How often do you readjust spark plugs? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default How often do you readjust spark plugs?

I have been readjusting my spark plugs this year already few times at around every 1000km. Actually never heard of anyone doing so often. Is that something common they tend to reach back original gap after this amount of km?

I am running boosted z6 with bkr7e gapped at .025
E85 and Crane Hi6 ignition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Why so tight? How much power are you making?
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Might have something to do with the ignition box. You could try iridiums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody

I am at ~350hp with low cam lobes right now. So tight because I had problems blowing off spark before.

FarmerD, that's what came into my mind too. Regarding trying different plug, I could give a try next season. These CD ignition boxes can be pain in the @ss with small amount of info available about specific differences they have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

The last thing you want to do it put iridium plugs in there. A quick Google search will tell you why. A good silver plug or copper is the way to go. This hatch I'm tuning right now I'm guessing is close to 300 and I'm at .030 on the gap and it seems to be fine. There was issue at .036 so I tighten it up
Old 10-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 masterl1nk is learning the way of the Dmasterl1nk is learning the way of the D

Last time I regapped my spark plugs (Iridiums) was because I had a lot of misfires on boost, then I realized my ICM was dying.

Regapping spark plugs will reduce misfires, but that is not a real 100% solution, at least IMO. I'm using 0.036-0.040 gap on turbo engines (D and B series, some Suzuki G13 engines too).
masterl1nk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Are you saying the gap's opening out? It shouldn't do, not in 1000km.

A long shot I know, but is there any sign of electrode burning?

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yes, the gap's opening out! That's why I posted, because it didn't seem to me right. No signs of electrode burning, it's just opening out.

I sent e-mail regarding this to Crane Cams to see what they have to say about this.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Curious.
Do let us know what you find out!

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Is the Crane box a digital or analog box?

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Crane Hi-6 is a digital box

Old 10-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheworld0 View Post
The last thing you want to do it put iridium plugs in there. A quick Google search will tell you why.
Care to elaborate?

I would also suggest a copper plug (silver? You run Bosch plugs? yikes ) but with his ignition box there is a good chance enhanced electrical erosion is occurring from the spark jumping the air gap. The hardened tip of the Iridium plug will resist that erosion better.

How is running the same plug going to help him not have to adjust his gap every 1000km?
Quote:

Last edited by FarmerD; 10-24-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

A company named Brisk makes silver plugs, they tend to make more power because silver is the best electrical and thermal conductor of all metals. Copper is mainly used since it's much cheaper about $2.50lb vs $256lb for "paper" silver (which is cheap for silver since there's a shortage in 1-10oz retail products currently). Brisk has claimed their silver plugs made 18whp gains in V8's over copper plugs...me I'll stick with copper since it's cheap and has worked well for decades.
I would only use iridium plugs in a car if i don't feel like changing them ever again since they last longer. Plus iridium is a terrible conductor of electricity.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

^^^ this. Iridium also holds heat in longer and is prone to detonation. Sliver and copper dissipate the heat the fastest, so with a boosted motor they are the least likely to be a source of detonation. There are a few companies who make silver plugs but they are pricey.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Classic Man

The iridium is laser welded to just the tip, and it takes less energy to fire an Iridium plug vs a copper. Just saying.
Quote:
Old 10-25-2015, 01:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Crane tech support still haven't responded to my e-mail. Still waiting...
"Funny" thing is there are no signs of ignition systems left on their website. No products, no tech data, nothing whatsoever.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Crane tech support still haven't responded to my e-mail. Still waiting...
"Funny" thing is there are no signs of ignition systems left on their website. No products, no tech data, nothing whatsoever.

Crane Cams | High performance multiple-spark CD ignition for racing or street

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

all_rice, Google hacker?

Old 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
all_rice, Google hacker?
Ninja skills lmao!! I was just looking it up the other day because I bought the crane box and coil at the swap meet for $40.00 brand new!!

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Back to report! Crane customer service didn't sound very helpful to me.

They said I might be running lean, which I am not unless my AFR gauge lies.
They suggested to retune after ignition install, because that would be my problem. But it doesn't make sense, because my AFR is in the same range as with stock ignition.
They suggested to check distributor rotor phasing. Right now I can not check it because I have taken my engine apart. Worth to check ofcourse, but why in the world it would be different than stock.

Unless I haven't checked phasing I can not comment on this much, but they didn't want to respond why Crane ignition units are discontiniued

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in