68mm throttle body? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Blackrex is learning the way of the DBlackrex is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 68mm throttle body?

Guys can anyone recommend a good aftermarket throttle body. I am running a jrsc and had my stube ported and polished by Mr. Grimm, he recommended a bigger one. Although the tube from the throttle body to the charger is still going to choke it somewhat. I plan on getting another one fabricated up in the future.

thanks
Blackrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

60mm stock vtec B series.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Blackrex is learning the way of the DBlackrex is learning the way of the D

I was thinking of something bigger, more like 68mm. I could have mine bored out to 60mm.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

How much power are you planning on making? Because unless you are making some serious power, like twice what a JSRC is capable of making a D series, I dont much see the point in anything over 60mm.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-manifold.html

check how I matched my 70mm one to d16y8 manifold

maybe you need to bore it in the similar way
Michael99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I have personally seen a re-worked Type-R TB flow enough to make 235whp on an NA B20VTEC.

It should work fine for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Last edited by FarmerD; 09-06-2015 at 11:56 AM.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I have about a 200hp b18c1 crx, biggest upgrade I have done to it is taking off the 70mm TB and putting on a stock B series 60mm TB. Drastically increased my throttle response and gained about 8 MPG, top end was at least as good if not slightly better.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

thanks' guys for the responses. I'm thinking of taking your advise and getting mine oem bored out. I hear Maxbore does good work. I always read superchargers like the least restriction, so I figured bigger was better.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

Maxbore does great work.

If you'd like a replacement, we carry the cast 68-70mm throttle bodies in stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shop 24/7 @

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join Us on FACEBOOK

88' Civic D16 [email protected]135MPH
Thanks D-Series.ORG for all of the continued support!
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US FOR ALL OF YOUR BUILD NEEDS!
2009'-2011' Import Face-Off Title Sponsors...Keep the Sport alive, Come Race with US!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

I think on the JRSC where it's having to pull the air through it you may benefit from a larger TB. I have a Maxbore 64mm (OEM GSR TB opened up) and he did excellent work, and now I have a Skunk2 70mm. It doesn't operate as smoothly as an OEM and tends to stick at about 1% instead of closing completely.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
I think on the JRSC where it's having to pull the air through it you may benefit from a larger TB. I have a Maxbore 64mm (OEM GSR TB opened up) and he did excellent work, and now I have a Skunk2 70mm. It doesn't operate as smoothly as an OEM and tends to stick at about 1% instead of closing completely.

Good to know, you never know with after market parts sometimes. I would prefer to stay oem. I hear some guys say these work well.

Import Performance Parts - Professional Products Throttle Bodies
Old 09-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Any TB can stick or do wierd things, my OBX 70mm that was on the car when I bought it worked like garbage at first. You take it off clean everything up, lube it up lightly, adjust it so it closes all the way wihout sticking, adjust the TPS sensor and then you are good. I have had to do this with both stock and aftermarket throttlebodies, and anyone who doesnt do this to their 20+ year old throttlebody is missing out.

Even with the 70mm OBX TB functioning perfectly, it still lost out everywhere over the stock 60mm one though. You just loose throttlebody control along with air velocity.

The only reason they seem to make some improvement is because right after you put one on what was 10% feels more aggressive because it is now 15%, what was 20% is now 30%, what was 60% is now 90%, what was 80% is now 100%, but what was 100% is still only 100%. There isnt any real improvement in 99% of cases, only loss of resolution that seems like more power on the surface.

Last edited by JoelEspinoza; 09-07-2015 at 06:51 PM.
JoelEspinoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
The only reason they seem to make some improvement is because right after you put one on what was 10% feels more aggressive because it is now 15%, what was 20% is now 30%, what was 60% is now 90%, what was 80% is now 100%, but what was 100% is still only 100%. There isnt any real improvement in 99% of cases, only loss of resolution that seems like more power on the surface.
I made this back in the days.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I'd really recommend a 60mm B-series, they're $20-40 on ebay. The next step would be the 68mm Omni, but I haven't seen many D16 JRSC's that could max out the 60mm TB.

Quote:
I have about a 200hp b18c1 crx, biggest upgrade I have done to it is taking off the 70mm TB and putting on a stock B series 60mm TB. Drastically increased my throttle response and gained about 8 MPG, top end was at least as good if not slightly better.
Have you datalogged your manifold pressure? My H23A-vtec does NOT like the smaller 60mm TB I put on it. After 5300rpm it creates vacuum & dips to -1psi at redline. Virtual Dyno and 1/4 MPH puts it in the 195whp range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I made this back in the days.
As much as that is appreciated, it obviously doesn't account for the 1/4" rod in the center. The increase is actually slightly non-liner.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Speaking of datalogging, I was seeing pretty serious restrictions on my 11.5:1 B18C1 with Blox intake mani and 60mm. It was falling back to 940mBar by redline, or maybe lower. 64mm Maxbore helped eliminate most of that then now with the 70mm S2 and Ultra intake it may drop to 985mBar.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I enjoyed using the 68mm Professional Products TB on my boosted build. Was high quality, priced aggressively, and worked flawlessly.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 04:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

So for those of you who feel you saw improvements from a larger throttlebody, how much power did you actually gain on the top end? Because a reduction in manifold vacuum does not necessarily mean better performance, nor does it mean anything for driveability or throttle response.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough

I am using the Skunk2 Alpha 66mm Throttle Body, No issues; I would recommend; I got it packaged with the S2 manifold.

-Good quality materials
-The throttle rotor assembly was as good or better than OEM
-Installed like a breeze

SKUNK2 66mm Alpha Series Throttle Body Integra CIVIC CRX Prelude S2000 Accord | eBay
mdrouillard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

^ We actually stock those throttle bodies and are an authorized Skunk2 distributor... JIC.

Shop 24/7 @

Join Us on FACEBOOK

88' Civic D16 [email protected]135MPH
Thanks D-Series.ORG for all of the continued support!
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US FOR ALL OF YOUR BUILD NEEDS!
2009'-2011' Import Face-Off Title Sponsors...Keep the Sport alive, Come Race with US!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
So for those of you who feel you saw improvements from a larger throttlebody, how much power did you actually gain on the top end? Because a reduction in manifold vacuum does not necessarily mean better performance, nor does it mean anything for driveability or throttle response.
No dyno numbers for me, or even track numbers since I never drag race any more. I can say it still had great low-mid range paired with the old cams I had in the motor. It was an obvious restriction though as much as it was dropping off.

< Like us on FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in