Arp head studs - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Arp head studs

Hei all d-series users and preformance!
I have a quesion
About 3 month ago i rebuild d16y8 for turbo
And dony install turbo and arp head studs
In friday i will install the turbo
But the question is:;
Can i install the studs without remove the engine head?,just replace the all bolts and close?( of course with torque)
Jeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Ive done it before, probably isnt recommended though.

I removed one bolt and replaced it with the stud and torqued it down to the first stage, around 15-20lbs or so. Once all the studs were in I tightened them down with the recommended pattern.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Use the steps in the link below when you install them. Too many people do the 15-30-45-60-65-etc multi-steps, which leads to erroneous torque readings & blown head gaskets.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ml#post4483682

Ideally you will put on a new HG, but in most cases it will be fine. If it was a 400whp beast, I'd say change the gasket. In the USA an OEM gasket is under $30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
If it was a 400whp beast, I'd say change the gasket.
^This. If you really want to take shortcuts on things (like installing studs one at a time without removing the head) then be sure your end state can handle it. 250-300 hp street toy? Sure, why not? On the other hand, a serious engine build requires serious prep work. I suppose it all comes down to your goals and what sort of time and effort you are willing to invest.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

You can try to change them out one at a time.

It might work. Worst case scenario, you have to do the head gasket, which you would have to do anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 thompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

People reuse MLS head gaskets all the time. Seems like it would work to me. As Danz say no worse off it does not work.
thompson335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Don't replace the bolts one at a time. Back them off in sequence 1/4 turn at a time so you don't end up warping something. Then re-torque with the new studs in sequence with two stages to spec. Might as well give it a try with the same gasket. I've reused a oem MLS gasket and head bolts before on a NA H22A without problem.
jbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I've done it , engine lasted till the ringlands broke ..probably due to the piston ring gap being too tight.

untorqued them all in sequence but still some tension then one at a time changed the studs

Last edited by robgoof; 11-02-2015 at 07:41 AM.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreaks View Post
Don't replace the bolts one at a time. Back them off in sequence 1/4 turn at a time so you don't end up warping something. Then re-torque with the new studs in sequence with two stages to spec. Might as well give it a try with the same gasket. I've reused a oem MLS gasket and head bolts before on a NA H22A without problem.
Dont follow this advice, your less likely to cause a leak if you do 1 at a time. However, do it when the motor is cold, tq to 20, then 35 until they are all done, then come back and tq to 65. You want that last tq step to be a large jump for accuracy
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Ssme willa say yes others will say no.

I say do it once the right way and be done with it.

Sometimes the HG acts as a crush washer and sometimes it doesnt seal right after being lossen.

I wouldnt trusted it. As saod do it right the first time or do ot twice and get some work in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Send a message via Skype™ to evo_lucian

Order up a gasket and try doing it one bolt at a time. if the gasket ends up leaking then just swap in the new gasket and do the right way. if it doesn't leak then just hold onto the gasket because more often than not you will need it in the near future
Old 11-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

I just did this a month or so ago:
With the engine cold, I loosened up a bit N10 oem bolt, then torqued it to 30Nm(the first step, according to the manual), then N9 and so on, until all bolts were at 30Nm.
Then I completely unbolted N10 bolt, chased the threads, sprayed some brake cleaner, and using a syringe with a piece of thin hose on it I kept changing the brake cleaner, until it came 100% clean. Then I installed the arp stud and using the lube I torqued it to 30Nm. The same happened with bolts N9, 8 and so on. All the bolts were replaced by the studs(and all torqued to 30Nm), one by one, the rest is easy to guess. The engine had no problem lasting 5-6x10 min sessions at the track without blowing the hg and is still running just fine.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

I wouldn't recommend cleaning them while the head is still on, and I'm not sure if I'd recommend chasing the threads unless you know they're messed up.

For cleaning them there's an easier way. Most small hardware stores have narrow pipe cleaning brushes. I got a nylon brush that was ~10" long and 3/8" wide (bristles & twisted wire to hold them). I cut the handle off, mounted it in my hand drill, sprayed cleaner in the holes, then spun the brush counter-clockwise while pulling out. It will get ever bit of grit out. Looks like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Fastenal/814113.html

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
I wouldn't recommend cleaning them while the head is still on, and I'm not sure if I'd recommend chasing the threads unless you know they're messed up.
What is the reason, behind this recommendation?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

I replaced one at a time on my tdi. I did this 12k miles ago and it still runs awesome. I pulled to valve cover after 1k miles to retorque and none of them needed it. LIke said before worst case scenario you have to due a headgasket.

FWIW the tdi is 19.5 to 1 compression and only see's 14-19psi, different animal but same concept.

christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Just do it right and replace the headgasket and head.... better safe than sorry, if not sorry not knowing for sure... You will have no second guessing this way. My 2 cents.
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks Everybody for replay!
learning alot for yours replay!
have a good day!
Jeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Also FWIW Jeka my headgasket had a slow seap and changing them out 1 at a time fixed my problem

christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in