the hole and stay in your powerband until close to 100mph, so a broad torque curve with horsepower in the 300 range would actually be more beneficial than a peaky torque curve with 400hp centered near the redline.

Last edited by CandyRedRC46; 02-06-2016 at 06:45 PM.
CandyRedRC46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Im using a HX35 with a custom 7cm turbine housing. On a ramhorn manifold. Nitrous will take up the slack.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

I'd say 50trim would work good for all around use. It won't spool until 4.5k or so, but you have enough juice to move the car, not to mention if you can get it out of the hole fast enough and stay in boost in 2nd gear. You should raise that goal to like low 7s high 6s in the 1/8 mile. You can do it! Btw, I've had the best luck with 23x8x13 slicks on stock geared d16 ex trans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016, 05:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

125 shot on a progressive controller.

But if you really want to turbo, do a HM setup with a t25 or a 16g, either way you could add nitrous to boot
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I'm in the same situation. The way I see it is its more about gearing than HP. Right now I'm trying to decide on tire height to get me to the mph I want, and in the gear I want at the end of the 1/8th.

13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in