3 inch Exhaust: Lets Talk Sources - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default 3 inch Exhaust: Lets Talk Sources

Whats up D-hoes

As we all know, 3"+ exhaust is the way to go on essentially all turbo setups. Even 200hp builds have shown gains in spool and power when going from 2.5" to 3" exhaust. In the words of Corky Bell, "The best turbo exhaust, is no exhaust"

I would like to compile information about 3+ inch exhaust systems, kits, and parts so that this information is easy to find. Please share your experience with products, or share your DIY approaches. Include pics if possible!

I have collected the following info.

Piping Kits:

Columbia River (mandrel-bends.com)
96-00 Civic, "Mandrel Bent, Tig Welded", "Piping Only. Does not include flanges or hangers."
$149 + Shipping
3.0" Exhaust, 1996-2000 Honda Civic Pipe Kit, Aluminized Columbia River Mandrel Bending

KTeller
Kits available for most Civic/CRX/Integra/Prelude/Accord models
"All hardware, such as: hangers, flanges and clamps are included with this kit"
3" Aluminized Exhaust Piping Kit - $200 + Shipping
3" Stainless Exhaust Piping Kit - $239 + Shipping
Mandrel Exhaust Piping Kits - KTeller

Mandrel Exhaust Systems
Kits available for most Civic/CRX/Integra/Prelude/Accord models
"Mandrel bent exhaust tubing system", "Hardware includes: gaskets, nuts/bolts, steel flanges, hangers and clamps", "All tubing is 16 gauge (.065" wall) and measures OD"
3" Aluminized Steel - $195
3" 304 Stainless Steel - $270
Car Exhaust - Honda - Mandrel Exhaust Systems

"Catback" (More like downpipe back ) Systems:

eBay Special #1 (Black Swaggin' Muffler)
"T-304 Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Piping And TIG Welded Steel Flanges", "Tip Diameter: 4.5"/ 114.3mm, Piping Diameter: 3" / 70mm"
$124 - Free Shipping
92 95 Honda Civic 3DR Hatchback JDM 3" Black Canister Catback Exhaust System | eBay

KTeller Complete Exhaust System
Systems for Civic and Integra models, options for stainless/aluminized and the addition of a 14" resonator.
3" Aluminized Steel Exhaust with Oval Muffler & 14" Resonator - $425
3" Stainless Exhaust with Oval Muffler - $450
3" Stainless Exhaust with Muffler & 14" Stainless Resonator - $525
http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kte...s/g-62619.aspx

Thermal R&D Exhaust System
Available for Civic/CRX/Integra
574 + Shipping
http://www.full-race.com/store/exhau...st-system.html

Last edited by Full_Tilt; 08-04-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

"Catcback" con't

Skunk2 MegaPower RR
"T-304 stainless steel, are robotically TIG welded, and feature CNC mandrel bends"
$603 + Shipping
Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

any oval kits out there?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

I've used two VRS piping kits for my car and my friends, 2.5" and 3" respectively. Good quality, good price compared to KTeller. The only thing is once I had everything welded up and bought a muffler, I was out about $400 total. Fit was excellent on mine, easily cleared my 22mm ST rear sway bar (which isn't an easy feat on an 88-91 chassis).

My current system is all 3" I had a local shop do. It's not full mandrel bends, but not wrinkle bend either. Can't remember what that's called, but it ended up costing me a lot since I had to redo it to quieten it down.

Edit: Not sure what you're using for a muffler, but a friend turned me onto VMS Racing mufflers on eBay. Apparently they are a Magnaflow knockoff and I love mine, it sounds deep and fairly quiet. He had them on his CTS-V and they sounded excellent on a V8 as well.

< Like us on FB

Last edited by xotic_crx; 08-04-2015 at 09:22 AM.
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I always use Columbia River builder kits.

13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
I've used two VRS piping kits for my car and my friends, 2.5" and 3" respectively. Good quality, good price compared to KTeller.
I was looking at that kit as well

HONDA TK

Only $160 for aluminized, but I was turned off by the lack of pics and the ancient looking website. lol

Right now Im leaking towards the KTeller (or maybe the VRS/TK), or trying that cheap eBay system and cutting the muffler off.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

Magnaflow,

NOT Flowmaster They are HORRID

Grab some INTERLOCKING v-Band clamps off eBay. ~25$ apiece

Grab a Bellows Flex pipe, one with the coil inside the wrapping. You need this to prevent breakage.

I reccomend merging the dump

Use as many hangers as you can reasonably, mount it up high.

Do not fuck around with the 2 bolt/gasket shit

Dont mount the rear vBand in the low spot, mount it up the slope over the rear LCA so water doesnt settle in it and rust it out.

14x4x9 fits in the back

5 inch Dia x 14 fits under the passenger compartment.

I use a 18 in vibrant after the DP

Also recommend a turn down on the back of the muffler with the extra pipe to keep soot and attention away.

Mount the muffler high and paint it all black VHT when done.

I can talk to the person next to me in a gutted car, when its running NA or turbo, Fluflufluflufluflu.

Cops don't notice it at all, neither do other ricers.

Rolled a baseball through the entire thing

Got the pipe from Canada eBay $60 for the pipe $30 shipped.

Last edited by TheToaster; 08-04-2015 at 11:42 AM.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 HondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I have a VRS 3" aluminized kit on my 00 coupe. It fits quite well. There are a couple of things that could be better though. At the 90 degree bend, it comes a little closer to the chassis than I like, but it is manageable. You may or may not have to add a little extra piping(depending on your downpipe length). I used a magnaflow 3" center/center 5X8X14 oval muffler. Even without a resonator, it is still pretty quiet and it sounds smooth.

Plenty of clearance on the sway bar.

The 90 degree bend is a little close.

00 ex coupe; 346whp/271wtq @21psi

Last edited by HondaSteve; 08-04-2015 at 11:51 AM.
HondaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

It's called comprehension!

Haven't you ever read a fictional book??
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Are you implying that no imagination is required to read a non-fictional book? or that your exhaust system is fictional?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I had some fitment issues with my VRS exhaust kit where it bends over the rear LCA. Because of that, I had to mount the exhaust lower than I would have liked which means that scraping is something that I constantly have to worry about. Also, the provided hangers aren't stainless steel and neither are the flanges.

Whoever you get the kit from, make sure you have them verify what kind of stainless it is before you buy. This is important when it comes time to chose a filler rod to weld the stuff together.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

I have used a few VRS kits. They are a great bang for the buck. Don't let the drab website scare you away.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

If you have the scratch, Thermal stuff is effing amazing. I bought my 2.25" system used back in the early 00s and it is still going strong and is only now starting to change tone, but it still sounds amazing.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I also run a VRS 3", fits the Crx chassis perfect, price cant be beat.

Guess who supplies Kteller?? VRS..

:
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

I read that on an old HT thread earlier.

I guess I'm going to pick up the VRS/TK-Honda 3" aluminized kit. I don't plan on running a muffler or resonator. If it's short I'll just weld a little extra pipe on the back to make it stick clear of the bumper.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 s3v3n is learning the way of the Ds3v3n is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
I don't plan on running a muffler or resonator
Have you considered just using a cut out?

Quote:
In the words of Corky Bell, "The best turbo exhaust, is no exhaust"
s3v3n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 satansbrother is learning the way of the Dsatansbrother is learning the way of the D

Good thread, lets keep thjs one up to date.
satansbrother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
I read that on an old HT thread earlier.

I guess I'm going to pick up the VRS/TK-Honda 3" aluminized kit. I don't plan on running a muffler or resonator. If it's short I'll just weld a little extra pipe on the back to make it stick clear of the bumper.
So you plan on running a full exhaust minus the resonator and muffler? That sounds like shit imo, when I first put an exhaust on my turbo civic I just installed the piping since I was waiting on a muffler and it has that bumble bee tone to it, might sound different with a 3in but idk for sure.

I used the trubendz brand on ebay for my last two 2.5in mandrel exhaust piping kits, they are good kits but my fitment sucks because I suck at getting everything aligned.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

After building 3 exhausts from scratch using mandrel bends - I said F*** it and went with the ebay shit. It's ended up being cheaper & easier.

My teg has the 2.5" tacotaco version along with a DIY adapter (2.25" flange stub plus 2.25" donut) to adapt to an OEM GSR muffler. Sounds nice & quiet. My next project will utilize the majority of the 3" exhaust connected to a 3" DP & flexpipe; I bought the same "Black Swaggin" kit shown above. Both have very nice mandrel bends and no excess welds. I'm still undecided if I want to get a vibrant muffler or do an OEM+Cutout again. The crap they come with won't wind awards, but you can replace the muffler & resonator with decent parts and still be better off than the mild steel kits.

As far as the "stainless" used, it is indeed a 400-series stainless. My del sol came with some ebay special years back and it hasn't rusted more than a typical OEM 400-series stainless. Only the flanges are getting really ugly since they are plated mild steel.

Quote:
I don't plan on running a muffler or resonator. If it's short I'll just weld a little extra pipe on the back to make it stick clear of the bumper.
Just get a cherrybomb or house brand from Summit Racing for ~$20 each. They'll slip of the piping and can be welded or clamped. It will sound FAR better. There's actually nothing I hate more than a inline-4 with almost no exhaust, turbo or otherwise.

Last edited by HiProfile; 08-04-2015 at 08:55 PM.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in