Using stock oil pan drain plug for turbo drain - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Using stock oil pan drain plug for turbo drain

Good afternoon all.. Before anyone throws stones... here me out on this one.. please

I have been doing research on options to configure the turbo drain line into the oil pan. I have been reading through discussions on other platforms (such as BMWs) where the stock oil drain plug was modified and used as the turbo drain entrance back into the pan.

Pros:
- Eliminates the need to remove and tap the existing pan. Simply modify the current drain plug or mock up a new fitting with the turbo drain line attached.

Cons:
- the line will likely fill with oil and remain full up to the oil level in the pan.
- Under heavy acceleration, cornering, etc.. the level of oil in the line can increase (I doubt it will reach the turbo exit location though... but I could be wrong)
- Added drain line length needed since the drain plug for my d16y8 pan is on the back side. (I am not overly worried about this though. just need to figure out how to adapt a fitting that can thread into the existing drain hole and wrap the return line around the driver side of the pan).

Alright.. those are my thoughts.. Any suggestions or advice for/against? Anyone done this and can recommend some fittings to use to make it work?

Thx folks
2002 C5 Z06 (Built for Road Racing)
1999 Grand Prix GTP (Built and self tuned on E85)
1998 & 1999 Grand Prix GTPs
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97AutoXVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

oil pan has to be removed to install stronger rods and pistons anyway ,,so why not just drill and tap so the drain is above the oil line and not have turbo seal troubles...
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Going to run a low boost setup on the stock block. Know of some buddies who have pushed up to 220whp safely on stock internals. If I blow it, I blow it
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Do it the way its suppose to be done.
Drop the pan, drill and tap if or use a bolt in fitting.

Makes no sense to do it wrong and blow the motor.
And makes even no sesne at all to not care about blowing a motor.

So end the end do it the correct way.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

the drain plug is on the wrong side of the pan to do this.

with an $18 ebay -10AN bulkhead fitting, there's an easy and no-weld way to do it right the first time
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Do it the way its suppose to be done.
Drop the pan, drill and tap if or use a bolt in fitting.

Makes no sense to do it wrong and blow the motor.
And makes even no sesne at all to not care about blowing a motor.

So end the end do it the correct way.
Guess I should have clarified my "blown motor" comment.. with my low boost setup, if I would blow the motor from that alone, then I guess it would be time for a new rebuild anyway. I would not be happy, but it would push me over the edge to do a built rotating assembly swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
the drain plug is on the wrong side of the pan to do this.

with an $18 ebay -10AN bulkhead fitting, there's an easy and no-weld way to do it right the first time
Agreed.. after thinking about it some more, any hard acceleration run would prevent that oil from moving out of the drain tube into the pan since it is on the backside.

Sounds like I will be doing it the right way after all. Thx for the responses
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
Old 02-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Why the HELL would you want to slow down the oil draining from the turbo?
Do it the correct way.

If you really want it easier, tap the dipstick hole, run your drain there.

Then run a d17 valvecover and dipstick if you are d-vtec or 96+ nonvtec

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Wooowww
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

You can get drain nipple kits that require just one hole drilled, no epoxy/sealant/welding.

5 8" ID Hose Oil Pan Drain Return Fitting Turbo T3 T4 T6 GT30 GT35R T70 Silve | eBay
Turbo Oil Pan Oil Sump Return Drain Plug Adapter Bung Fitting 5 8" 16mm 45 Deg | eBay

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
Problem with that is they will always leak slightly and the nut can back off (maybe not with that set screw). I did this twice, first time I used aluminum -an fittings and after a year the bulkhead nut backed off and the drain became loose and I ruined a brand new clutch by getting oil everywhere, second time I used a steel fitting and "killed" the threads by tacking it with my welder after it was tightened down. This worked fine but I always had an oil mist on the pan, I then hit a rock and blew my pan up so I got a steel pan and fitting then just welded them.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

2012 9th Gen Honda Civic Si EFR Turbo Kit Installation

Found that article this afternoon.. Some good info in "Step 3: Prep for oil drain"
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
Thanks for posting that I might go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
Problem with that is they will always leak slightly and the nut can back off (maybe not with that set screw). I did this twice, first time I used aluminum -an fittings and after a year the bulkhead nut backed off and the drain became loose and I ruined a brand new clutch by getting oil everywhere, second time I used a steel fitting and "killed" the threads by tacking it with my welder after it was tightened down. This worked fine but I always had an oil mist on the pan, I then hit a rock and blew my pan up so I got a steel pan and fitting then just welded them.
Wouldn't thread lock solve the nut backoff issue?
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Not all threadlock likes to be around oil and a constant heating and cooling environment.

would need the kind of threadlock they use in transmission builds. Bone might know what Im talking about.

I read about it after watching a bunch of T5 rebuild videos on youtube

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
first time I used aluminum -an fittings and after a year the bulkhead nut backed off and the drain became loose
The straight version has a special-ish o-ring and even a jamb screw to keep the nut from spinning. Using hondabond for both threadlocker & thread sealant would help quite a bit too.

The first non-solid drain I used was just a T3 turbo-side drain flange. I used decent SS bolts (head inside the pan) & hondabond along with lock washers & lock nuts. It's stayed tight for the last few years.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

You're thinking too hard.

Coat the Threads in JB weld.

Tighten until its about to strip/deform the pan.

Done
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 03:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to evo_lucian

sounds like you made up your mind before you made this thread. Go right ahead and try to re-invent the wheel and post your results
Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_lucian View Post
sounds like you made up your mind before you made this thread. Go right ahead and try to re-invent the wheel and post your results
Have yet to make up my mind actually.. While I am more leaning towards the recommended route of tapping the pan on the forward side just to eliminate risk, I still haven't seen strong evidence against using the stock drain plug. Have continued searching and I have found success stories with guys using the stock plug location (not necessarily on a d16y8 though).
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
Old 02-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97AutoXVette View Post
Have yet to make up my mind actually.. While I am more leaning towards the recommended route of tapping the pan on the forward side just to eliminate risk, I still haven't seen strong evidence against using the stock drain plug. Have continued searching and I have found success stories with guys using the stock plug location (not necessarily on a d16y8 though).
doesnt work on a d16 motor with the exhaust on the front.
The line would loop and it will just cause headaches.

Now i do believe i saw a 8th gen si civic with the K20 motor using the drain bolt.
But if you look at that setup the drain line is high up and is about a foot long, so its kinda hard to backup.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
doesnt work on a d16 motor with the exhaust on the front. The line would loop and it will just cause headaches.
Yeah, I think I am just going to avoid the headache and eliminate risk and do it the right way. I do not want to put this full kit in, only to fail the turbo shortly afterwards. Appreciate the info.

On a side note, finished my gauge install this week in prep for the turbo. Modified and used a radio block-off plate:

2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!

Clean job on the gauge install. Personally I would of utilized the whole block-off plate incase future gauges were required.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in