V-AFC With Turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 SleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enoughSleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enoughSleepingCRX88 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SleepingCRX88
Default V-AFC With Turbo

K i have been reading and i was wondering is it not good to run a V-AFC with a turbo. Have been tossed around read that some ppl say its perfectly fine and others not? Whats some opions and facts?
SleepingCRX88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

At one point a rising rate FPR was the way to go untill the AFC came along. Now things have advanced again and we have ecu chipping. To make a long story short, the afc hack doesn't continually adjust your timing per lbs of boost like a chipped ECU will. It just keeps your timing stock.
13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
HMT.com GOD

Rep Power: 16 Dr.Boost is learning the way of the DDr.Boost is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13g-crx
At one point a rising rate FPR was the way to go untill the AFC came along. Now things have advanced again and we have ecu chipping. To make a long story short, the afc hack doesn't continually adjust your timing per lbs of boost like a chipped ECU will. It just keeps your timing stock.
Incorrect. The AFC when used with larger injectors advances your timing, which is what makes it bad for forced induction.

Obviously a chipped ECU running TurboEdit/Uberdata/Crome/yada yada...is better, but you can do it. I wouldn't suggest running over ~10psi with it, but it can be safe. I would also suggest retarding your base timing or using a BTM to retard timing per psi.
Dr.Boost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

With the technology and cost of it the AFC aint worth shit imo
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 konigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingCRX88
K i have been reading and i was wondering is it not good to run a V-AFC with a turbo. Have been tossed around read that some ppl say its perfectly fine and others not? Whats some opions and facts?
since im going by your screen name you have a 88crx... go with turboedit.. its cheap and a shit load better then the afc hack.. i ran the hack on my car only cause i have obd2 and its easier for me than to swap to obd1.. if anyones car is obd1 or obd0 do the turboedit or uberdata thing, its so much better...
konigcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
the hard-parker

Rep Power: 26 Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

but if you do, make sure you have someone to help teach you the tuning techniques...we don't want you blowing up your car.

1998 honda civic ex coupe
1998 jeep cherokee sport 4x4
2004 subaru impreza wrx wagon
2002 honda accord v6 coupe
Sonny7730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 mark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mark7901

With the AFC hack, you need 450cc injectors, VAFC, upgraded fuel pump. Do you still need the resistors? If so, do you need to solder the resistors into BOTH f.i. wires? (both yellow and black) or just one of the wires?

Last edited by mark7901; 02-07-2005 at 09:22 PM.
mark7901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2005, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
HMT.com GOD

Rep Power: 16 Dr.Boost is learning the way of the DDr.Boost is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7901
Its both wires...just found out.
Ummm...no it's not. You use the yellow with a black stripe and don't touch the other wire.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 mark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Boost
Ummm...no it's not. You use the yellow with a black stripe and don't touch the other wire.
According to this its both wires...is this wrong?

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq...tml#Management

EDIT, nevermind...thats one wire with a black stripe! LOL, got ya...sorry...Im an idiot.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

So what if I modded JUST my ignition tables and burned them to a chip. Then used the AFC hack for the real time fuel adjustment? Does that make sence? It would be BOTH chipped and hacked. Or would it just be easier to use a BTM? I like the idea of the real time fuel adjustment with the AFC, I dont like how it advances the timing. In saying that, couldn't I just modify the ignition tables on my .bin map (for the timing issues) and leave the fuel tables alone. Then use the AFC to control fuel curves on the fly?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
HMT.com GOD

AFC is a hack. Period. If you're going to run a rom editor, run a rom editor. I was using an AFC along with TurboEdit for a while, but then I got smart and realized how lame that was. That's like matorbating with no lube instead of fucking a hot college girl on birth control.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
average joe

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

dr. boost > *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2005, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
AFC is a hack. Period. If you're going to run a rom editor, run a rom editor. I was using an AFC along with TurboEdit for a while, but then I got smart and realized how lame that was. That's like matorbating with no lube instead of fucking a hot college girl on birth control.
Belive me, I completly agree. I know the hack will never replace a true rom. The only advantage I gain by doing both is that I can change fuel tables on the fly. Nothing more or less. I think that is the only apealing idea in the whole situation. In your opinion, cause belive me it counts to me, would it be that bad of an idea?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
No more Honda's :-(

Rep Power: 17 FMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via MSN to FMYStreetRacer

tune it with turbo edit and leave it alone. or just tune it on turbo edit and keep the afc hooked up and you will still be bale to make changes. if you are still stuck on useing the hack just get a BTM and use the hack and call it a day.

83 RX-7 Wide Body, 4-port 13B street-ported, Cartech turbo system with blow through carbs

03 Kawasaki KLX400R tagged

FMYStreetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
HMT.com GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7901
In your opinion, cause belive me it counts to me, would it be that bad of an idea?
It's not that it's such a bad idea, it's just that it defeats the purpose of having a fully tuneable engine management system. With TurboEdit you have complete control over your entire fuel/ignition maps. When you start changing settings with the AFC you start throwing those maps all off. A good tune on TurboEdit shouldn't need any adjustments. I've used basemaps that required little to no tuning, and even an untuned basemap is better than a "tuned" AFC. You can't really "tune" with an AFC anyways.

I dunno, if you can come up with a good tune on TurboEdit, you shouldn't need to change anything with an AFC. I understand not everybody has wideband setups and laptops and chip burners, but if you're going to be messing around with turbos on your motor and you want it to last, you need to bite the bullet and make an investment. I think that was the best purchase I have ever made for my car.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

If you want real time programing you dont need the hack...you can get one of these
http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=57
People are using them and they work.
All you need is a laptop
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2005, 07:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
A good tune on TurboEdit shouldn't need any adjustments. I've used basemaps that required little to no tuning, and even an untuned basemap is better than a "tuned" AFC. You can't really "tune" with an AFC anyways. .
I didnt know that.

Quote:
I understand not everybody has wideband setups and laptops and chip burners, but if you're going to be messing around with turbos on your motor and you want it to last, you need to bite the bullet and make an investment. I think that was the best purchase I have ever made for my car.
I have all of this except a wideband.

Well, I would use Uberdata. After messing around with it agian last night, I see your point. It was all quite new to me since that last time I used Uber, when I went to the datalogging tab, I had nothing. I could never set my COM port (part of the reason I gave up). Last night I downloaded it to a new pc, and I coud see all that info. Even saw the A/F charts, could that be used as a wideband?
So you are saying that I can burn a base map that can be so close, that I wouldnt need any fine tuning? I didnt know that either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in