Recommended engine oil - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Recommended engine oil

I've recently bought a EG civic.
SRP Pistons
Eagle rods
ACL Bearings
ARP Headbolts
Cometic Head Gasket
Tuned on Neptune
Turbonetics unknown turbocharger
Running 20psi boost
What engine oil you guys use for this similar setup ?
previous owner was using Caltex fully synthetic 5W-40 and before he was using Liqui Moly 20W-50
MahadGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I use a 15w40 generic diesel engine oil.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I wouldn't use a 5 -40 on a turbo civic unless it's like 20 degrees outside, during the hot summer days run 15-40. I use Rotella t6 15-40

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 04:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I run rotella 5w-40. Remember the W stands for winter. 5w-40 and 15w-40 are both 40 weight oils at 100 degrees celsius. I would use either for summer but don't run 15w-40 once it gets colder out. I would be fine running 5w-40 year round.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
I run rotella 5w-40. Remember the W stands for winter. 5w-40 and 15w-40 are both 40 weight oils at 100 degrees celsius. I would use either for summer but don't run 15w-40 once it gets colder out. I would be fine running 5w-40 year round.
Never knew it stood for winter (thought it stood for weight), anyways I read that a huge difference in the weights like that is bad, a 5-40 has much more additives that break down faster and kill your oil than something with less of a difference like a 15-40. Besides I would rather my oil start out as a 40 and as it heats up it comes down to a 15w rather than a 5 (unless I got that backwards), also I get better oil pressures with a 15-40 vs when I ran 5-30 or 5-40. I usually use a 5-30 during winter but it's so cold I never have to worry about oil pressures dropping to low.

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

"w" stands for winter. 15w is thicker than 5w, but only when cold. Once warmed up, if both oils have 40 after the "w" - they are the same viscosity.
So you definitely don't want 20w(e.g.) for a cold winter
Old 08-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Yes there are more additives in the 5-40. I made the mistake of running 15-40 in the winter and once it got below 40 degrees out, my motor sounded like a diesel truck when I would first start it.

I have 20psi oil pressure with the 5w-40 at idle. I change my oil every 2-3000 miles so im not too worried about it breaking down.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I ran Rotella 10/30 when boosted and NA
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMER View Post
if both oils have 40 after the "w" - they are the same viscosity.
Wrong.

The SAE grade XwY numbers are relative indicators that indicate resistance to change in viscosity.

An oil with a lowerX is more resistant to thickening when cold than an oil with higher X.

Similarly, an oil with higher Y resists thinning better when hot when compared to an oil with lower Y.

This specification gives you absolutely no information about the oil's base viscosity. To find that out, wither consult the oil spec sheet, or look at the API / ACEA spec. Once you find the right spec there, choose the oil with the proper SAE grade depending on your operating conditions.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Oh, didnt realize we were scientists on here lol.

I guess Im out of the loop. my current stock civic gets 10w-40 during the summer, and will get 5w-30 during the winter (wisconsin)

When I go turbo, its going to be getting 10w-40 synthetic year round, and if oil pressure stays stable for a couple thousand miles, I might move to a 5w-40 or even a 0w-40

People play with the oil ratings far too much. They need to focus on getting proper amounts of zinc and phosphorous, not thickness.

Sever loss of pressure relates more to temperature and oil break down, and some people try to fix it with foolishly thick oil on here. Ive seen 20w-50 before

Anybody ever looked up the engine oil a Nissan GTR uses? Twin turbo high rpm v6, all that goodness..

Its 0w-40 mixed with a billion additives to keep it healthy and stable.

That engine is seeing far more stress than half the builds on here.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Where i live minimum temperature is 15 degree Celsius and maximum is 45 degree Celsius round the year so it is good to go 5W-40
MahadGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
I wouldn't use a 5 -40 on a turbo civic unless it's like 20 degrees outside, during the hot summer days run 15-40. I use Rotella t6 15-40
Again, there is no T6 15W40.

To the op, since your motor has aftermarket bearings, your going to have to do a test for yourself and check oil pressure, motor could have been assembled on the tight side of bearing clearance, may have been built on the loose side.

My motor is on the loose side with .0025" clearance approx across the engine bearings and 5-40 oil puts me at a comfortable pressure, but I live in a cold climate. In a hot climate I would be switching to 15-40

If the oil you choose drops to pressure below 10psi @ idle when fully warm, its time to step up the first number
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

There is sooooo many thread asking this same question, could we have a sticky involving:
Engine oil
Engine Filters
Clutch choices
among other topics

It would save people from asking the same question in a new thread, and maybe ask in the sticky to encourage updated info in the one thread.

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

To the op, since your motor has aftermarket bearings, your going to have to do a test for yourself and check oil pressure, motor could have been assembled on the tight side of bearing clearance, may have been built on the loose side.

My motor is on the loose side with .0025" clearance approx across the engine bearings and 5-40 oil puts me at a comfortable pressure, but I live in a cold climate. In a hot climate I would be switching to 15-40

If the oil you choose drops to pressure below 10psi @ idle when fully warm, its time to step up the first numbe
r
operating pressure when fully warmed up between say 5w-30 and 10w-30 will be very similar, if not same, depending on oil brand.

however, between 10w30 and 10w40, the 40 weight will be thicker and cause more pressure.

the w is not the oil weight normally. it is the winter rating.

here is an example I stole from google

Notice how the numbers are smaller on the left for the left side of chart, and opposite for the weight. more weight means more temperature protection, ROUGH RULE OF THUMB (as in not scientifically accurate)

also notice how 5w-40 is portrayed. it has a a further reach into cold category, yet also a longer reach into the hotter category. the benefit of having a very low winter weight, and a high normal/summer rate (whatever the actual term is)

REALISTICLY, your personal setup and experience will very. Some will be happy with 20w-50, others run expensive 5w-30 or 5w-20 racing oils with much more additives.

I eprsonally try to stick CLOSE to factory, as 99% of us are STILL on factory oil pumps and factory oil pans.

Those with much higher oil capacity (oil coolers, modified oil pans) can get away with closer to normal oils, as more oil means it takes much longer to break down or thin out from heat.

Ideally, a thermostatic-controlled oil cooler with a large surface area is perfect for our cars.

Build what you have!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

ere is another resource. FOr me, it is hard to tell if its "sponsor worded" or not, so take this with a grain of salt, but surely something can be taken form it

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

Build what you have!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

If the oil you choose drops to pressure below 10psi @ idle when fully warm, its time to step up the first number
Busting my damn balls.... My bad I didn't realize there was more than one rotella t series, guess I have rotella t 15w-40 and not t6 15-40 like I though

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 08-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Buddy wants a synthetic oil recomendation, and the rotella 15-40 is not synthetic is all
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Isnt there a rotella synthetic, or at least a partial blend?

I know rotella is good regardless though. Might run it if my oil change ever shows up the same time with it being on sale at walmart

Build what you have!

Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

10w30 of the cheapest stuff I can get.
Its simple really just have oil in your motor and it should last a long time.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

depends on your bearing clearances. and climate where you live. synthetic is a waste of money

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in