Is anyone running an Eaton M62 supercharger? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2015, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Is anyone running an Eaton M62 supercharger?

So browsing around it appears that there is a M62 upgrade for our D series superchargers (originally M45). Is anyone running it with success? I'm contemplating this with the water cooled system once I get back from my next deployment. Because of how I'm tuning my car I have no intentions of exceeding 10 psi but I'm thinking a larger compressor may help me get more psi at lower rpms.
popejbryant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by popejbryant View Post
So browsing around it appears that there is a M62 upgrade for our D series superchargers (originally M45). Is anyone running it with success? I'm contemplating this with the water cooled system once I get back from my next deployment. Because of how I'm tuning my car I have no intentions of exceeding 10 psi but I'm thinking a larger compressor may help me get more psi at lower rpms.
I went to a larger 84cid Roots blower for mine.

If you search hard enough there was a M90 kit made for the D16.

PSI is not what you be looking at, total mass of air the engine is ingesting is where it is at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Not me but there are a couple that were installed around here, one I think with a turbo. Might have been a JRSC though.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...r-project.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

There's no M62 upgrade and you'll be lucky to find the CCW M62 from the GSR JRSC...and if you do, you'll spend a fortune on it.

There's no other CCW M62 that I know of from a production vehicle or that you can buy AFAIK...so you're stuck with doing some custom work to spin the rotor pack/snout on a clockwise rotating M62 from a GM vehicle. It's lot of work but Rabid was able to do it on his twincharge build with success.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Magnuson makes a ccw m62. Retails around 1200
Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Can be ordered through Moss motors eBay page
Old 11-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Had forgotten that the M62 was used on the prelude kit was well. Either way, it's just like I said...expensive.

And to be clear, this is not an upgrade for the D series kits...it won't bolt to the D-series manifold nor will the B series manifold bolt to a D series head.

http://www.capa.com.au/eaton_m45data.htm

http://www.capa.com.au/eaton_m62data.htm

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 11-02-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Had forgotten that the M62 was used on the prelude kit was well. Either way, it's just like I said...expensive.

And to be clear, this is not an upgrade for the D series kits...it won't bolt to the D-series manifold nor will the B series manifold bolt to a D series head.

CAPA : Eaton Superchargers

Hmmm... that's only 1.5 inches of bolt hole difference. I bet I could design an adapter very easily and send it out to be milled. Hell, I could even 3dprint a prototype to ensure it fits ahead of time. This would obviously lower the blower by .5-1 inch. Any issues with that? Any other issues to consider? Do they spin the same way?

Edit: anybody interested, hit me up. I'd donate the R&D time free just to see a cool S/C build.

Last edited by d-serious; 11-02-2015 at 10:16 AM.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92CXyD View Post
I went to a larger 84cid Roots blower for mine.

If you search hard enough there was a M90 kit made for the D16.

PSI is not what you be looking at, total mass of air the engine is ingesting is where it is at.
Link to M90? I can't find any information to suggest they were offered in counter-rotating. Which way does the GPX/Grand Prix M90 turn; that'd be a hell of a S/C to use as a donor/build an adapter for, as they are only $250 all day long.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

It was never offereed CCW, you have to flip the rotation yourself via modification.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick75 View Post
It was never offereed CCW, you have to flip the rotation yourself via modification.

"The M90 is available for counter rotating engines (2 Piece Drive)."

But I'm assuming sourcing one is difficult and defeats the price point purpose of using a GM unit.

What do you think of running a shaft under the blower, gear driving it on the left side (SC pulley side), and having a pulley on the right? A "jackshaft".

(http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/blower-drive4.htm)

"This not only gives greater latitude in sprocket or pulley choices, but allows the driven end of the supercharger to be laterally opposite the engine component driving it. This also reverses the supercharger rotation, which is very helpful in many cases where the original application has the supercharger turning clockwise, such as most Eatons."

Last edited by d-serious; 11-02-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

Actually all you'd need to do to reverse the drive is A) flip the drive housing, B) machine the other gear for 3 dowels to handle the coupler (gears are otherwise identical), C) cut a 1/16" intermediate plate to place between the bearing plate and drive housing to make up for differences in the flange. The alignment dowels for the housings are aligned with the rotor centerlines. Most people weld up the housings to account for the flange differences, then flip the gears (which requires timing them properly, which is nearly impossible). It's not impossible, it's just not EASY.

I did half of that when I repaired a B-series M62 JRSC. I took a CW M62 from a GM 3800 motor, drilled the holes & added the dowels to the other gear, the bolted in into the JRSC rotor housing & CCW drive housing. No whining, no broken drive coupler.

The other option is to just find a cheap partial B-series kit & combine it with a d-series manifold flange. It's already CCW compatible. But honestly you'd be better off running the M45 w/cooling. I've seen a few people with aftercoolers and the motor limits you more than the blower at that point (cam options & displacement). 200-220whp is possible if you keep the air cooled, regardless of it being an M45 or M62. Blowers do NOT scale well like turbochargers, they still need [motor] displacement.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I didn't realize the bolt patterns for the m45 and m62 were different. According to the guy I talked to at Moss, they were the same. All in all, I'll worry about getting the LHT cooler before anything else.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

It surprises me some of you guys consider these for our engines. I understand the lower potential cost factor. But when you look at the whole picture, its just not worth the hassle for such small power outcomes. If you are planning on any boost.... turbo should be the end option.
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Here we go again...
Old 11-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblkVTEC View Post
It surprises me some of you guys consider these for our engines. I understand the lower potential cost factor. But when you look at the whole picture, its just not worth the hassle for such small power outcomes. If you are planning on any boost.... turbo should be the end option.
IMO, they're only interesting if being used as a twincharge setup.

otherwise they're not a great option since they do cap out so early at 220ish whp
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Parts for these (Gen 3) blowers are NLA from Eaton and Magnuson doesn't have much of any.

SlipAngle Podcast ep. 28 and 29....good history listen/lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popejbryant View Post
I didn't realize the bolt patterns for the m45 and m62 were different. According to the guy I talked to at Moss, they were the same. All in all, I'll worry about getting the LHT cooler before anything else.
What if the adapter plate could also serve as a cooler interface? Perhaps run coils through it with an inlet and outlet to be plumbed inline for engine coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Parts for these (Gen 3) blowers are NLA from Eaton and Magnuson doesn't have much of any.

SlipAngle Podcast ep. 28 and 29....good history listen/lesson

The ONLY appeal to even revisiting this topic is because the m62s and m90s off the GM cars can be had for PEANUTS used. The entire blowers sell for 200-300. If we can figure out a cheap adapter plate that switches up the bolt pattern or perhaps even one that has bearing recessions to run a jackshaft through it for a couple hundred. We're looking at a very attainable $500 upgrade. Who cares about serviceability? At that price you can call it a 'wear item'.

Here is my super duper super rough dimensionally-inaccurate idea. Poke holes in it and tell me I'm retarded.

Last edited by d-serious; 11-03-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

There's not enough room on a majority of D-series JRSC setups to accommodate any kind of an adapter plate. It's a TIGHT fit between the bottom of the supercharger and the alternator post as it is. I've torn two alternator post boots and even grounded the alternator out to the body of the supercharger.

Some alternators, believe the mitsubishi style, let loosen the post and more it 90 degrees but even then I doubt you'd gain much clearance.

You'd need to fabricate a customer lower alternator bracket, which I had done for my setup, to lower the alternator down. Even then, I think you'd have a hard time fitting more than a 1/4" adapter plate.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 11-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Clearance definitely is an issue. Especially against the alternator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in