Bearing failure - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Bearing failure

So I have been tuning this car and everything was great. Went out today to tune some more, and less than a block away I heard it knocking. No loads were even put on the engine, it warmed up for 10 mins in my driveway before leaving. I brought it back, dropped the pan and found the # 2 bearing was eaten. Crank is fine, haven't pulled the rest yet. I think this is due to oiling issues, but I want some opinions. I took pics of the mains as well. Motor has less than 1000 miles on it.

Z6 p2p0 rods vitara pistons, oem mains, acl race rod bearings

atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 04:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

what clearances were used on the bearings?

what do the plugs look like .

timing map

boost level
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 04:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

I didn't build the engine, I don't know, I'm just the tuner. I'm pretty conservative on timing. I think I'm at 17 @ 8.5 psi. Plugs look fine, they are gapped at .030 when it started cutting out up top. 93 octane gas. Turbo is a turbonetics 5755

Old 10-19-2015, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

What weight oil was used?

Was the crank ground undersized, or just polished?

Looks like the mains have a bit of taper to the journal, or the crank could be slightly bent.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Standard size crank. 10/30 oil
Old 10-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

Do you see guys?

z6 engine bearings also go wrong not only y8 fails

this is second motor z6 failure like in 30 days period on the forum
Michael99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael99 View Post
Do you see guys?

z6 engine bearings also go wrong not only y8 fails

this is second motor z6 failure like in 30 days period on the forum
What is your point? If your oil pump fails on a y8 or z6, I'm sure the carnage would be the same. My whole question here is not that it failed, but why. I see no signs of detonation and if you look at the side view of my bearings, you can see they were not smashed which is common with knock. I want other to confirm if this looks like poor oiling.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

that's pretty conservative timing for the lowered compression - I ran 19 degrees at 10 psi on my bone stock Z6 on 93 with no issues
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Yeah seem conservative has to be the something else. I ran 17 degrees at 20psi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtec8k View Post
Yeah seem conservative has to be the something else. I ran 17 degrees at 20psi
What fuel?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheworld0 View Post
What fuel?
E85 now.. I've run 21 degrees at 20psi before on pump believe it or not, it eventually spun a bearing but it worked. I'm thinking maybe the clearance was tight on your motor

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

yeah, it's possible the OE bearings were wacky sizes for wacky journals and the ACL races didn't give enough clearance on that journal
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
yeah, it's possible the OE bearings were wacky sizes for wacky journals and the ACL races didn't give enough clearance on that journal
If you look close enough at all the mains, it looks like the coating is almost gone on some of them. I have a ls motor torn down that has 200k on it and that coating is still there
Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Here's a story of what I went through that perhaps can be given to the vehicle's owner for some insight on what to do from here. I too had a Z6 spin a #4 rod bearing on <1k mileage motor. I was meticulous with the install AND the parts used. Factory matching OE crank to block with ACL standard bearings with a .002 oil bearing clearance all-around. Ended up re-using the same block, but used one of four different Z6 cranks I had sitting around at the time. Used the one that looked the best and had the least amount of the rear main seal groove wear on it. THIS TIME AROUND I had my machinist polish the journals AND I used King bearings this time...still standard size with a .002 oil bearing clearance all-around. Reassembled with the same steps, procedures, and care used on the first build. Block was perfect, and netted me 400whp on the dyno that same year without a hint of knock or even oil burning.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So are you assuming you had crank issues the first time? If everything measured correctly how can you blame it on the crank?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

my point was on next thing -

many guys telling it not worth to turbo y8 engines because very ofter spun bearing happens concern on many engines fails after 150 miles

and many guys telling the Z6 cranks only the right way to go.

I'm just told that here is another your Z6 with spun bearings.

In my personal opinion there is no difference between both just need to check all clearances and relapse the bearings and pay attention to oil pump, specially If rich high mileage or planing to go turbo way.

sorry for my English!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

what you planing to do next?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

Any info for the oil pump - stock, stock new, ported? Did you measure the oil pump's clearances?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
my point was on next thing -

many guys telling it not worth to turbo y8 engines because very ofter spun bearing happens concern on many engines fails after 150 miles

and many guys telling the Z6 cranks only the right way to go.

I'm just told that here is another your Z6 with spun bearings.

In my personal opinion there is no difference between both just need to check all clearances and relapse the bearings and pay attention to oil pump, specially If rich high mileage or planing to go turbo way.

sorry for my English!
There is a difference. This bearing did not spin, it was safely secured in the rod, and there is 0 heat makes on the rods. People tend to assume rod knock always means spun bearings and that is a common misconception. If not shut down soon enough, rod know leads to spun bearings. Most bearings when a failure from detonation first start as a smashed bearing, creating a large gap, and if shut down, can easily be swapped out by just dropping the oil pan.

Z6 cranks are better than y8, peroid. Besides that, the motors are the same imo. You can boost a y8 crank safely, it's just not as good as a z6.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
what you planing to do next?
Crank is fine, new bearings were ordered and on their way. Oil pressure seems low to me, however owner states it was that way with another motor as well and he believes there is a kink in the line. Oil pump was ported. My hope is to find another oil pump and swap it out. Also, the car will not leave my garage again under its own power until I ensure it had adequate oil pressure. I'm replacing the pressure line so that can't be a factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in