EVO 8 turbo manifold question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default EVO 8 turbo manifold question

So I really want to use evo 8 turbo on my vitara build, and I don't know if I should buy a t3 manifold and then buy evo 8 to t3 adapter plate they sell on ebay for $99. Or I was thinking about buying evo 8 turbo manifold and replacing evo 8 exhaust flange with d16 exhaust flange. I wanted to know the specs on evo 8 exhaust flange compared to d16 flange to see if spacing for exhaust ports is close enough. If anybody has pics of two flanges compared or the specs, or if anyone tried it, that would be nice.

Here is a pic of evo 8 manifold I was planning to buy

And here is a link to adapter plate on ebay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
slvr_skittle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

Insert "facepalm" pic here ----->

But seriously why would you do that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

one word...budget

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

one word...FAIL.

just find a d series manifold that has a 16g turbo flange.

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

pick one

RCAutoworks

add this

Mitsubishi Evo 8/9/10 Turbine Inlet Flange - Stainless | eBay

and your a baddass on a budget

those ss ebay manifolds wont last two day....the facts are out there do your research

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

Last edited by scottdh20; 03-12-2012 at 07:39 AM.
scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 D16Savage smells like BoratD16Savage smells like BoratD16Savage smells like BoratD16Savage smells like BoratD16Savage smells like BoratD16Savage smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

the runner spacing will not be the same most likely..
even if it is those ebay manifolds are so thin they can barely support a adapter flage on the end of it budget goes to fail if you have to buy a new one every week
D16Savage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 boxx is learning the way of the Dboxx is learning the way of the D

If you add bracing to an SS auto manifold it will last.. for a while... but normally you'll have to redo the collector welds as well... I understand budgets but don't rush getting the right parts the first time.. the runners won't line up correctly either from an evo to a single cam.... unless your a fabricator to redo the runners.. but then you've just gone over budget from what you could have done and just bought the right manifold the first time
boxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxx View Post
If you add bracing to an SS auto manifold it will last.. for a while... but normally you'll have to redo the collector welds as well... I understand budgets but don't rush getting the right parts the first time.. the runners won't line up correctly either from an evo to a single cam.... unless your a fabricator to redo the runners.. but then you've just gone over budget from what you could have done and just bought the right manifold the first time
x2
rainman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably going to toss the evo 8 manifold idea and keep searching to see what I end up with.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxx View Post
If you add bracing to an SS auto manifold it will last.. for a while... but normally you'll have to redo the collector welds as well...

untrue....i have seen several first hand ebay manifolds where the runners strait blew out....like the peice of pipe blew itself up....welds were all fine

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 boxx is learning the way of the Dboxx is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
untrue....i have seen several first hand ebay manifolds where the runners strait blew out....like the peice of pipe blew itself up....welds were all fine
I've never seen that happen...but ya know it never hurts to hear the other stores... the thickness of the materials used to create the runners, i wouldn't doubt they would split under the right conditions... but i've seen the welds crack and seperate before the metal fatigues and fails
boxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjdmcivicek9xx View Post
one word...FAIL.

just find a d series manifold that has a 16g turbo flange.
Derp. Evo 8 doesn't have a normal 16g flange.

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 d16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

This is my plan to run one of these turbos also, but I may custom build a manifold.

I'm truly loosing faith in the intelligence of honda owners everywhere.
My Build-->>
d16auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

You have to build a custom manifold or buy one from . . . dangit. There's a company that makes them.

Anyway, you can't use a log manifold on a twin scroll turbo, unless you want to run it like a normal open scroll turbo, which is just plain dumb.

You could do it with a mini-ram, though.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
You have to build a custom manifold or buy one from . . . dangit. There's a company that makes them.

Anyway, you can't use a log manifold on a twin scroll turbo, unless you want to run it like a normal open scroll turbo, which is just plain dumb.

That's one of the reasons why I wanted to use evo 8 manifold with d16 exhaust flange, to utilize twin scroll function of that turbo.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post

B-EVO/D-EVO turbo manifold – CTD Fabrication

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 flip8419 is learning the way of the Dflip8419 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

If your on a budget, why not just buy a cast mani on ebay for like 60$?
flip8419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90dirtydsi View Post
Yup! That's it.

Custom manifolds SHOULDN'T be cheap. Even a simple log manifold needs to have the time put into it to line everything up, fit everything correctly, prep it for welding, and have it welded correctly. Time is money for these things. Cheap means that corners are being cut, and that, in turn, means you aren't getting the best performance. Sometimes that isn't a big deal, but other times, it is.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

The OEM's that have twin scroll turbos aren't using super nice ram horns. They have something in between a Mini-Ram and a normal cast manifold. Might be a bit cheaper to design something similar, than a normal bag of snakes.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the link 90dirydsi. I emailed them and will wait for a reply to see if the manifold is within my budget, which it probably isn't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in