D16y7 Turbo Build Parts list? some questions too - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16y7 Turbo Build Parts list? some questions too

My goal is 200-250whp for this first build, the car in question is a 97 civic LX 5 speed, my dd.

I had to do some work on it last year right after I bought it, I never thought I would be doing this with my little econo box, but the Honda bug bit me .

I replaced the y7 tranny with one from a 93 lx I got on CL for 70 bucks, shifts great, and a new exedy oem clutch and flywheel, other than that the maintenance is up to date, but the motor has 210k on it and burns a quart every 1k, looks to have been slightly neglected in its past, so that will need a rebuild soon, so I decided to throw some money at it and make it a fun reliable DD, but this is my first honda so idk where to go with this.

I want to rebuild it to turbo it, so any suggestions on what to do with it to meet my goal would be great. I realize the transmission's ratio is not very good, and the stock clutch is not going to hold, I am more concerned about getting the build list started, I am currently on CL hunting down a y8 tranny and looking at ACT stage 3 clutches and 11lb flywheels to hold the power. Also looking to get a regrind done, but I am hearing mixed reviews on the regrind quality and price vs performance gain, am I better off staying stock with the cam?

I have about 1000 dollars to throw at this right now, with plenty more coming when my taxes arrive...

So if anyone has a parts list or some suggestions of parts to meet my goal that they could help me with, that would be great, thanks.
Brenden747 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat

Search. This site has a lot of resources!
But I would say a t25 turbo would be good for your goals and have a fast spool
And you could probaly just rebuild the motor oem and be fine w/ a good tune!
HB turbo--> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yup search around. If your leaning more towrds the 200whp mark your stock block should be enough with a good tune and some arp headstuds. anything over 215 i personally would swap out internals for vitara pistons and Fj rods. But this has been covered a thousand times on this site.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

And not saying your better off with a stock cam but your stock head will work fine. Depending on how cheap you want to go a 14b or 16g Mitsubishi turbo would work or you can get a quality garret, all depends on how much your looking to spend. I would get a z6 head if i were you they can be found cheap as dirt on craigslist.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

On my d16y7 i made 230 whp with a 15g turbo 310cc injectors d16y8 intake manifold swap and I converted to obd1 and tuned it on crome pro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Dont forget tune snd emissions. Your running a 97 that's obd2. in the states it will have to pass an obd2 scan test.
But yea look around on here and get some build ideas and can you do fab work? If not your kit price will go up for premade parts.

Good luck.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

My friend works as a welder for a company that makes complete race cars for dirt track racing, mod4 ect, they can custom make headers and down pipes for me, but I will likely have to buy the BOV/Waste gate and IC/piping myself.

I'm from MN so no emissions checks or any of that crap.

what is the max whp I can pull with a 14b or 16g?

How about this piston/rod combo on CL?
turbo pistons

Injectors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320cc-inject...item3f13b57caf

Last edited by Brenden747; 02-26-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 UnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to allUnderDPressure is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

My first setup on stock Z6 with P-fab log mani,Ebay T3 .42/.48,RC 310's, tuned on Crome gold made 216hp/186tq with super quick spool..it was fun for about 3 months but i got the boost bug and wanted more..lol
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden747 View Post
My friend works as a welder for a company that makes complete race cars for dirt track racing, mod4 ect, they can custom make headers and down pipes for me, but I will likely have to buy the BOV/Waste gate and IC/piping myself.

I'm from MN so no emissions checks or any of that crap.

what is the max whp I can pull with a 14b or 16g?

How about this piston/rod combo on CL?
turbo pistons

Injectors
320cc injectors eclipse miata honda upgrade | eBay
K believe those turbos will take you to 200-230.
The injectors are supra ones. They will work but there is better stuff out there. Dsm injectors or rc for cheap price.

No clue.on the pistons/rods not my area of the field.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

K, I hope someone who knows about those rods/pistons chimes in...

what is the limit on those 300cc injectors?

where do you get a descent IC and piping?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

you can get IC and piping from any one of the supporting vendors here on dso
d16turboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in