Large throttle body for daily driver - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Chinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Large throttle body for daily driver

I had planned on using a gsr tb I have for my boosted z6, whp goal of 300-400. I'm been consdering getting a 68-70mm tb instead. What effect will such a large tb have on daily driving?

Thanks.
Chinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Make sure all the piping going to it is that size as well or it won't matter. A bigger TB will usually give some gains at higher RPM but at a loss for low end torque.

Do you have a performance intake manifold? Skunk2/OBX/Blox...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

or an edelbrock intake manifold has a better design then skunk2. if you have a lightweight flywheel, the bigger throttle body is a nice upgrade, makes engaging the clutch easier with a light flywheel

40MPGd15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

I don't think I would go as big as a 70 for a street car, especially with a heavy pressure plate and firm clutch. I've driven a few cars setup with way more crap than they needed to make adequate power on the street and they just were a pain to drive slow.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie

either get an edelbrock 65mm or a B series 60 or 62mm. bbk's dont come with a tps sensor or anything, edelbrock comes with a calibrated one. but for the price a b series 62mm is pretty dam good compared to 2-300 for an edelbrock or bbk 65mm

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40MPGd15b7 View Post
if you have a lightweight flywheel, the bigger throttle body is a nice upgrade, makes engaging the clutch easier with a light flywheel
Excuse me but WHAT?

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Excuse me but WHAT?
Lmao.

As the 'Beave explained to me, having a large throttle body like a 68mm or 70mm is just far too big for those goals. It becomes an "on/off" switch, stupid response for a DD.

Stupid, as in horrible.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

You can get a 66mm or 70mm from skunk2 for like 130 shipped for the delta series

I bought the 70mm myself and haven't gotten it on the car yet, I'm going to be coupling that with the edelbrock intake mani with ported to 70mm inlet....but I have more of a drag car that I drive on the street and retained the interior for comfort....I'm willing.to give up a lil drivability to gain a bit of the upper rpms....I wanted my stock sleeves to be my limiting factor with no other bottlenecks

But I'm deffinatly in for more info

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I daily on a 70 mm. not too bad but it definitely takes getting used to with a light flywheel and what not.

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wischmaster View Post
Lmao.

As the 'Beave explained to me, having a large throttle body like a 68mm or 70mm is just far too big for those goals. It becomes an "on/off" switch, stupid response for a DD.

Stupid, as in horrible.
No, I just want to know how the )(#$$# a larger throttle body supposedly makes a clutch engage easier.

Turbocharged can use larger TBs than NA engines, without much detriment at all. I still think 70mm is overkill unless you have a sleeved engine, but hey, rock on. Mid 60's is a good spot for most street driven turbo cars.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

You want the air/fuel mixture to retain as much velocity as possible on it's way into the cylinders. The cylinders move a finite amount of air. If the passage through which the mixture travels on it's way to the cylinders is too big, the velocity will decrease and the amount of mixture that makes it into the cylinder (and pushes out the spent gasses) will be less meaning you will make less power.

Small changes to the diameter of the passage have large effects on the volume (and therefore potentially the velocity).

On a forced induction motor you can get away with a large TB and intake because the mixture is pressurized, but on a n/a setup you are depending upon the vacuum created by the pistons to draw the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

stock GSR throttle body....

you want something better than this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
No, I just want to know how the )(#$$# a larger throttle body supposedly makes a clutch engage easier.

Turbocharged can use larger TBs than NA engines, without much detriment at all. I still think 70mm is overkill unless you have a sleeved engine, but hey, rock on. Mid 60's is a good spot for most street driven turbo cars.
i have a 7lbs flywheel, so it takes more throttle so the motor doesnt stall when engaging the clutch in first gear, having a bigger tb gives more throttle response making it easier to engage first from a stop. make sense?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 repusnam55 is learning the way of the Drepusnam55 is learning the way of the D

dun dun dun!

91 crx, Vitaras, a6/y8,16g.
repusnam55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Oh . . . my . . . )(#*$!

Clutch engagement is a function of pressure plate stiffness, the step depth of the flywheel, thickeness of the clutch plate, coefficient of friction of the clutch material(s) for the flywheel and pressure plate combo, the lever ratio of the activation system, the "stretchiness" or compressiveness of the activation system and a few other )(#$($# factors. AND THE )(#*$()*#$ THROTTLE BODY SIZE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT.

Clutch engagement is an entirely separate issue from stalling the car since you can't balance the throttle opening with engaging the clutch.

A larger throttle body only "feels" faster because it lets in more air for the same angular opening. It's the SAME )(#*$(*#$ thing as pushing the throttle open faster. if you can't handle that, then you just plain old suck at driving.

For the record, my CRX has an 8lb. flywheel. And a stock throttle body. And a turbo. And a clutch that will make girly-men fill their diapers. )(#*$)(*#$

And you, repusnam55, you pusillanimous pissant of a turd, stop trying to instigate backyard, hokey grade school idiocy.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Last edited by The_Acid_Beaver; 03-07-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Oh . . . my . . . )(#*$!

Clutch engagement is a function of pressure plate stiffness, the step depth of the flywheel, thickeness of the clutch plate, coefficient of friction of the clutch material(s) for the flywheel and pressure plate combo, the lever ratio of the activation system, the "stretchiness" or compressiveness of the activation system and a few other )(#$($# factors. AND THE )(#*$()*#$ THROTTLE BODY SIZE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT.

Clutch engagement is an entirely separate issue from stalling the car since you can't balance the throttle opening with engaging the clutch.

A larger throttle body only "feels" faster because it lets in more air for the same angular opening. It's the SAME )(#*$(*#$ thing as pushing the throttle open faster. if you can't handle that, then you just plain old suck at driving.

For the record, my CRX has an 8lb. flywheel. And a stock throttle body. And a turbo. And a clutch that will make girly-men fill their diapers. )(#*$)(*#$

And you, repusnam55, you pusillanimous pissant of a turd, stop trying to instigate backyard, hokey grade school idiocy.
so your saying that you never noticed that it took more throttle to not stall the car when engaging when you first got your 8lbs flywheel right?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

stop while you're behind dude

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocramer View Post
stop while you're behind dude
just sayin, im not the only one i know who has a lightweight flywheel, all said it takes more throttle to engage from a stop.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 repusnam55 is learning the way of the Drepusnam55 is learning the way of the D

Wow man i just figured u were bout to go off and thought it was funny.

91 crx, Vitaras, a6/y8,16g.
repusnam55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

ForeverDeath It's a JDM Star Bitches....ForeverDeath It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

huge TB + lightweight flywheel... just the thought of even touching the gas pedal you'll red line.
ForeverDeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in