Hotside sizing for evo8 16g - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 car_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default Hotside sizing for evo8 16g

I've been wanting to smooth out my tq ever since the car got off the dyno. I don't need more power it's plenty fast and a tire shredder as is but I'm wondering if a smoother curve would help with traction. So on ebay I have found the evo 9 10.5cm hotside which I feel isn't a very big increase and a aftermarket 11.5cm hotside. I don't know which one to get. I don't want to increase spool time too much but I want to see my tq actually hold.

That's my graph. 9:1 cr, rocket regrind cam, performer x intake, and a twin scroll manifold. 14 psi is low and 20psi is high. It chokes really bad on the higher boost. Rocket said the cam might be part of it too but if I get a bigger cam wouldn't I need the 11.5 hotside even more? I seriously don't want more power just a better looking graph.
car_freak66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

If I'm reading that graph correctly (hard to see numbers), you're hitting 200whp at ~4300 rpm. That is a VERY fast spool for a 1.6L that's making >300whp peak. Most b-series don't even get power that early. To give you an idea, a ~300whp GSR w/GT28RS hits 200whp around 500 rpm later.

Speaking of the GT28, your turbo isn't that much different from the GT2871R in terms of wheel sizes - the compressor is a bit smaller but turbine is a bit larger. The 9.5cm housing is probably as big or bigger than the T25 .86AR hosing.

My guess is the cam is not helping. You need a much larger turbine housing for that cam, or a smaller cam for that turbine housing (less peak but flatter torque). The larger housing will help, but to flatten the torque you'll need a boost controller that increases boost with RPM.

Honestly the only real solution to having a flat torque curve in boost is to get a GT30 or smaller turbo and a modded 1.8-2.0L b-series. Very few d-series, nor any other import motor, will hold torque to redline. That's not to say they're junk, you'll just be "stuck" with a lot more mid-range torque. That's only a bad thing if your parts can't take the stress.

Edit: one more thing I forgot about your setup - a divided manifold effectively reduces the housing's AR. When I spoke to Jeff Evans about it, he stated a 0.78ar divided T3 will flow a bit less than an undivided 0.63 housing. The 11.5 housing will flow more like a 0.63 housing and the 10.5 will be more like a .57 housing. The 9.5 flows a bit more than a T3 0.48 housing. Divided turbos spool like mad but make much less peak power than an undivided turbo with the same housing/turbine size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HiProfile; 08-16-2015 at 10:45 PM.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Go bigger on the turbine housing, make sure it fits though the evo 8 and 9 differ.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Flip

That is nice. Looks like my evo 3 16g sheet, except more peak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 car_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eaglecar_freak66 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely pick up the 11.5 hotside this winter while I'm making some other changes.
car_freak66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in