What would you like to see ??? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

RCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Default What would you like to see ???

Feel free to move this thread but I felt like it would get the most views and reply's here.

We're launching a whole how to video section and we'd like to hear the input of fellow d-series.org members.What would you like to see us cover ? What have you always been curious about and would like an answer to ? A product explained, an install or job how to ? Lets hear some ideas, we wanna make the first few videos geared towards you guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCautoworks,
7434 w 90th
Bridgeview, Illinois
( 708 ) 599 5884

Your one stop shop

Specializing in high horse power cars,
Dyno tuning, street tuning, in house fabrication, routine maintenance
RCautoworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Can a rear mount turbo set-up be made to be efficient? Or can a twin turbo v car converted to single carry over the same driving dynamics or will lag(transient response what ever people call it these day) be a necessary evil? I know this has nothing to do with the D but I am curious

christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

RCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top AussieRCautoworks is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_davis View Post
Can a rear mount turbo set-up be made to be efficient? Or can a twin turbo v car converted to single carry over the same driving dynamics or will lag(transient response what ever people call it these day) be a necessary evil? I know this has nothing to do with the D but I am curious
I would ask you to define what you would consider efficient in this type of application .

As for the twin to single discussion, we could open up a whole bag of worms that could turn into a presidential town hall debate.

RCautoworks,
7434 w 90th
Bridgeview, Illinois
( 708 ) 599 5884

Your one stop shop

Old 10-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How about the following:

Proper / recommended way of running oil and coolant lines on D16 turbo setups?
- input / output
- line sizes
- oil restrictor usage

Proper / recommended way of using catch can on boosted applications?
- with / without PCV valve
- atmosphere venting / recirculated

Personally I have seen way too many different approaches when searching for valid information.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I would enjoy a video on tuning in real time. Like dyno tuning
Old 10-29-2015, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Law
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Law smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like Borat

Why EWG placement is so important.
Although it could be costly to produce identical fanimoulds with differemt placements.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Build D16/15 engine blocks, basic how clean is clean, bearing clearances, ring gaps.

Sleeve or not to sleeve, depends on HPP goals

Choosing the right camshaft, valvetrain

proper head stud installs, maybe include time-serts for repairs, use of time-serts for all head studs for x amount hp goals.

Notching blocks for which rods,

Vid on the different build stages of engines you offer

Cylinder head prep, porting, valve prep, valve seats, springs differences from different manufactures.

Car prep for drag vs. road race vs. street

Clutch choices, whats best for the above mentioned.

Just brain storming some ideas here.

I watch a lot of the Real Street Videos on Youtube, learned a bit, but no info for d16/15 force induction.

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

First off, I'm very happy with all the responses and was super excited to jump into this thread this morning hoping people had some good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92CXyD View Post
Build D16/15 engine blocks, basic how clean is clean, bearing clearances, ring gaps.

Sleeve or not to sleeve, depends on HPP goals

Choosing the right camshaft, valvetrain

proper head stud installs, maybe include time-serts for repairs, use of time-serts for all head studs for x amount hp goals.

Notching blocks for which rods,

Vid on the different build stages of engines you offer

Cylinder head prep, porting, valve prep, valve seats, springs differences from different manufactures.

Car prep for drag vs. road race vs. street

Clutch choices, whats best for the above mentioned.

Just brain storming some ideas here.

I watch a lot of the Real Street Videos on Youtube, learned a bit, but no info for d16/15 force induction.
Engine building gets a little complicated for two reasons, we don't want people to listen to our opinions with out doing proper research on specing clearances. A lot of poeple will only read into half of something then put blame on us if something were to fail ect ( well they said this, they said that but in reality you never fully watched all of the video ect...... ) The other reason being is we feel like other companies can use some of this valuable information to gain business, basically the copy cat approach . We don't mind helping others out, we just don't like companies that leech off of others that put in the time and research. Hopefully that makes some sense.

The other stuff we can definitely dip into a little bit more, but we would need to build around some of those topics so the videos weren't to short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
I would enjoy a video on tuning in real time. Like dyno tuning
We could do something like that but we'd wanna keep it really simple though and we would also have to put a disclaimer so people just don't automatically think they can tune the world. We'd also have to dumb it down a little bit just because we wouldn't want companies to act like leeches ( read down more on my explanation on this )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Why EWG placement is so important.
Although it could be costly to produce identical fanimoulds with differemt placements.
We could make a video on this, and also explain why some manifolds suffer more then others, the mini ram being one of those that a lot of people don't think would have boost creep issues but they do, due to how small the collector is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
How about the following:

Proper / recommended way of running oil and coolant lines on D16 turbo setups?
- input / output
- line sizes
- oil restrictor usage

Proper / recommended way of using catch can on boosted applications?
- with / without PCV valve
- atmosphere venting / recirculated

Personally I have seen way too many different approaches when searching for valid information.
Coolant lines, for water cooled turbos ?

We could definetly do a video of different methods in connecting a feed and return line .

Catch can information , we could do something like that. We could explain when a bigger can is needed over a smaller can , we could get into the pcv system ect...

RCautoworks,
7434 w 90th
Bridgeview, Illinois
( 708 ) 599 5884

Your one stop shop

Old 10-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Maybe you could discuss cam timing for head swaps on D series engines. You could also demonstrate how to degree a camshaft. Maybe that video could also discuss how to make more power through adjusting cam timing or how to effectively shift the power band throughout the RPM range through cam timing adjustments.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

someone beat me to it with the oil lines for the turbo.
how about plumbing the vacuum lines for the blow off and wastegate, or boost controller.

or oil cooler lines/relocation of filter
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCautoworks View Post
I would ask you to define what you would consider efficient in this type of application .

As for the twin to single discussion, we could open up a whole bag of worms that could turn into a presidential town hall debate.
Sorry for my vagueness I was referring to efficiency of the turbo system itself not the mpg's of the car. Is it possible to retain good turbo response with remote mounted turbo's

christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

D series engine building, complete tuning video from beginning to end with good explanation of the fuel tables, advance timing, etc..
10SECBUILD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Law
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Law smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like Borat

Quote:

We could make a video on this, and also explain why some manifolds suffer more then others, the mini ram being one of those that a lot of people don't think would have boost creep issues but they do, due to how small the collector is.

What about on manis in general then?
Cast vs log vs mini ramhorn vs equal length and the assosiated wastegate.

A back to back dyno session with each mani would be ace. Showing the graph of each too.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
someone beat me to it with the oil lines for the turbo.
how about plumbing the vacuum lines for the blow off and wastegate, or boost controller.

or oil cooler lines/relocation of filter
This is simple enough, we could do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_hauled View Post
Maybe you could discuss cam timing for head swaps on D series engines. You could also demonstrate how to degree a camshaft. Maybe that video could also discuss how to make more power through adjusting cam timing or how to effectively shift the power band throughout the RPM range through cam timing adjustments.
We would prefer to have a mini me setup here to discuss that, we could go into detail on how power is made by adjusting the cams but on a single cam its not something that is really done anymore because of the time it takes, and the power you gain. Time is money to most people, so unless we're doing a really wild N/A build , or a higher horsepower build, cam gears usually aren't messed with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_davis View Post
Sorry for my vagueness I was referring to efficiency of the turbo system itself not the mpg's of the car. Is it possible to retain good turbo response with remote mounted turbo's
Got ya, I myself believe so. Well lets just say, as good as response as you're going to get in a remote system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SECBUILD View Post
D series engine building, complete tuning video from beginning to end with good explanation of the fuel tables, advance timing, etc..
This really sounds like a guide to help people not more so understand tuning but to do it themselves. It almost falls in the line of having "another" shop watch it, take notes and learn to tune off of us. We have no issue though explaining the basics of a dyno tune, as I think this information would be great for a lot of people that don't have an idea what happens during a tune. We get phone calls every day where we have to explain what exactly happens during a dyno tune, so I'd be willing to make a video going into details about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
What about on manis in general then?
Cast vs log vs mini ramhorn vs equal length and the assosiated wastegate.

A back to back dyno session with each mani would be ace. Showing the graph of each too.
We would really need a guinea pig for that.

RCautoworks,
7434 w 90th
Bridgeview, Illinois
( 708 ) 599 5884

Your one stop shop

Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
This is simple enough, we could do that.

We would prefer to have a mini me setup here to discuss that, we could go into detail on how power is made by adjusting the cams but on a single cam its not something that is really done anymore because of the time it takes, and the power you gain. Time is money to most people, so unless we're doing a really wild N/A build , or a higher horsepower build, cam gears usually aren't messed with.

Got ya, I myself believe so. Well lets just say, as good as response as you're going to get in a remote system.

This really sounds like a guide to help people not more so understand tuning but to do it themselves. It almost falls in the line of having "another" shop watch it, take notes and learn to tune off of us. We have no issue though explaining the basics of a dyno tune, as I think this information would be great for a lot of people that don't have an idea what happens during a tune. We get phone calls every day where we have to explain what exactly happens during a dyno tune, so I'd be willing to make a video going into details about that.

We would really need a guinea pig for that.
What about some sort of vip video access so that only daily users of dso could watch the dyno tuning video,that way it can't be easily viewed by any tuner? I know alot of people could really benefit from this. I know I don't have money and really don't want to pay for another dyno tune after the last tuner I had do my car but I'm almost forced to because of the issues I can't figure out, only problem with this would be having to show all tuning programs ie: crome,neptune,hondata,ectune.

Maybe you could go more into detail only on the things like ect and iat tables and ignition, crome has a pretty decent guide but some of the things are vague on whether only one sensor is used or multiple sensors are used.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger

Last edited by Blu3; 10-29-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
What about some sort of vip video access so that only daily users of dso could watch the dyno tuning video,that way it can't be easily viewed by any tuner? I know alot of people could really benefit from this. I know I don't have money and really don't want to pay for another dyno tune after the last tuner I had do my car but I'm almost forced to because of the issues I can't figure out, only problem with this would be having to show all tuning programs ie: crome,neptune,hondata,ectune.

Maybe you could go more into detail only on the things like ect and iat tables and ignition, crome has a pretty decent guide but some of the things are vague on whether only one sensor is used or multiple sensors are used.
I think you just proved his point. I have spent thousands of hours and 10 years learning the tuning business. I don't mind sharing the basics and even timing numbers as its not a art form, it a science. However, to ask someone to go in detail a step by step instruction guide is a little too much, that's what we get paid to do. There are too many variables and different setups to cover. A basic guide of what to expect and in general what we do is one thing, but the ins and outs of programming is a different story.
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post

We under stand your frustration and that is one of the main reasons why we started to sell our blocks world wide, not everyone in the world has a shop like us around them.

I see where you're going with the vip and payed subscription deal but if another shop thought it was going to be something worth viewing, whats $20 to them or what ever we decide to have it sell for.

We're all about going into the basics though, don't get me wrong on that. I will tell you though, the only program we'd be willing to do this on that would be the least expensive would be neptune. Chrome just has so many issues ( buggy ) and its one of the reasons we'll no longer tune on it.

There's just a fine line of serving people with knowledge and them using it to help themselves, or serving them with knowledge and have them think they're a professional tuner and street tuning everyone in their neighbor hood and cutting the throats of professional shops.

RCautoworks,
7434 w 90th
Bridgeview, Illinois
( 708 ) 599 5884

Your one stop shop

Last edited by RCautoworks; 10-29-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheworld0 View Post
I think you just proved his point. I have spent thousands of hours and 10 years learning the tuning business. I don't mind sharing the basics and even timing numbers as its not a art form, it a science. However, to ask someone to go in detail a step by step instruction guide is a little too much, that's what we get paid to do. There are too many variables and different setups to cover. A basic guide of what to expect and in general what we do is one thing, but the ins and outs of programming is a different story.
Very well put, thank you.

When someone breaks down the price of a dyno tune you have to remember you're not only paying for the knowledge of that tuner ( and time ) , but take the other factors into considerations that we have to pay yearly, such as maintenance on the dyno, schooling that might be needed, equipment such as straps, fans, 02 sensors, ( clean up when cars pop a radiator line or leak oil ) and the overall price the dyno itself cost.

The one question that we get asked a lot when people call in for a tune, well how many pulls do you make. It doesn't work like that, we do as many pulls is needed to get the car exactly where its suppose to be. We don't rush, we don't kick stuff out if we're closing in 30 minutes, we stay late and still always charge the same amount.

RCautoworks,
7434 w 90th
Bridgeview, Illinois
( 708 ) 599 5884

Your one stop shop

Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

I get what you are saying, but I don't understand why most tuners are so secretive or dont like sharing knowledge about tuning. Why can't I know what you know, just because I see a complete video on how to tune does not make me a master tuner. I do not own a dyno myself. I would like to know just to be able to troubleshoot any tuning problems that may occur later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheworld0 View Post
10SECBUILD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Id love to see before and after dyno comparisons of anything and everything.

With how big the Honda community is, this kind of info is pretty lacking. There are lots of dynos for all sorts of parts and setups, but without anything to compare them to they are useless.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in