Premium fuels - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Default Premium fuels

I noticed this year there was a big push for a top-tier premium fuel "upgrade" among most gas stations Ive come across. My question here is what company provides the best overall premium? I have always used SA fuel(92 premium) and my cars have ran decent. But I have a tune coming up on my turbo-d and I am not going E-85 yet.(due to lateness in the year) I was leaning towards BP 93 premium. I have heard from a few that this fuel tends to be better than most. Have you guys heard or experienced anything similar or different? Or are these fuels damn near all the same at the premium level?
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblkVTEC View Post
I noticed this year there was a big push for a top-tier premium fuel "upgrade" among most gas stations Ive come across. My question here is what company provides the best overall premium? I have always used SA fuel(92 premium) and my cars have ran decent. But I have a tune coming up on my turbo-d and I am not going E-85 yet.(due to lateness in the year) I was leaning towards BP 93 premium. I have heard from a few that this fuel tends to be better than most. Have you guys heard or experienced anything similar or different? Or are these fuels damn near all the same at the premium level?
My .02

I would imagine that when it comes to pre-ignition and knock prevention for higher horsepower builds, octane would be octane.

87 < 91 < 93 < 94 < E85

I know here the HIGHEST octane level rated gas is from Sunoco and that is a 94 octane, I am not a fuel expert or anything but I know they might have certain additives which distinguish between them, but one would think Octane is Octane.

Personally there are no stations around here which provide E85, so I am going to be running with a water/methanol injection kit.
mdrouillard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Misease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enoughMisease will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Misease

You can still run "e85" in the winter. The blend just tends to be a little less ethanol. Buy a test kit and test your source. Going to still be your best choice as far as pump fuel goes.
Misease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misease View Post
You can still run "e85" in the winter. The blend just tends to be a little less ethanol. Buy a test kit and test your source. Going to still be your best choice as far as pump fuel goes.
I am aware of this... I have the tester kit. Its not a winter car. It will be in storage all winter thus the tune for having the premium. I know I could just fill it with premium, drain and fill with E85 when the time comes. But I feel it best for me to have 2 different tunes. I was just curious on everyone's views on premium fuels overall...
Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrouillard1983 View Post
My .02

I would imagine that when it comes to pre-ignition and knock prevention for higher horsepower builds, octane would be octane.

87 < 91 < 93 < 94 < E85

I know here the HIGHEST octane level rated gas is from Sunoco and that is a 94 octane, I am not a fuel expert or anything but I know they might have certain additives which distinguish between them, but one would think Octane is Octane.

Personally there are no stations around here which provide E85, so I am going to be running with a water/methanol injection kit.
100 or i believe 110 is the highest pump fuel that is not ethanol based.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

dont worry about the actual gas. the STATION is what you need to worry about. a big name or chain will have a good filter system that is maintained regularly, and has their inspections actually done properly.

as for "premium" its a bunch of horse shit. They just toss in a few gallons of fuel cleaner for every few thousand they pump into the ground tanks. It ends up so diluted it doesnt barely do anything.

MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING.. jsut like the "demand" for 3k mile oil changes. freaking honda has never had an oil change on the civics rated for under 5k miles in 25 years for their described "normal" conditions

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

So off topic, but IMHO 3k miles is the max id go on conventional!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
So off topic, but IMHO 3k miles is the max id go on conventional!
Im a cheap bastard, so when my cars were stock I followed the oem stuff. the half dozen d15b7's Ive owned all got 6-7500 intervals. I just used high mileage varieties of what was on sale at the time.

Build what you have!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Law
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Law smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like Borat

Perks of being in the UK. 99 is readily available and you don't find less than 96
Although we get raped on price. We pay 1.15 for 99 (1 dollar 75 or so)
Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

What does 96 RON convert to (R+M)/2 ?? I have a feeling its right around 87...
Quote:
Old 09-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

91-92 RON is about 87 octane, give or take a bit.

Build what you have!

Old 09-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Ok fine Europe wins.
Quote:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I guess my main question was if there are really any true differences between any of the new "top tier" fuels.... but it seems like most of the fuel is pretty much the same as far as pump gas goes... Im going to try BP and see how my car likes it compared to SA...
Old 09-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I know in a Leaky H22 losing a Qt. a Tank, AMPM gas would throw a code for knock sensor. Went away with Chevron/Shell. All premium. Just a story. I always used Shell Premium and Rotella for the budget minded.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

I stick to 76 (Conoco Phillips) after using Arco (BP) for merely 2 years inbetween emissions tests and failing due to carbon deposits completely clogging the egr lines on the vg30, when the emissions test prior to switching to BP gas had passed with flying colors. After completely removing and cleaning the egr passages and using only 76 I passed the previously failed test and 2 years later with flying colors again with no sign of carbon build up.

Throughout the whole 6 year period the oil changes were frequently between no less than 7000 to 11000 miles between 180k and 220k on the never been disassembled engine using Mobile 1 super 5000 conventional. Still going strong and needing an oil change soon as it's been around 8000 since the last one.

Last edited by Chrisfrom1986; 09-07-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

I've run 93 pump gas (and many others have too) without issue. I just stick to big chains and don't worry about the rest.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Freemananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Been running 87 for ever, get good mileage and because I am stock, it never misfires due to fuel grade/octane. Still not sure why people think these old motors like that gas. I mean if you change the fueling and ecu, and turbo it sure. Other wise I feel like you are wasting your money, but it is yours to waste.

On the other hand, I put cheap gas in my new van....no wait it runs fine too. The only car I have had issues with cheap gas, no low octane, was my turbo Volvo. My .02.

If you drop by a no name station, with the lowest prices in town, you are playing russian roulette.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

when I had 93 octane in the Fit, it took about a full tank to "set up" for it.

The real way I knew it made a difference, is if I was using 93 octane for weeks and weeks, if I suddenly filled a tank from Empty to Full, the car liked burping and farting letting off the gas, and the car randomly seemed laggy, until it (the ecu) figured it out.

Id say 2005 (thereabouts) or newer hondas is when they started to be sensitive to what was in the tank

Build what you have!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

I only run 93 octane in a car with a turbo set up because that's what it was tuned on. My Fit and all other cars get 87 octane and run great. I put 93 in my hatch when it had the stock d15 in it and I'd say it may have ran worse. No benefits. The only reason to run higher octane fuel is for the higher knock threshold which is applicable in high compression motors and boosted set ups. I think my B16A suggested premium fuel (91+ octane) in stock form. But most of the time you can run 87/89, whatever low octane fuel is around.

1989 CRX Si
-daily driver
Freemananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Not a Honda might you, but I've ran just about every gas station PREMIUM fuel I have in town. Anything from Shell, Exxon, Marathon, to ethanol-free 93 octane; I've measured no ill effects in fuel mileage or felt any performance losses due to the fuel I was running at the time. So right now I just go wherever it is cheapest...which just so happens to be Sams Club @ $2.07/gal (for 93oct)!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in