What manifold to go with? hx35 content - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default What manifold to go with? hx35 content

option 1

so i got my ramhorn used...very heavy high quality manifold...and it was cracked....well i had it modded a bit to fit the hx35 under the hood but unfortunatly its cracked albeit small hairline but it cracked again.....and i have to have the two outer runners modded, or i want them modded to give the radiator a little bit of breathing room since it bearly touches it....

pros:

its a full ramhorn and flows very well
great for high rpm high hp applications
probably the better choice for more power

cons:

need to be modded and the repair is free since there work failed
touches radiator
hides the sexy hx35
no possible way to run anything but window screen for a filter, sucking in nice hot radiator heat
slightly later spool times

---------------------------------------------------
option 2

my other option is a log mani i've had lying around for a long time.... i can have the turbo right up in your face but worried i will lose the higher rpm flow from it. i dont want to rob myself of power....if i lose a couple hp whatever but if it'd be a 30-40hp diff then yeah not willing to ggive that up

pros;

better oil return placement
less bends in the dp
i can run a filter on the street
shorter fmic piping by about a foot
puts the turbo is a sexy location
it does not need modification to be used as-is
faster spool...i do drive it on the street quite a bit

cons

it obviously will not flow as well as a ramhorn
need to fab a dp....i still have another correct sized vband to start it off with
idk you tell me guys

overall goal is 400whp....as of now there is nothing in the set-up to not allow mw to hit that mark

How to hook up turbo coolant lines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUILD THREAD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

Last edited by scottdh20; 03-13-2012 at 06:09 PM.
scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

well if u decide to go with the log.. lemme know... ill take that ramhorn off ur hands...
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 JGTC-EG  is accepted as part of the communityJGTC-EG  is accepted as part of the communityJGTC-EG  is accepted as part of the communityJGTC-EG  is accepted as part of the community

I'm of the opinion that the log manifold is the more practical of the two in your case.

The ram horn looks to be the type that will tap you with little repairs just often enough to piss a guy off.

The log may not be perfect but I believe it will do the job and live longer between needing any real attention.

As a system if you can run a true filter with one over the other the choice is clear if you will run the car on the street. The filtered system wins hands down.

JGTC-EG
JGTC-EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!

practical yes....but

im more concerned with its performance on the track as compared to the street....but i want it to still be streetable....i drop it down to 16psi or so on the street(dual stage boost controller)

like i said im not willing to give up a substantial amount of power but if it would be minimal then ok.....either way i go i have about $100 so cost wise its dead nuts....on one hand i have to mod the runners and add some bracing the other i need a down pipe....i do like that i could make a intake for it and just remove it at the track or remove a headlight and make a intake with a velocity stack for the track

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Lol, youll be happier with the log, what tranny ?

The power difference I bet will be minimal, we use loo onger runner\ bigger primary manifild for linear torque and better traction with top end power potential, although it probably makes more up top, the log probably kills it everywhere else. See it a lot from ramhorns to top mounts. Those manifolds really help top of 3rd and through 4/5 gears. Not so much earlier
Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

stock open diff ex/si trans.....(is there a way to tell without pulling them apart...the si is shorter than an ex...i was told its an si)

well i do rev to 8500 at the track and dont want it to choke up the turbo or anything....and i dont want to give up 30-40whp.....i can give up 10 or so(you know add 1-2psi to get it back ) i also dont want torque to drop off up top either

i have read that the log will spool it faster...but how much 200rpms isnt worth it 5-800+ is worth it

also do you think its ok to mount the turbo like that? it is basically sitting strait out...seems like it would put alot of stress on the manifold or the mounting studs...idk

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I would try it, I have it on my f22 nearly the same with no issue, althout spool time might not be that much faster it could produce more torque, and with that it mind exhaust housing will be the next to play with.believe me, even if iys 200rpm, youll notice big time, it will be more, try it, youll like it lol
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

IMHO keep the ram horn if your doing more track than street since(iirc) it will flow better up top.

If you have the time, dyno each one and see which one will produce the best results.
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well I don't have a dp for the log...and I don't want to pay to have one made if it won't work well....

I drive it almost daily on the street but its primary function is the weekend warrior/ track slut

Basically if the log will do almost as good of a job then ok but if I'm gonna take a big hit on the top end it isn't worth it

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Dyno and traps will tell but my money is on the log for you.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

well im shooting for 11's and i'd like the car to be capable of 10's with alot of driver mods but more or less capable

i'd like to see 130mph traps but would be happy with some high 120's

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Not running a TS housing and manifold with that turbo is just silly, IMO. I would vote for a TS manifold and housing.

The Log will work fine, though, especially if you size the log piping correctly.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

yes hands down best solution would be a custom equal length twin scroll manifold.....i would end up with faster spool and better top end than either of my manifolds

but since my pockets are lined with pennies and not benji's i have to make a decision

as for modifing the log it wont happen....at some point i may do a custom twin scroll manifold....but not anytime this season for sure....i just wanna get up and running on a great tune and enjoy the spring/ summer/ fall for once

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

id use the ram horn because of less chance of cylinder cross contamination. better torque up top, and only a minor loss or spool...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

How much of a loss in spool? I am wondering this.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I would assume from runing that turbo and changing manifolds, I saw 800-1000rpm, on my 1.5
Old 03-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

well my holset was hitting 20+psi around 5500rpm with my splog manifold

from my experience, cam selection has a lot to do with spool as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Im just going to throw my .02 in here..

I have cracked plenty of "custom" manifolds from reputable shops. The heat cycling over time will crack the welds no matter what. I just went with a cast for longevity, but I saw on HT about a SPA top mount cast mani. I didnt know about it when i got my cast, but if im going to switch up again, Ill be looking into the SPA.

After dyno runs in the past, I made more power from a cast mani over the log style.

My setup is the 8.8:1 B20B and I put down my best numbers using a cheap cast mani.
(i was tired of paying 300 + DP fab every 6 months from cracked mani's)

SPA Topmount Cast Turbo Manifold. Let me know your experience please - Honda-Tech
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

In what gear danz.... I'm hitting 18-20psi at the top of second and 22 very quickly after shifting to third....top of second being 8300-8500 rpms...it drops a few between shifts but I shift a little slow on the street in hope to keep the trans n diff in one peice

If I could hit 20+psi at 5500 id hop right over to the log...

Again I'm not worried about 10hp/tq ....if it would cause my torque to fall way off or lose 40hp/tq on the top its not worth it....I'm kinda limited to winding it out.because of he vitaras if I had forged I wouldn't care...I just shift at 9.5k and call it good

Again I want to hit the manic 400+Whp on the dyno....is like 130+ traps but will be happy with upper 120's and 11 in the quarter ......I need driver mods and more seaT time and a few other things to hit 10s but want it powerful enough for.it
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

what times where u gettin on the setup before? and what power? u may have said this before im just bein lazy and didnt look. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in