S300 and Boost by gear - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Default S300 and Boost by gear

My fellow shop buddy has been pushing me to change from the stone age crome and go with s300. I have been reluctant to change.(stubborn german) I do admit boost by gear would be nice to have though. I am here to ask some input on this.... what is all involved in making it work correctly? Just s300 and a re-tune? or is there more involved? Also, what are the other "gains" from having s300 compared to crome? I can get the s300 for cost here at my local shop and I think I would need a new virgin p28 ecu. Enlighten me friends on why I should switch....

Setup is: d16y8, vitara/eagle build, 50 trim Bullseye @23lbs. 93oct....
Power numbers since last tune Aug 15' 328whp/258tq.....
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The ecu should just need to be resolder. Crome and neptune use a snap in connector with female part on the ecu.
Hondata uses a male part on the ecu.
Also it docks into the dataloging port if i remember correctly.
Either way you dont need a new ecu just resolder what you got.

And boost by gear needs a mac solenoid to control boost.
The. Its all program in the ecu.

If you have no problem with spinning in gear then boost by gear probably wont do much for you.

And yea once you get it all setup. Just port your map over and retune from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
The ecu should just need to be resolder. Crome and neptune use a snap in connector with female part on the ecu.
Hondata uses a male part on the ecu.
Also it docks into the dataloging port if i remember correctly.
Either way you dont need a new ecu just resolder what you got.

And boost by gear needs a mac solenoid to control boost.
The. Its all program in the ecu.

If you have no problem with spinning in gear then boost by gear probably wont do much for you.

And yea once you get it all setup. Just port your map over and retune from there.
Okay great, any personal experience with it? What boost levels would one recommend for the first couple gears? 7....10 max?

Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblkVTEC View Post
Okay great, any personal experience with it? What boost levels would one recommend for the first couple gears? 7....10 max?
No hands on.
I ran crome back in the day, then aem fic piggy back and i now run neptune which is pretty much neck and neck with hondata.
Neptune does alot of the same stuff as hondtay.

And for boost by gear just up the boost till it slips then back down a psi or 2.

I have all the stuff to do boost by gear with neptune but dont see the need for it for me , i Feather The throttle if it starts to slip but i also i need a new clutch.

. RIP

Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Law
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Law smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Does S300 not need the PWM compnents to run bbg?
Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Does S300 not need the PWM compnents to run bbg?
Slip my mind.
https://www.hondata.com/tech-s300-boost-control

He will still need kit. Its like $8. Very easy to install and who ever os switching the ecu from crome to hondata will be able to install ot easy

Edit
Ah they went up on the price, or maybebi was looking on ebay
http://www.hamotorsports.com/pwmboostkit.html

. RIP

Last edited by xile6; 12-24-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Slip my mind.
https://www.hondata.com/tech-s300-boost-control

He will still need kit. Its like $8. Very easy to install and who ever os switching the ecu from crome to hondata will be able to install ot easy

Edit
Ah they went up on the price, or maybebi was looking on ebay
PWM Boost Control Component Kit|HA Motorsports
awesome, thank you for the feedback and info. Other than boost by gear, are there any real benefits from hondata and crome? anything notable as being superior as far as overall tuning software goes?
Old 12-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

New S300 has a lot of features that are pretty bad ass. If you are happy with it how it is now, I would leave it, imho.

#1 coolest thing is traction control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
New S300 has a lot of features that are pretty bad ass. If you are happy with it how it is now, I would leave it, imho.

#1 coolest thing is traction control.
I guess I don't track it enough to make it feel like it would be worth the hassle/money... I guess if the overall tuning aspect is close I might just leave it for now....
Old 12-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Its more of a street thing to me, traction control... very useful with street tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Its more of a street thing to me, traction control... very useful with street tires.
Doesnt it take a long time to setup traction controll?
I heard you gotta do alot of pulls and see how fast the rpms clim then find out what a slip looks like and stuff.
But idk just asking i never messed with TC.
Quote:
awesome, thank you for the feedback and info. Other than boost by gear, are there any real benefits from hondata and crome? anything notable as being superior as far as overall tuning software goes?
If your not lacking now in your setup.
Then you might not gain much.
I can say the idle and close loop might be a bit better, but cant just say it will be a complete night and day.
Your gain bluetooth datalogging tho with the nee hondata and tunerlog app.

. RIP

Last edited by xile6; 12-24-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I appreciate all the input guys... I will table this for the time being and focus on a few other aspects of the car. But this is definitely something to think about for future tuning...
Old 12-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Also try looking into an electronic boost controller like the greddy or Turbosmart eboost. There's always going to have the pros and cons. I have the s300, but still may use the eboost.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enoughjockobo will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

You can do a cheap dual stage boost with a normally open or closed solenoid teed around the boost controller. So when you activate it it'll direct the vacuum hoses to go through or around the boost controller. I use a solenoid I got off of ebay for around 10 bucks.
jockobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Boost By Gear is for Pussies
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Boost By Gear is for Pussies
Been married twice and didnt know pussies had boost or gears!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
Been married twice and didnt know pussies had boost or gears!
lol
Old 12-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockobo View Post
You can do a cheap dual stage boost with a normally open or closed solenoid teed around the boost controller. So when you activate it it'll direct the vacuum hoses to go through or around the boost controller. I use a solenoid I got off of ebay for around 10 bucks.
Do you have any pics of this? Im curious to see how it looks...
Old 12-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Do you have any pics of this? Im curious to see how it looks...
Google "dual stage manual boost controller"
It simply sets up a high low boost setup.

I.e. 10psi on low 15psi on high. Flip a switch to pick what psi you run.

. RIP

Old 12-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Google "dual stage manual boost controller"
It simply sets up a high low boost setup.

I.e. 10psi on low 15psi on high. Flip a switch to pick what psi you run.
Ahhh so leave the boost controller in the first couple gears(without flipping it) then once you get to say 3rd gear, then flip the switch and then your at full boost? Do a lot of people run this? I don't think ive really seen much of this in person...

Last edited by MyblkVTEC; 12-26-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in