Popping sound in upper rpm's? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Popping sound in upper rpm's?

So under hard acceleration I noticed today I hear a popping sound. Like 2 or 3 pops almost like a misfire. It doesnt sound like detonation. My plugs are gapped at .022 and my air fuel is right around 11.2 with 10 degrees ign advance on e85 d16y8 21psi boost from a garrett 57 trim, log manifold, stock head. What do you guys think?

Last edited by dj_justice; 09-11-2015 at 05:00 AM.
dj_justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Sounds like the spark is being blown out. There are hundreds of people on here that would know more than I.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Temporarily turn down boost and/or reduce gap to 0.018", see what it does. If you have very minor misfire, that fuel will be burnt explosively as it enters the hot manifold & turbine or when another exhaust valve opens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I was thinking the AFR sounded rich and it could be lighting off excess fuel post combustion chamber. You can definitely try and lean it out some. What wideband are you using?

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Freemananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 03:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I was thinking the AFR sounded rich and it could be lighting off excess fuel post combustion chamber. You can definitely try and lean it out some. What wideband are you using?
Im using an Innovate LC1 wideband
Old 09-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

On the edge of the tune if all else is good.

That's when shit gets fucked up. Small steps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
Im using an Innovate LC1 wideband
Make sure you're calibrating it regularly. I like to wipe off the tip of the sensor with a lint free cloth with some rubbing alcohol as well, just man sure nothing gets into the sensor body

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ok I am going to upload the tune from the tuner before I messed with it, check plug gap and do more datalogs. I pulled the plugs yesterday and cylinder 3 looked like it had a bunch of soot on the plug. Ill clean it up and see whats going on.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

What plugs are you running? I'm sure they are the right temperature, but you never know.

I'd click your sig and check out your build, but I can't yet... haha

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

I leaned it out to around 11.7 and it stopped missing so I guess it was too rich
Old 09-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Make sure you're calibrating it regularly. I like to wipe off the tip of the sensor with a lint free cloth with some rubbing alcohol as well, just man sure nothing gets into the sensor body
LOL this sounds too much like a personal hygene recommendation, if you didn't know he was talking about an O2 sensor..

OP I have the same wideband, I would think 11 AFR is too rich, leaves extra fuel that could ignite as it enters the manifold. What plugs do you have/gapped.. I think the best would be NGK BKR7E

If ANYTHING maybe running 10 degree is firing the spark too late, therefore not ALL the fuel is being burnt and then it pops as it enters the hot exhaust manifold -- see below.. SO you could keep it at 11, but advance the timing a bit and see if it helps.. my .02.

Wikipedia Quote:

"Backfiring in internal combustion engines occurs outside of the combustion chamber, and is typically the result of an improper air to fuel ratio. An overly lean air-fuel mixture (i.e. an overabundance of air) can lead to a failure to ignite in the combustion chamber, also called a "misfire". The unburnt fuel then enters the exhaust system, where hot components can cause the fuel to ignite unpredictably. Alternatively, rich air-fuel mixtures (i.e. an overabundance of fuel) can result in incomplete combustion, again causing unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust system."

Last edited by mdrouillard1983; 09-11-2015 at 08:32 AM.
mdrouillard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
I leaned it out to around 11.7 and it stopped missing so I guess it was too rich
Sweet! You may notice some more power by leaning it out. Hard to tell without a dyno though. There are some dyno programs that work with logging software. They may be able to show you some improvements with a more lean ratio. The richness should just be there to eliminate detonation.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

E85 doesn't need to be run that rich. Turbo motors are run rich to aid in cooling the air charge, but E85 had massive amounts of cooling to begin with. 11.5:1 is on the verge of too rich even for pump gas. Combine that with conservative timing and it will be very hard to fire the plug.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
11.5:1 is on the verge of too rich.
I was under the impression 12:1 was pretty standard, but it has been awhile since I delved in turbo tuning.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Old 09-12-2015, 04:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

I was doing some pulls last night and the popping came back. Seems to only do it around 7k. The datalog shows it leaning out when its doing it to around 13. If the spark was blowing out would that show up as leaner or richer afr's? I turned the boost down 2 psi and it seemed to stop.

Another issue I have is my EBC is overshooting my target boost. If I type 18 for target boost say in 3rd gear, I get around 20 at 6k rpm.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Is it spiking to 20, or creeping from 18 to 20?
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Its creeping up there
Old 09-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to siregcivic

what engine management are you using? post up your map and a 3rd gear datalog ill try to help you out

SOBER TILL ITS OVER

Quote:
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Creep is insufficient wastegate flow, nothing boost control can solve
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Gap your plugs down and add the fuel back into the map.

May even need a new coil or new plugs, wires, cap rotor, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in