Turbo intake filter question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Turbo intake filter question

Hey,
This is just a general question, because I am going to be using a turbo in an experiment for a class so I need a better understanding..
In particular, I am a little confused on the intake filter, and whether or not it is actually needed.

I am asking because during the experiment I would like to obtain some rpm readings of the compressor blades..

I know I have seen cars with intake filters over the compressor inlet AND without them .. it confuses me because i would assume at least a mesh screen needs to be used so debris does not enter the system; but the cars I a mentioning do not have anything covering the inlet .. at least to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by barkin'; 02-17-2012 at 08:36 PM.
barkin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

You should have a filter, but many don't run them. Anything that enters through the compressor will be turn to shreds and probably get stock in the intercooler, but it'll eat up the wheel over time too. Not to mention sandblasting the engine isn't that great either.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Filter is most definitely needed. Turbo ingestion is bad and at best catastrophic. You can use wire screen, like from a screen door, and a hose clamp. Then some thigh high panty hose. Color doesn't matter, but I use white to see when it started to get dirty. You put it on your arm or leg then roll it down. That way it's not all bunched up. I would change it once a month depending on how often I drove the car. And for more filtration you can add some K&N filter oil. Same concept except way cheaper. Just try not to stretch it too much when you put it on the turbo.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

I would def use one... it saves the life of your turbo and/or motor.... I mean it just makes sense to use something so low cost to prevent larger costs in the future... I use a 3 inch K&N cone filter for my t3/t4.... works perfect!
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Yaa, see i figured some type of filter would be necessary .. So do the people that dont run the filters jus not give a fuck? lol

i have noticed that many of the cars i see w/o filters are show-type cars, so do they jus do that for looks/because the car rarely gets driven?? although i know ive seen a video of bisimoto showin off his wagon, nd there was no filter over the compressor inlet and the car was running! o_0 lol

So it seems like, at least for my experimental purposes, it will be okay to run it without a filter .. the turbo wont be on an actual car, nor do i care for the life of the turbo. I jus need to run it a few times, to obtain a few readings .. i.e. inlet/outlet temps, pressures, velocities, rpm's of the blades and flow rates .. nd then hopefully obtain an efficiency..
I jus wanted to make sure things wouldnt go terribly wrong during the experiment if i have no filter on.. lol

Thanks!

Last edited by barkin'; 02-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.
barkin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

I ran without a filter for 12k miles without much issue, just a screen on my previous turbo. However it was rather stupid to take a risk like that, I run a 3" intake and K&N filter now.

It cost me around $50 for everything including coupler, pretty cheap compared to replacing your turbo

Cost me $49.25 altogether from Advance Auto.

Buy these online, search for part numbers:
K&N RE-0930
(2x) Spectre 45* 3" elbow (part number 8738 )
Spectre 3" coupler (part number 8771)

Use coupon BIG30 in cart for $30 off $75

Pickup in store, total is $46.46 before tax

sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

It's not that they don't give a f*ck. If you look at that pic. The engine is pretty spotless. They may also run a filter until they get where they're going, then take it off to show off the $2000 turbo they bought. Wouldn't you? Also with the turbo under the hood, the splash guard under the engine compartment is still installed, you have a radiator in front of everything. As long as you are not driving down a ton of gravel roads or dirt roads you shouldn't ingest anything. Now if you have large openings and a ton of places for things to get in and bounce around and possibly get sucked into the turbo, probably not a good idea. Put something on it.

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in