Running richer after fuel pump upgrade? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Running richer after fuel pump upgrade?

I just went from a walbro 255 to a walbro 450 and noticed my afr's seem to be like a fuel point richer now across the board. Is this normal? I dont have a fuel pressure gauge so I dont know what the pressure is. Im still on the stock fpr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

You're outflowing the stock fpr; when a backpressure regulator like our fpr needs to flow more, it requires a larger pressure drop. The outlet pressure is already nothing because it's just dumping back to the tank, so the rail pressure necessarily builds up
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular

Ok so can I just adjust the tune for now or do I need an aftermarket fpr?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
Ok so can I just adjust the tune for now or do I need an aftermarket fpr?
Come on you should know this.
500cc injectors @ 42psi flow lets say 500cc
Now those same injectors @50psi will flow around 520cc
Hince the richness.

So you you need to either
Get a gauge to read the pressure and adjust the tune base on the new injector flow rate

Get a reg and gauge to bring the pressure back down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yes I understand that its running richer due to higher pressure. I can easily adjust the tune.

My concern is will it be ok to keep running the stock fpr? Will it be safe or can it fail due to higher pressure?
dj_justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
Yes I understand that its running richer due to higher pressure. I can easily adjust the tune.

My concern is will it be ok to keep running the stock fpr? Will it be safe or can it fail due to higher pressure?
You can tune around it but without knowing some informationbyour be blind tuning.

How much richer are we talking about tho? Going from 14.7 to 13? Or 14.7 to 14.3?

And im not 100% sure on if it will mess up the stock reg or not.
I seen a few builds with 450 pumps but dont remeber of they used the stock reg or not.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I went from 14.7 to 13.5 when I swapped from a stock pump to a 255.. I just adjusted my tune for it.. But it's not a linear adjustment on your fuel maps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
lostdrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Stock fpr btw.. I'm surprised yours didn't drastically change

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
lostdrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

It went from idling around 14 to 13 and cruising is in the high 11's to 12's. Under boost is now in the 10's when before it was in the mid 11's. Im seeing my tuner tuesday, so Ill just get it tuned as is and we will see I guess.

I am also considering doing this The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles.

I would just get an aeromotive fpr, but it doesnt seem like there is any easy way to hook it up without changing lines and the fuel rail and what not.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

Get an FPR adapter for the stock rail, or just get an aftermarket fuel rail since they cost nothing for these cars. Then get an aftermarket regulator.

Also get a gauge for goodness' sake. I bet you're running like 55psi base pressure lol.

Aeromotives tend to leak vacuum/boost from their tops, by the way. Every single one I've tested to date.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
Get an FPR adapter for the stock rail, or just get an aftermarket fuel rail since they cost nothing for these cars. Then get an aftermarket regulator.

Also get a gauge for goodness' sake. I bet you're running like 55psi base pressure lol.

Aeromotives tend to leak vacuum/boost from their tops, by the way. Every single one I've tested to date.
I have a gauge but it leaks like crazy so I ordered a new one. The higher pressure might actually be beneficial, as I am hoping to hit 400whp.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

It's going to be non-linear with the biggest change at idle. You can tune around it without issue
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

You can tune around a lot of things wrong with a car. But when they're so easy and cheap to fix like they are on a Civic, is there really any excuse to?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post

Really? That's good to know, I planned on buying one eventually but probably wont. Which fpr do you recommend that works good? I know aem is garbage and I believe it was transzex who said a stock integra fpr would fix the fuel return issue

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Really most FPRs will work fine, even the Aeromotive ones. I just prefer my stuff to not leak. Radium makes an excellent FPR with interchangable tops available, sealed or adjustable. I've never used one but I'm itching to try one out. For a more traditional style regulator, Tomeis are great.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

trying to turn around a larger pump and a regulator that cannot bypass enough fuel makes the tuner HATE you.

Sure it can be done, close enough, but it will NEVER be right.

Get enough pump flow, get enough bypass, set pressure at 50 psi base, your tuner will thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

Or add another oem fpr to your rail and be happy with no leak/no issue oem hardware.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
trying to turn around a larger pump and a regulator that cannot bypass enough fuel makes the tuner HATE you.

Sure it can be done, close enough, but it will NEVER be right.

Get enough pump flow, get enough bypass, set pressure at 50 psi base, your tuner will thank you!
The problem is my tuning appointment is tuesday and it took a couple months to get that appointment. No time to wait for more parts. I emailed the tuner and asked his advice. Would you recommend doing this mod to the stock fpr? The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles
Old 08-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

I got some yellow ptfe tape and put my ebay pressure gauge back on. No leaking now and holy crap I had 80 psi at idle! I drilled a small hole in the regulator as said in that article. It brought the pressure down to 60 psi. I think ill just run like that. I know jvtec is running 60 base pressure on a 255.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

You just need a new stock fpr. I have never had such a huge problem with just a 255 in there. Your stock fpr should be able to hold a 255 without problems
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in