would apprechiate some turbo advice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default would apprechiate some turbo advice

hi guys im pretty new to the d series scene, picked my ej6 up last week with a busted bottom end, so engine rebuild is defo on the cards.....so thought i might as well put the extra effort and boost the car, just looking for some input on turbo, internal, management etc,
I dont just want to buy a full kit would rather piece it together so i can pick and choose what i would like to run.
im trying to keep costs low but still have a decent quality in the build, sorry for the noobiness, i have read through everyones spec but direct input would be great

any advice would be apprechiated, thanks guys
bratch106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

My advice is to search on the internet

But you need to come up with goals. Power level. Response. Budget. Time to finish. SUPPORTING MODS (brakes, tires, bushings)

Get reading yo

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

The best advice I can give you, which will make your life easier, is to start with a go-autoworks manifold/downpipe combo:

GO-AUTOWORKS Cast Manifold Combo

You can peice it together from there, but that alone will make everything fit so much more easily.
All you would need is a T3 turbo (not too big, or it will hit the block), and a tial wastegate (save big bucks buying a knockoff). Put together some charge pipes, intercooler, oil lines, and of course engine management/injectors. Now youre boostin'.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Forced Induction - D-series.org has loads of stuff.

A nice comfy chair, a good wine and a pleasant, informative evening's reading.
Go on, you know you want to!

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

thanks for all the input, would this piston/rod set work for what im looking for, would be looking to shoot for 300hp if possible, would the head have to be changed at all, im gona be boosting a d16y7
Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 mdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enoughmdrouillard1983 will become famous soon enough

The stock head will work fine in most cases as long as you're not revving her 10,000RPM all day long and your oiling system is up to par. Just make sure the head gasket is in good condition ottherwise you're gonna blow a 20+ year old gasket in no time.

Most run with an Eagle H-Beam rod setup with either Vitara or Forged pistons and can handle upwards of 500+ HP. The stock D16 rods are the weak point for the most part most people will say the limit is about 220hp or so with stock rods on a D16.
mdrouillard1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Personally if I could do it again I would just buy a full kit, I basically have a go autoworks kit that I paid more money than I should have by piecing it together. have you thought about all the shipping charges? You have different options for most the stuff in Greg kits and you can usually ask him for something special that he might not carry and I can get it usually.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

buy a z6 bottom end.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratch106 View Post
hi guys im pretty new to the d series scene, picked my ej6 up last week with a busted bottom end, so engine rebuild is defo on the cards.....so thought i might as well put the extra effort and boost the car, just looking for some input on turbo, internal, management etc,
I dont just want to buy a full kit would rather piece it together so i can pick and choose what i would like to run.
im trying to keep costs low but still have a decent quality in the build, sorry for the noobiness, i have read through everyones spec but direct input would be great

hey, im a former nissan turbo head. so my turbo knowledge is based off of the sr20 platform. so take what i say with a grain of salt.

im sure there is full turbo kits for the d series. there also is supercharger kits wich require a custom intercooler kit.

so either find a full kit from a reputable company and add hondata on an appropriate ecu.

as far as intercoolers go, pull the nose off, take some measurements as far as what size ic to run. ebay, yes ebay also sells intercooler kits, meaning it gives a bunch of aluminum pipe, bends, 90s 45s etc etc. it also includes a intercooler and some crappy couplings and cheap worm clamps. i bought a ebay gtir kit for my nissan, used what i needed as far as pipes go, welded up the aluminum pipes to eliminate as many rubbers as possible. i bought high end rubbers and t bolt clamps (cant remeber if thats what there called) with nylon headed nuts. also added a few welds on each end of the pipe so that the ic pipes would never seperate. i added in a bov flange and ran a real hks ssq bov.

believe it or not i also ran the ebay ic, i meausred what i needed and bought a kit with a ic that matched my specs. it also supported 400whp with zero issues.

so like i said, gonna need hondata on a ecu, bigger injectors, walbro255, etc etc.

good luck.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....evo_lucian It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Send a message via Skype™ to evo_lucian

budget, purpose of car , skill level etc would be needed
Old 08-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:

The easy way out would be to hit up go autoworks for all your turbo parts.
Then hiprofile for injectors.
Then hrt tuning for your management.
But it all being cheap isnt something that will happen.

We need real world infor here.
What is your price goal?
What is your hp goal?
What is your skill level?
What is your time frame?

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

apprechiate the info guys, i dont have an exact budget but would like to spend around 2000, time frame is upto a year, i have been a mechanic for over 10 years and regulary strip, rebuild engines but never pieced a full build together for myself, as for hp would like to see over 300, will be a weekend, track day car so has to be reliable
Old 08-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

should i uprate my oil pump? any idea on injector size or will i have to match that to my turbo and boost? sorry if any of these questions sound stupid
Old 08-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Fuel Injector Calculator | Fuel Calculators | Resources | DeatschWerks
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

thanks very much Full_Tilt that makes things alot easier, now for the turbo? any info?
Old 08-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Thanks for the reference.

bratch106, I run the Tech Dept @ DW, so let me know if you have any specific questions.

HiProfile works in the fueling industry, as well.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

thanks that would be great, thing im stuck with most is what turbo style/size i should use and what compression ratio i should be aiming for? will post what ideas i have see what you guys with the experience have
Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

hx35 /thread
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
thanks very much Full_Tilt that makes things alot easier, now for the turbo? any info?
There is a ton of ways to skin a cat.

You got lots of choices that will get you to your goal.
Either a small turbo that will spool quick but take a lot of boost psi to get to your power goal aalso maxing out the turbo and making hotter air in the higher psi range tho.
A middle size turbo that will be on point with rpms and boost levels. (t3 super 60)

or a lager turbo with room to grow but all the power being late in the rpms.

Its all up to how you drive the car, and what you want

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Start by looking on turbo manufacturers websites and seeing which turbo support your power goal then look at the compressor maps for those and figure out which one has the best spool characteristics for your goal.

Do you want above 30hp or would you be fine running slightly lower? A member here goes by the assassin is running a t3 Garrett 60 trim which is a great street turbo but he only made 280whp pushing that turbo close to max

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in