A few issues my D16Y8 Turbo is having - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 mutantgun has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default A few issues my D16Y8 Turbo is having

First off I know its somewhat normal for turbo cars to backfire a little bit however when I am at WOT my car is now backfiring EVERY TIME I SHIFT!

Is this something to be concerned about? I read this can be a symptom of the car running lean which is very possible considering I have no gauges hooked up and I have no idea how the chipped ECU is tuned.

Please give me some insight this is my first turbo car I have owned and I prefer not to blow it up if i can help it lol.

I do still need a BOV and I need to get the car tuned very badly and I realize that these things are very important.

I just want to make sure its not do to a larger issue I can not see or whatever due to the fact of not having the thing tuned and gauges and so forth.

I guess my point behind the thread is this:

Can something else be causing this to happen besides not knowing how the ECU is tuned?

P.S. I posted this in the noob section but no one is really acknowledging my actual question so I thought I would have more success here. We will see.
mutantgun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

i cant really tell you if yours is safe or not but i got my d16y5 dyno tuned and made 166hp, after the dyno my car always backfired between shifts and sometimes after decel but i never had issues in 2 years of owning the car turboed

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
are you sure its backfiring and not the wastegate opening to bleed off the exhaust when you close the throttle. you know, like its supposed to do?

also, best way to grenade a motor is to start doing wot pulls with an unknown tune with unknown afrs, boost, timing, injectors, ect ect.

park the car until youre ready to buy proper gauges and a proper tune.

Quote:
I just told you, could be fuel cut or ignition cut IN THE TUNE.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
are you sure its backfiring and not the wastegate opening to bleed off the exhaust when you close the throttle. you know, like its supposed to do?
i dont believe wastegates open when you lift off the throttle, or at least they are not normally connected to vacuum which i think would cause it to open when you let off. slo are you confusing a bov with a wastegate?

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 10-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
i dont believe wastegates open when you lift off the throttle, or at least they are not normally connected to vacuum which i think would cause it to open when you let off. slo are you confusing a bov with a wastegate?
sounds like it. in my mind, I know what Im saying, typing it out just didn't come out right. bov bleeds boost, wastegate bleeds exhaust. potato tomato.

but before op gets uppity and makes another thread asking again, you think it could be fuel cut/boost cut/ignition.

hes flying blind, but logic wont allow him to stop beating on it till he has proper tuning and ability to see what the car is saying.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Well that at least gives me a little more ease since you shared that blue.

I haven't been driving the car every night but when I have free time it is very hard not to take it out.

It's a lot of fun to drive even with it not tuned ect...

By the way I hope I make alot more than 166whp. My goal is to be somewhere between 250-270whp on stock internals if the motor can handle it. I'm ganna push the motor I just don't want to break it from having a faulty tune or something just plain stupid.

I have a boost gauge and AFR gauge but thats all I got right now. I plan on buying a wideband UEGO 4.9 sensor/gauge later on but right now my main focus is this:

1). Buy at least 1 brand new tire front right because tread/metal/rubber/wire is missing from it

2). Buy a BOV something decent that releases fast and doesn't leak.

3). Get all the hoses tighten up, especially the oil return line its causing some blow by.

4). Hook up the Viper Alarm System I bought which retails at $600 and I got for $150 used and comes with remote start.

5). Get the car tuned with the already chipped ECU that I have.

6). Start buying engine internals all forged ect.... for my 350whp build

After all that is done I will be happy I just hope to keep the car together in the mean time.

Also on a side note I am still having issues with rough idle and fuel cut seems to be at cruising speeds and idle ect... It's idling around 1500-2000 rpms which I know isn't normal. I have checked the idler and thats not the issue...

any ideas on this?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantgun View Post
My goal is to be somewhere between 250-270whp on stock internals if the motor can handle it. I'm ganna push the motor I just don't want to break it from having a faulty tune or something just plain stupid.
well a crappy tune is usually how you blow the motor up whether its stock internals or not, i have seen a few 300hp stock block builds but 250-70 is probably max i would ever try. the 166/149 i made was on my d16y5, im now running a d16y8 in a different car and made 222whp 177tq on a different dyno with a different tuner also.

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Those are not bad numbers at all thats like double the horsepower the car comes with. thats nice!

Out of curiosity how come you didn't push for more power? like at least for 250?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

i really just wanted it to be close to the number everyone says is good which is 220, some say 250 is good to but im glad i didnt push for more as the last tuner i had tune my car did a shit job. car is my dd and i dont want it to blow up when im 500 miles away from home

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 10-20-2015, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Ok very good point
Old 10-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

we need video of the back fire to really know whats going on.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
we need video of the back fire to really know whats going on.
He shouldn'tget a video, he needs to park the car until it's tuned. It's just asking to be blown up, if it's not already.
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 05:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I didnt know d16y8 made turbos. i thought it was an engine build by honda for obd2 civics. not a turbo manufacture...... or are you having problems with your turboed d16y8 motor?

Last edited by Evanguy; 10-20-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
and I need to get the car tuned very badly and I realize that these things are very important.
That's like saying you should feed your newborn child sometime this week, cause you know it's important. Chances are your awesome basemap is completely off (98% of them invariably are) & rich as fuck, so when you let off it's still dumping a shitload of fuel. That burns so slowly or partially misfires, then ends up burning as it enters the exhaust for a backfire. It's also incredibly hard on your turbo, far harder than not having a BOV.

Quote:
and AFR gauge but thats all I got right now. I plan on buying a wideband UEGO 4.9 sensor/gauge later on but right now my main focus is this:

1). Buy at least 1 brand new tire front right because tread/metal/rubber/wire is missing from it

2). Buy at least 1 brand new tire front right because tread/metal/rubber/wire is missing from it

3). Buy at least 1 brand new tire front right because tread/metal/rubber/wire is missing from it

4) fix the idle issue

5) GET A FUCKING TUNE!

6). Get all the hoses tighten up, especially the oil return line its causing some blow by.

7) Get a wideband

. Hook up the Viper Alarm System I bought which retails at $600 and I got for $150 used and comes with remote start.

9). Buy a BOV something decent that releases fast and doesn't leak.

10). Start buying engine internals all forged ect.... for my 350whp build

After all that is done I will be happy I just hope to keep the car together in the mean time.

Also on a side note I am still having issues with rough idle and fuel cut seems to be at cruising speeds and idle ect... It's idling around 1500-2000 rpms which I know isn't normal. I have checked the idler and thats not the issue...

any ideas on this?
I re-ordered your checklist. First off you shouldn't be driving a boosted car on cords, jesus christ man. Second, a BOV is far less important in the short term than the vast majority of that list. That's like spending all your money on a baby's diapers but letting it die from malnutrition. As far as your AFR's go, that's less important than a tune UNLESS you drag your feet & don't get it tuned ASAP. That AFR gauge will do jack for you if it's still reading the original narrowband, as it only has an effective range of 13.7-15.7:1.

The idle issue is probably the same thing that causes 99% of other Honda idle issues - a horrible vac leak. If you plug the IACV & FITV holes in the t-body and it idles above 700 RPM, you have a leak. If you can't find it yourself, get it to an experienced Honda mechanic & they'll find it in a minute.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Ok you have made your point. I called central florida tuning and they said they would tune my car on the dyno for $350.00. He also said I should get a set of 550cc injectors.

I ganna try to go on thursday and take it down there. I live 3 hours away though. But I heard they are the best in florida
Old 10-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Ok you have made your point. I called central florida tuning and they said they would tune my car on the dyno for $350.00. He also said I should get a set of 550cc injectors.

I ganna try to go on thursday and take it down there. I live 3 hours away though. But I heard they are the best in florida
Yes, please tune your car asap.
Also a bov is nice to have on a DD car.
Till then try not to drive the car as much and really dont get on it at all.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Wastegate opens to bleed the exhaust at closed throttle? that's a good one.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post
Wastegate opens to bleed the exhaust at closed throttle? that's a good one.
glad you enjoyed, tried real hard.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Yes yes very amusing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in