What turbo for d16z6 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What turbo for d16z6

Hey guys, im new to the forum. About to buy a 95 civic and going to invest in a turbo for it. What im looking for is a DD that will still be able to compete with u know, the competition..mustangs, gtis, things like that. im looking at around 300 hp to start off. Probably that being the max for now. I am gonna be using stock internals so i don't want to blow the engine. I have looked around the forum quite a bit but have not found a thread to match what i am looking for. What turbo should i get. I have heard good things about the Garrett 50 trim, the Garrett t3 super 60. so basically: What turbo should i get to be pretty quick without having to rebuild the internals of the motor. And keep in mind I am on a budget. Looking at around 600 to 900 for the turbo.
Thanx in advance!

Last edited by xxMELLONxx; 02-27-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention price range
xxMELLONxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

300hp is a lil high for a stock internals, you should probably aim at 225 or 250..
Blackhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 grandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

300hp on stock internals.... you will blow that thing to pieces.... if you're looking for anything above 220, you should get better rods and pistons. i would avoid buying a used turbo if you dont want to rebuild. i'd say go with a garrett t3/t4 50 trim with a .48ar hotside and stage 3 wheel. quick spool and great powerband for the street. you can get em brand new for 700.

next time you should probably search. there are lots of people that have the same goals as you and posted about it.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

go for a t28 garret turbo of a sr20det motor youll get the pwoer you want for a DD theya re aslso a ballbearing turbo which will have a quick spool they are reliable and if it blows up theres many replacement t28's around
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

get a t25 and keep it low boost..7ish and call it a day...small turbo yes but instant boost...
MrBui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Ya I figured 300 might be a bit high. But still, 225 wouldn't be too bad considering how light it is. I'm thinking about the Garrett 50 trim. If I end up rebuilding the internals later down the road what whp could that produce, 350? What's the difference between the t28 and the garrett 50 trim?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Go get a good tune. I can't stress it enough, go to a VERY reputable tuner and shell out good money for that tune. It will make or break your car.

A vendor on this site, go-autoworks, has the T3/T4 50 trim for a little less than $700. You also won't have to upgrade later down the road when you build your motor, it's perfect for your 300-350whp goal.

I think you should do more research regarding turbo setups and decide whether you want to piece it together or purchase a complete kit.
sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Well luckily I have a pretty good friend that owns a Honda performed shop not too far away. So I'm gonna have him do most of the install and tune. And I actually found a decent "kit" on Craigslist with brand name bov, ewg, etc. and some crappy turbo for 600. But I'm going to keep looking around though. Don't want to rush into a big purchase without doing proper research like I did for my previous car. But Thanx for the info I'll see what I can do about that 50 trim
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

I wouldn't say it's the end-all turbo for your needs, you can also consider a straight T3 turbo, my T3 60 trim saw 8 psi around 4k rpm, it was a fun DD.
sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 flip8419 is learning the way of the Dflip8419 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

That craigslist deal, seems abit over priced. Plus u said "Crappy" turbo, so why bother? Just search the build threads on this site and u will learn a TON.. Good luck
flip8419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

The Craigslist deal has a 50mm t3/t4 turbo unknown brand, skunk 2 manifold, hks blow off valve, turbotonics wastegate, intercooler, all the piping, and cam gears. I only say crappy turbo because I would rather buy a new name brand one. Between the t3 60 trim and the t3/t4 50 trim which will produce more torque if tuned correctly
Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via AIM to bad6as

is the gt28rs going to be too big for only 250ish whp
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
go for a t28 garret turbo of a sr20det motor youll get the pwoer you want for a DD theya re aslso a ballbearing turbo which will have a quick spool they are reliable and if it blows up theres many replacement t28's around
Not all this is true.

First the early SR20DET's S13 (redtops) came with a T25 turbo that is basically a journal bearing version of the newer GT2554R. Everything is identical except the bearings. The second version S14 (blacktops) came with a T28. In Japan they had a single ball bearing on the compressor side and a journal bearing on the turbine side.

Outside of Japan they all came with journal bearings for the S14's.

The last version S15 came with a GT2560R but they were called a GT28R then. Only of these turbos are able to make 300hp and that is the GT2560R.

There was one extremely rare T28 that came on Bluebird Gti-R that was journal bearing version of the GT2560R. It too will make 300hp but they are rare.

Personally I like small quick spoolers but that does not mean you can not make some good hp numbers. The GT2560R can be had for less $900 and is a nice turbo. The TD04 turbos from the 15T up also spool nice and will make 250ish. The TD04 18T and 19T will make 300-340whp and spool very well. These are the quick spool turbos as well as the T25 turbo from the SR20DET (but no others) and the T28's.

For mild spool and more hp just about any T3T4 turbo will work. Of them the 50 trim is the best. It spools quicker then the bigger 54, 57, and 60 trim but it also has a slightly larger exducer which gives it a much better efficiency range. It also flows just as much as the larger compressors listed.

I would also consider the TD05 up to the 16G, Big 16G, and the 18G. There are some other turbos but these are the most common.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.

Last edited by mhamrick; 02-29-2012 at 08:27 AM.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Alright I thought of something else. I'm on a budget of 4000 max. Should I use thy to rebuild and turbo the d16 or try to find a b18c and swap it in. The d16 motor has 160k miles which I am unsure if I want to put that under so much stress.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Screw a B18C. For the same money you can have a D that will rip a stock B18C a new ass hole. Get some Vitara pistons and rods. Then a general rebuild of the motor. Buy a cheap cast eBay manifold, Go auto has some cheap intercoolers that will work (email him) as well as plumbing. Keep an eye on the for sale forum for wastegates and BOV's.

With $4000 you can make a strong 300whp motor that will make decent mpg, excellent hp, and be very decent daily driver. With a cam you can get close to matching the B18C revs. The major differences will be horsepower of course and the turbo will not be nearly as linear. It depends on what you like.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Awesome, so the high mileage won't be much of an issue since I'm gonna be doing a rebuild?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 d~nice will become famous soon enoughd~nice will become famous soon enoughd~nice will become famous soon enough

Shouldnt matter much. If your gonna rebuild later on just get em .5 over for the pistons so you dont have to worry about the cylindar walls be ovalized or anything. Also you will need a compression test before you boost it to make sure the engine can handle it without breaking. But for 3-4 g's you can have a 300-400 whp car no prob with the little d-series.

That deal on craigslist doesnt sound that bad at all. Youd be over 600 just for the Turbonetics wastegate HKS bov and skunk2 IM. Go check it out and see what condition its in cant hurt. The garrett 50 trim seems like a good choice for sure.
d~nice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

It could be, depending on the engine, but a rebuild will take care of that, if you do it right.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamrick View Post
There was one extremely rare T28 that came on Bluebird Gti-R that was journal bearing version of the GT2560R. It too will make 300hp but they are rare.
i had one....it was great....and it actually out flows the gt2560r

gt25 = 30lbs/min
t28 = 33lbs/min
disco potato = 35lbs/min

i sold it to 90civichillclimber....i got it off a buddy who had a pulsar gti-r swap in a nissan 200sx and he upgraded to a huge ass schwitzer(sp?) turbo

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

So I believe I have one more question. The labor price for the rebuild, tune, and turbo install. How much would that cost do you think. I'm pretty good at working on cars so should I try to do any of the install or rebuild myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in